+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deibelsan View Post
    Man, I haven't been on this board in forever and what do I see, Crogs and BB?

I do like my Centro though because I now text and do the data thing.

Regards.
    Just like bad pennies, we always turn up.

And exactly what do you do when you "do the data thing?"

Have a good LD weekend.

B B
    That'sssssssss all folks!

sms is the tough part. That was the driving force that sent me to the 700p. not knowing who's texting me and trying to get people to text via email or indicate who they are is just plain dumb. If Sprint wouldn't have left the i500 in the SMS dark ages, it probably would've lasted a bit longer. That, and I wish the PalmOS version would've been better. Their PIM got much better with more fields, multiple adrs and such.

Has this site in general taken a nosedive in favor of more specialized sites based on OS? It's funny if you look at threads, the ones that have the most viewers are the old school phones and phones that don't seem to have dedicated sites. There were 7 people viewing the i500 forum on here compared to 1-2 for the others.
    Last edited by crogs571; 09-03-2009 at 12:00 PM.
    Save at least 15% on ProClip Products. PM me for info how to order. My website is down now that I dumped comcast for verizon.

Ahh, its weird to be here. I was looking up for old Sprint PCS clothings on ebay, and I instantly thought of my old i500 and this webpage. So here I am, and it's surprising to see this forum still carrying on, albiet a lot less busier than it was _then_.

Well, Ive moved on to BB 8830, which is nice for about a year. I like it quite a bit, tho it's not as compact as the i500 (of course!).

Might have to go on to BB Niagra (tour) much sooner than expected, but I'll have to wait and see if I get the Sprint aircard from my work place. That would be the driving force on whether I'll get Tour or not.

All those aside, I hope that somebody in Sprint will wisen up and re-evaluate the i500 and maybe contract somebody to make it -truly- functional. I mean, come on -- a clam shell smartphone CURRENT standards? So uberly awesome.

I am going to miss this forum. Everybody has been great - all problems got solved w/o Sprint - who is useless. Still on the i500 - but lack of sync with new computers and lack of Palm support, I will go go Win Mobile. Probably will go to the HTC Touch Pro 2 when it can get shipped. The lack of hard sync with PRE knocks it out - and my son had 2 PRE's with tech problems and went back to HTC.
    i500 still works - good phone quality and great form factor, but seriously outdated.
    With the spare batteries I picked up - still get lots of time out of the charge. Thanks to MB - got a browser working - but with new computer (Vista 64 bit)- the sync is now useless
    They didn't call me the dinosaur for nothing.
    BB - going to Cambridge this week - spent most of the summer in RI - weather great in August - finally.
    Steve
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

Happily Converged
    Hey, kids, it's good to see you all in the old playground again.

Crogs, I have to disagree with you about the Pre. Having added Missing Sync to enable syncing with my Macs, I find it a worthwhile substitute for my i500, with the added functionality of easy emailing, web browsing, texting, bluetooth, mp3 player, and camera.

Best to all!

Quote Originally Posted by stevedrummer View Post
    I.
    BB - going to Cambridge this week - spent most of the summer in RI - weather great in August - finally.
    Steve
    Drummer man:
    Was in SF for a week (week before last), usual COLD summer there. If you want to meet up for lunch in Boston (near South Station, easy to get to) this week (9/7--11) send me an PM.

Et al.

One of the things I miss most about the I500 is the camaraderie of this site. Crackberry is filled with (you guessed it) a bunch of crack heads; and as for Treocentral, they would not know a joke if it bit them.

Oh well, just like dragons, sand boxes do not forever last.

With rue my heart is ladened
    For many a rose-lipped maiden
    And many a light-foot lad.

By brooks to broad for leaping
    The light-foot lads are lain,
    And rose-lipped maids are sleep,
    In fields where roses fade.

Two extra points for the author's name.

Best to all,

BB

Hi guys, just checking in. Took me a minute to remember my login, which I have from back when this was smartphone.com .

I'm STILL running my i500, going on 6 years now, having bought mine the month it came out after a year of waiting for it to come out. However my time with it is now drawing to a close. A couple thing have broken on it (yay scotch tape), the battery is wearing out, SMS limits are becoming more of a problem, and yes I guess I want the new shiny.

This past weekend I had a chance to talk at length with the DateBk3/4/5/6 developr ( Pimlico ) and that clinched it for me: my next phone will be Android. I've been eyeing the Android platform for two years since Google announced it, have been watching the G1 rollout on T-mobile, and have been seriously salivating over all the next models coming out this summer and fall ( see Android Central ). Pimlico will be targeting the Android platform for its new Pimlical application, but won't have it ready until mid 2010, so I will probably just limp along on Android's built-in capabilities until then.

So it looks like I'm going to set aside November to tackle this and take the plunge with the HTC Hero, launching on Sprint on Oct 11th. I have to set aside a whole month because I seriously have my life revolving around the PIM functions in my phone, and it'll take that long for my to study and then migrate. Calendar, contact, memos, encrypted passwords, desktop syncing, etc.
    Last edited by ChrisC; 09-10-2009 at 10:51 AM.

