+ Reply to Thread

Can't HotSync, very frustrated

I know this sounds crazy but I just bought a refurbished I300 on Ebay because it fit my budget and had what I need in a phone/PDA. I got a USB connector with the phone and it charges the phone alright but I can't seem to HotSync and I am becoming very frustrated. It should be noted that I have a PDA already installed on the computer and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if the USB and or the I300 are not compatible with my system. I am running Windows XP and have the latest version of Palm Desktop installed on the computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Additional information

In case anyone is actually looking at this forum here is some added information. I found some info indicating that I needed to add a driver to my system which would allow the USB to communicate with my originally serial port equipped unit. I have installed that software and the computer now says that something is connected to the USB but it doesn't recognize what it is. The device manager shows it as an unknown device and I can't seem to do anything to get windows to recognize it. This unit isn't really that old, only about five years and Windows should definately be recognizing it. Any and all assistance that anyone could give would be appreciated.

An i300? I had one of those. I'm not very technically adept, but... often my computer won't recognize my phone (currently i600) when I place it in the docking station. However, if I simply remove it from the dock and replace it again, that has worked--it sometimes took several removal/replacements to do that. That's true for both of those phones I've had. Secondly, try using a different USB port on your computer, if it has one.
    Keith
    ~ My karma ran over my dogma. ~

USB hotsync of I300 unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by celticbass1
    ... The device manager shows it as an unknown device and I can't seem to do anything to get windows to recognize it. This unit isn't really that old, only about five years and Windows should definately be recognizing it. ...
    You've hit the crux of the matter. I also got a similar cable for my i300 and encountered the same trouble. I have not found a USB driver that recognizes the I300, and have been advised that none exists. I consider it less of an issue of MS/Windows support and more of Samsung. In cell phone / PDA terms, five years is a real long time.

But don't despair, there are alternatives: You can hunt down or dust off a serial cable or charging cradle, and get a USB to serial adapter. Another user on this forum reports success with a cheap USB IR dongle and hotsync via IR. In any event, the USB cable you have is the most compact option for charging your phone.