+ Reply to Thread

Battery behavior

I've had an I300 now for three days. I've charged both batteries for over 12 hours, but don't think I have left them in the charger for the full reccomended 24 hours. But, I am getting some strange behavior, and I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced it. I guess I will have to let everything sit in the charger for 24 hours (hard to be w/o your phone for a full day, though).

Basically, after almost a full day of phone usage (not that many calls this second day, but a fair number of IR hotsyncs, and a fair usage of the PDA side), I was accessing the wireless web. Going in to this, my battery indicator had shown 2 "segments" on the top LCD, and about two thirds filled on the screen, indicating I had plenty of juice.

Halfway through a web session of about 5 minutes, I get the rapid three beep noise of low battery, and sure enough, now the battery indicator is red on the screen and empty. Chalking this up to perhaps not fully charging the phone, I hang up. However, about 20 minutes later (and never putting it in a charger!), I look back and now the battery indicator shows two thirds full again!!

Is this jumping around of the battery full indicator common, or is it a result of me not following the 24 hour full charge instruction? On a related question, which of these activities are the most battery intensive activies:
    • Talking on the phone
    • Accessing the web (is this just the same as talking on the phone?)
    • Using the Irda port
    • Using the speakerphone
    • Vibrating ringer going
    • Lighting up the main screen
    • Other?
    I'm wondering if something I'm doing (like lots of long hotsyncs using the IR port) is using the battery more rapidly than usual, or otherwise confusing the phone battery metering.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)

Administrator

Arrow

all of those you listed will cause faster drain than just letting the phone sit in standby...

whats happeneing with the battery is that Li-Ion batts, althuogh they have no memory, they are not good for high current drain devices, like cell phones with web browsers, Ir and speakerphone components installed (those are what make the phone a high current device).

anyway, when you use the phone in web mode, it has a strong conenction to a tower and the tower tells it how much power to transmit (up to the .6 watt limit). in doing this, a lot of juice is flowing form the battery and some cells in the battery will deplinish their power over others, and when this happens, the battery indicator will show a "lower" charge. when you are not using the phone, the cells "equalize", and thus will show the tru charge after sitting idle for a few minutes... this is why when you put a phone on charge and take it off after a few minutes, it shows a larger charge than it actually is...

sorry for being so long, but what happens is normal.. you should get more time out of your batteries after a few charge cycles and daily use. you can keep both batteries charged and you dont need to drain them down to zero. cycle the batteries in the phone every few days to keep the cells in good condition.

Marc:
    Thanks for the above explaination, but I have never expereiced the symptons above. And I use my phone, PDA, Data Calls, and hot syncs a lot. Once I lose a bar, it is gone, never comes back. I have found that my batteries drain VERY uniformly. I have never seen them jump up and down before. Again, as I have mentioned in the past, I use 2 extended batteries pretty much exlclusively, and rotate them until dead. I usually leave the spare battery in the charging cradle until the other is dead (unless of course I need to be out of the office).
    Carl

Question Can main battery maintain charge of internal battery?

OK. . . so I've got my replacement phone after having the problem that the phone kept shutting off on its own, which apparently had something to do with a defective internal battery (although I never lost any data while changing batteries).

So here is my question. I did the charge for 24 hours when I received the new phone and then went into my usual routine of keeping the phone on for 24 hours a day using the extended life batteries and simply swapping to a fully charged battery every morning. The phone never sees the cradle except during syncs.

Is this sufficient to keep the internal battery charged or does the phone have to sit in its charger every now and then for an extended period to keep the internal battery up to snuff? Perhaps this is the reason I had problems with my first phone?

Any thoughts, especially well-informed, appreciated. Heck, even ill-informed thoughts are welcome!
    Sandy

Administrator

Arrow

the internal battery needs to be charged 24 hours atleast before you use the phone. you have dont that... as long as you keep a batteryon the phone it will keep the internal battery up.. even if the external batt DIES on you while your out, keep the battery attached gto the phone.. it has enuff residual juice to keep the internal batery going.. and that internal batery keep the memory and other systems running in the phone... now the batery would last without a extarnal battery on it for about 48 hours, then you will lose data..

yu also dont have to have th phone in the charger, just keep a fresh battery on it and you will be fine.

re: Battery Behavior

I have seen the behavior you describe with my lithium ion battery powered digital camera. If a take a lot of flash shots in a row, even with the battery freshly charged, my battery meter goes into the red very quickly. Then if I turn off the camera for 15 minutes or so, the power jumps right back up again, without charging. I always ascribed this behavior to some sort of heat effect on the Li-ions, but I like the explanation provided here.

Also, thanks for the words of wisdom about the internal battery.
    Sandy

Administrator

Arrow

i must apologize for my typos... i need a keyboard with bigger keys..

Q: Batteries and charging

Just got a I300...(from here on sphi300!)

Have a question for those of you who use it on a daily basis.

Do you let the battery run down, and then change to the spare and charge the first?

Or do you charge the battery say, at night when you're asleep, (on a daily basis)

I have friends who do the latter with their cell phones, they dont' seem to have reported any detrimental effects from doing so.

wondering what the masses out there do...

thanks!

Bill

Napoleon Bonaparte Jr.

Hello

This batteries you can churge any time you want .

You do not have to worry about , read the instractions .

Very good batteries ...

In my dream Toshiba 2032 has the same batteries ...

Feel free to change at your leisure. Wouldn't want to get caught without any juice would ya?

Administrator

Arrow

welcome to the board. please do a search next time before yuo post.

we use Li-ION baterries and you dont have to worry about overcharging them or any battery memory, just excercise the cells in both bateries by using both every once in a while and you will be A-ok!