I too am Palm PIM dependent (phone book over 4K items with many LONG entries) and also Yahoo mail has all my mail history since time began. Will be most interested in learning how you make out. I suppose I could continue to use Yahoo mail even if I had to use Google for my phone book and calendar. Yet I like having a current hard disk copy should I not be able to get onto the net either at home or while traveling.

Thanks,

B B

Happily Converged
    A. E. Housman: A Shropshire Lad

Two, no Three, no Four Points

Quote Originally Posted by booklaw View Post
    A. E. Housman: A Shropshire Lad
    You get two, no three for you recognized it even though based on memory I did not get it exactly right; not FOUR POINTS for you were kind enough not point out my errors!

With rue my heart is laden
    For golden friends I had,
    For many a rose-lipt maiden
    And many a lightfoot lad.

By brooks too broad for leaping
    The lightfoot boys are laid;
    The rose-lipt girls are sleeping
    In fields where roses fade.

B B

Well have the HTC TP 2 now - satisfies my hard copy contact list on Outlook - used Pocket Mirror to convert from Palm - Monkeyboy helped a little here.
    Outlook not as good as Palm - but at least my 1,000 contacts and old calendar on on computer (leaving my Palm desktop for backup on old files - but the failure of Palm to sync to Vista from old devices ruined Palm for me - after 10 years)
    Learning to cope with no flip - but installed a lock program so I don't run things or make calls from my pocket.
    Last night for example, the phone was getting warm in my pocket - and found I had NFL mobile playing a game on TV - to my surprise.
    I may be the last to leave the i500 - it worked right up to the end - again thanks to Monkeyboy.
    later,
    Steve
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

Last to leave - my arse!

Quote Originally Posted by stevedrummer View Post
    I may be the last to leave the i500
    I like my i500.

I am not discouraged by all the bad talk here.

I will be keeping XP computers around when Ballmer is long past ripe underground - just to sync and be happy.

{you all frighten me so with your visions of a future sans desktop}

-the only problem with the i500 was choosing Samsung for a partner. Clearly there was a power struggle going on which manifested itself in some shortcomings. But the basic idea has obviously proven sound via number of devotees.

Have a bunch of i500 stuff, phones, batteries, chargers, etc. - willing to sell - if anyone wants - did think I was one of the last - but glad some still use it. It clearly was the best phone and Palm desktop far superior to Outlook. Learning curve on Win Mobile is steep, but the sync problem with Vista killed me. Also only used the infrared on the i500 - what a pleasure - no wires.
    stevedrummer
    - Herm Albright

Bunch of i500 stuff

Steve,

Sorry for the slow response; usually here only rarely - when things go wrongly you know.

Am curious about the equipment you have and the prices, etc. Cautious about posting my email address here. But I guess there is a feature for turning that on I need to find.

I have also upgraded to a new desktop with x64 Vista. Ye olde laptop is still XP and will be syncing with that. But there may be a way to make this work with Vista.

Anyone thought about running in a virtual desktop inside Vista?

You are a drums? Working?

Tom
    Last edited by QuestOnQwest; 09-28-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: add info

I have batteries, chargers both car and home plus extra phones
    Also have blue atapter with Jabra headset
    You can PM me oln this site and we can.email
    I bought a box of stuff from one of our good forum member
    stevedrummer
    - Herm Albright

Converged to near implant level
    i500 rides again (if only for awhile).

My Craigslist, mint condition Centro died a fitfil death for no reason this week & I hauled out the i500 so I cd have a PHONE while dealing with this nonsense.

The call quality is so much better.

The whole battery-clip fandango among other things means that this is probably a temporary return to i500 form, but still worth noting on this forum, the only place on earth where I can still rant about this phone!

I, too, carry my i500 with me on trips, so that I will always have a working phone - also will always have my contact, calendar, etc as a backup.
    That was Samsung's best product - they won't make em like that anymore.
    PS - if Blazorboy is reading, I just drove through snow from Cambridge to RI today - now I know why I left the east coast.
    stevedrummer
    - Herm Albright

SNOW? I am in Lisbon in 80 degree sunshine. You hang in the wrong places. I will be back home in early November, brrrrr.

Ciao.

Quote Originally Posted by QuestOnQwest View Post
    But there may be a way to make this work with Vista.

Anyone thought about running in a virtual desktop inside Vista?

Tom
    Before I switched to a Treo 755p, I had my i500 synching to Outlook on 32 bit Vista using the Chapura Pocketmirror Outlook conduits. I don't remember the exact sequence of stuff I installed though. I think first it was the Palm desktop Vista version, then the pocketmirror stuff... Maybe something else. If anyone's interested, I could probably go through my old downloads and figure it out.

But if you must use Palm desktop, you could try this: Brighthand.com - SmartPhone and PDA Discussion Or as you said, you could install Palm Desktop it and Windows XP in Virtual PC (or VMWare).
    Last edited by Bandersnatch; 11-11-2009 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by i500ski View Post
    The whole battery-clip fandango among other things means that this is probably a temporary return to i500 form, but still worth noting on this forum, the only place on earth where I can still rant about this phone!
    Just jam a few layers of tape on the back of the battery until it's a snug fit. I used mine that way for years...