+ Reply to Thread
    AZ1

Sprint Cancels PCS email

Sprint has announced that they are canceling the PCS email accounts as of 12/31/08 (which I accessed through Snappermail). They said one should get email through web sites like hotmail. When I tried that (using EudoraWeb, the only web browser I am aware of that works with Sprint after they wouldn't recognize Blazer anymore), I got a message "unable to securely identity of host site." A tech person suggested trying the wap page for gmail, and there I got connected, but when I tried to sign in, I got a message that it used scripts and my browser would not support scripts. He suggested that maybe versamail would work, but doubted that anything would on a device this old. Suggestions please!!!

Make Sprint give you a 755p: brickish but fairly good.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

AZ1
    Thanks, but to clarify my request for suggestions: "Suggestions, please, on how I can continue to get email on my I500!!!"

Although getting a "decent" browser to work is certainly worthwhile, and I'd suggest Xiino, you probably should also look into free or cheap POP3 email accounts that will work with Eudora mail. Some are listed here:

Free POP3 Mail Services

Hotpop looks good (free with ads or $10/yr), and there are others...

What MB said. Go get a POP3 EMail address. I'm still using my i500 with Eudora mail...don't know how much longer.

I was using Versamail on my i500 without any problems. I don't remember which version I had.

Pocketgear.com is still selling 2 versions -- 2.5 for $29.99 (which says it's for any device on Palm OS 4.1) and version 3.5 for $9.99 (which says "for use with the Palm Treo 650 Smartphone; Palm T|X handheld, and Palm LifeDrive mobile manager ONLY") so it may not work on the i500.

AZ1
    But what do you use for a network with your email program? I've used Sprintpcs network and they are cancelling that? I can set up Snappermail (or Eudoramail) to go to my ISP, but first it has to get on a network.

You'll still be able to connect to the internet with the i500...they're only shutting down the sprintpcs.com email service.

FYI, I'm also using Eudora Web. My home page is PDAportal.com

AZ1
    Okay, I get it now. Thank you. Then I'll probably just stay with Snappermail. I'll check out your site.

AZ1
    Well, now I see another problem - sending email. Sprint says they don't know if they'll maintain smtp.sprintpcs.com. If they don't, do you have suggestions about how I would send email? Thank you for your help.

In SnapperMail, you need to set up both a POP (or IMAP) account to retrieve email from your mailbox at your ISP and an SMTP account to send mail through your ISP.

The servers will be named something like pop.myisp.com and smtp.myisp.com.
    Last edited by Bandersnatch; 11-05-2008 at 11:45 PM.

Somewhat off topic, but someone above mentioned the Xiino browser. It's awesome, and far better than nweb or even Blazer. It's not free, but how much is your time worth to you? If you're a die-hard i500 fan, probably a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ1 View Post
    Well, now I see another problem - sending email. Sprint says they don't know if they'll maintain smtp.sprintpcs.com. If they don't, do you have suggestions about how I would send email? Thank you for your help.
    I think there is every indication that Sprint will maintain smtp.sprintpcs.com since it will cause LOTS of problems with many customers if they don't.

The alternative is to 1) use a POP3 service that also provides SMTP service, 2) use another SMTP authentication method. A common alternative method is "POP3 before SMTP". There are also other methods -- it depends on what your POP3 service supports... you may have to change your POP client to one that will support the particular authentication method.