+ Reply to Thread

Sprint PCS drops i500 user withtout notice

I'm sure I'm not alone in being very pissed off with Sprint PCS
    I just spent two hours with some of their finest support folks.
    Finally called the folks at Novarra to find out that Sprint has discontinued their contract to provide web services.

Bottom line I can't get onto the web from my i500 using nweb.
    And no one at Sprint thought to tell any of us i500 users.

If you are having the same trouble don;t bother calling tech support.
    Complain to their customer accounts folks and demand recompense.

I'm not sure I would believe everything Novarra says. There is a story on Palminfocenter that Palm shut down all the proxy servers for both Nweb and Webpro. That would affect more than just Sprint

jlv
    Yea, I noticed that nweb wasn't responding the other day, but I thought it was a temporary outage. When it still wasn't working today, I figured I needed to investigate more.

This is the (proverbial) last straw. I think I'll be getting an IPhone 3G with my company's discount plan.

Cry the beloved flip phone.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

check out the other thread... bottomline is, I think Xiino is the next best shot... looks like Novarra switched off ALL their proxy servers...

Funny thing is... proxied browsers are still very much IN... e.g. Opera Mini and Skyfire.... so it probably has more to do with Novarra's issues than an all out downturn on proxied browsers...
    Last edited by monkeyboy; 10-16-2008 at 04:55 PM.

Sprint PCS

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    check out the other thread... bottomline is, I think Xiino is the next best shot... looks like Novarra switched off ALL their proxy servers...

Funny thing is... proxied browsers are still very much IN... e.g. Opera Mini and Skyfire.... so it probably has more to do with Novarra's issues than an all out downturn on proxied browsers...

Can I confirm that you have been able to get Xiino working on an i500.
    And if so what proxy works with that?
    Appreciate the help of you experts!

I can't confirm that Xiino still works (because my i500 is no longer active) BUT I can confirm that the Xiino proxy server is still "on the air". The proxy it uses is pds.mobirus.com (202.229.32.79).

Not sure if you are suggesting using the Xiino proxy for nweb... it won't work.

It would be easy for you to try Xiino to verify that it still works... you can d/l it for a "free" trial.

So it looks like yes, the proxy server for WebPro has been shut down. I tried the Xiino proxy server that was posted, but that didn't work either. EudoraWeb works, since it's proxyless, but of course there are no images and limited script support. If anyone finds a free solution, please post it here, as my whole family uses this phone and I need to find a way to browse the web.

I suggest you give Xiino a try... see first if it meets your needs... for me, I preferred it over nweb/Webpro most of the time.

AvantGo was another solution that worked for some purposes...

Yes, but Xiino costs money, right? How does the trial version work? I don't think I want to spring for 4 licenses of it. Web browsing is something that is advertised as included with this phone.

I have tried the trial version of Xiino - don't know what I will do if I have to pay - may try Eudora.
    Xiino was slow for some sites - will try more later.
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

Xiino is free for the trial period (30days ?)... afterwards, well... people have found it difficult to pay for as the company has gone "quiet"... PM me for further details...