+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this finally the replacement?

Anyone know about the BlackBerry Pearl 8220 (aka Kickstart)?

In an effort to retire my beloved i500, I’ve been googling “clamshell smartphone” for years, and this is the closest match I’ve found. I’d have to switch to T-Mobile and learn to make numbers act like letters, but I’m willing.

RIM BlackBerry 8220 KickStart hands-on review

I later found this, that it might come to Sprint as well, although the article is apparently referring to the non-clam sibling:

“The sexy Pearl is going to make its debut on the CDMA market, coming to US’s biggest CDMA carriers (Verizon Wireless and Sprint PCS) at the same time.”

BlackBerry Pearl for Verizon/Sprint and 83xx for T-Mobile on May 7 (Phone Arena)
    Last edited by jefboyardee; 08-09-2008 at 03:29 PM.

It is somewhat encouraging...BlackBerry KickStart 8220 video demonstration

What about all my Palm apps??

Since it appears that Palm will never solve our dilemma, we have to decide which is more important, the apps or the clamshell. And so far the choices are Treo for Palm and this BlackBerry for clamshell.

I’m already uninspired by the former, so I think I’ll be willing to abandon Palm and all the apps for the latter. Way to go, Palm. Had the world in your hand and dropped it.

It is unlikely that I would ever go for a BB in the near future because of the BB data premium ($30/mo for Sprint). I ended up (reluctantly) in the WM world instead, waiting to see what happens in the Linux world (Palm's Nova, Android, Limo, ALP, etc). So far the WM world is passable... lousy UI but reasonable wealth of apps and ok devices (there *are* a few clamshells and plenty of touch devices). And I believe WM still has much more functionality than the BB world (though its catching up...). For example, I don't know of any credible browser in the BB world that can match Safari or Opera 9.5.

MB,

How come you don't have an iPhone in the mix of phones you're considering?

-Jeff
    It's a pond. My god. It's JUST a pond!!!
    WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE??!??!!???
    -Thoreau, in a sudden moment of realization

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffois View Post
    How come you don't have an iPhone in the mix of phones you're considering?
    Well, 1) I'd have to switch carriers to AT&T (or maybe Tmobile with lousy coverage), which would mean more than DOUBLING my monthly wireless bill... no way... 2) iPhone still doesn't do a lot of things that I want to do, like Slingbox.

Over the past year, after switching away from the i500, I've been pretty happy with the Touch. Yeah, the interface is klunky, but it is definitely a much more powerful device and is nice and small. I guess I'd say that I've gotten over my "need" for a flipphone (I still have to baby this thing though). I may or may not upgrade to the Diamond -- its essentially the same device with a VGA screen instead of QVGA.

And I had a good experience with my Dash, taking it overseas this summer, using an int'l GSM roaming SIM. So I'm happy with the Dash filling that role.

So... no need for the iPhone (the Touch does it all and more), and the Dash fills what modest GSM needs I have.

I "got over" my need for a flip when it became flippin' obvious that nobody was going to develop a new Palm flip.

BTW, what ever happened to the possibility of LG doing just that?

As some of you may remember, I jumped to the Treo a couple of years ago after despairing of ever getting a replacement for the i500, so I've been paying increased data fees for a while. And going into a family plan with my wife keeps the costs from spiraling out of control.

As a Certified Apple Fanboy™, I'm delighted to have a solution that involves syncing OS X to OS X. As useful as the Palm OS was for me, this is seamless, with none of the limitations I had. Even The Missing Sync didn't do it as well as what I'm experiencing now with the iPhone, and that's taking into consideration the remarkably inept launch of MobilMe.

Palm products in pipeline

This seems as good a thread as any to post this ... This month's IEEE Spectrum (magazine for electrical engineers) has an article about Jon Rubinstein, the engineer who led the iPod hardware effort. After a few years at the Apple grindstone, he left and relaxed for a while. A year ago, he got a call from some investor friends ...

"So now he's executive chairman of Palm, where he runs product development."

"He expects the first products completely designed under his watch to begin hitting the market in 2009."

IEEE Spectrum: From Podfather to Palm's Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    It is unlikely that I would ever go for a BB in the near future because of the BB data premium ($30/mo for Sprint). I ended up (reluctantly) in the WM world instead, waiting to see what happens in the Linux world (Palm's Nova, Android, Limo, ALP, etc). So far the WM world is passable... lousy UI but reasonable wealth of apps and ok devices (there *are* a few clamshells and plenty of touch devices). And I believe WM still has much more functionality than the BB world (though its catching up...). For example, I don't know of any credible browser in the BB world that can match Safari or Opera 9.5.
    My brother runs Opera on his Blackberry.

As a side note my i500 is 5 years old now and working great. Even the original batteries work well. Though I'm having a hard time avoiding the itch to buy an iPhone or similar large screen phone. A large screen is what's necessary to get me to switch from a flip phone.

I became disillusioned with the blackberry idea, wandered off and came back to find this:

LG Lotus - exclusively from Sprint

Sprint - Define Region

It’s Sprint! It’s a clamshell! It’s a smartphone?

The LG Lotus doesn't look like it synchs with Outlook...

I checked the manual and:

1. With the microSD inserted, highlight and press Tools > USB Mode > Mass Storage.
    2. Connect your phone to your computer using a compatible USB cable. (Wait for the connection to be completed. When connected, the host computer
    will automatically detect your phone.)

So it apparently does sync, but only the contents of the SD card, I guess. But as for its overall smartness, I have no idea if it stores complete contacts, with addresses and such... and how can I live without Diddlebug?

The new phone from Palm - better than iphone
    Palm Pre in-depth impressions, video, and huge hands-on gallery - Engadget

Any thoughts? I might hang on to Palm for a while
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

Happily Converged
    I read an interview today with a Palm exec (I think it was the Pres.), who said that the new OS will not natively run any programs from the older Palm OS. He expressed a vague confidence that someone, somewhere would figure out a way to run older programs on the new device.

I found that quite disappointing.

Not running old Palm OS programs is not a huge problem for me. I'll be watching to see if it can sync with Palm Desktop. I doubt it thought. Sigh, now 5.5 years into my i500

Syncing with a current Palm desktop is a critical factor - otherwise no need to go to a newer Palm phone for me -
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

Wow! The Pre looks looks seriously sweet. I've been looking at the iphone and G1, but there are problems with both. I'm glad I waited.

The palm desktop is a key issue for me too. Foolish to give up on that installed base. Pre sounds fine but it is the webOS that will be the real thing.
    B B
    That'sssssssss all folks!

If they in fact abandon ship on the old syncing architecture, I would think that they would have trouble keeping many older Palm users. I suppose that they're counting on bringing people over from other platforms/carriers.

I read something in the NY Times to the effect that this is a strategic move by two struggling companies to help each other out. I imagine both Palm and Sprint are in BIG trouble if the Pre isn't a big hit.