+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wow.

Wow.

This place is now a graveyard.

Happily Converged
    Some of us still lurk in the shadows, behind the gravestones...

Still not worth getting another phone - since I have Eudora web working.
    I can live with the text message thing for a while.

Palm may live to do another - can only hope - not sure sprint will live any longer than Palm.
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

Sprint is an issue. Its deals are the best so it would be a shame if it dies.
    B B
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Best deal, free Centro: Sprint - Define Region

I also mean the Sprint service prices; especially if you have an old program like mine: 3 phones; 2K anytime; >7pm free; free to Sprint; unlimited internet and texting; business connect; etc.; about $110 a month. Would be over $200 on VZN, I think.

Hag Sa'ma'ach.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Yeah, can't beat Sprint prices either with legacy plans or retention plans. Still check this forum although the i500 is now just my backup phone. Switched to the Centro a year ago and I have to say that while the i500 is a better phone, and form factor the new Palm OS and extra resources make Centro a really great device

Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    I also mean the Sprint service prices
    Oops, keep wandering over to a Centro forum and got lost coming back. Anyway, the i500 is still one of a kind but severely outdated now. And I’ve given up on a new Sprint Palm clamshell.

So Sprint is offering, online until Sunday, the original Centro for nuthin but a two year service agreement. That and an Everything plan gets me a lot of stuff the 500 can’t do. Hard to resist!

2009 is really a do-or-die year for Palm. Most observers believe that it is already too late, even if Nova is a decent PalmOS replacement -- but what 1.0 version OS has been truly decent ?

The Centro sold well numerically, and has kept the Palm flame alive somewhat, but the margins are so low on it and it really cannibalized the sales of the high-margined Palm Treo devices, so overall revenues are down, down. The 800w has *not* done well and it isn't obvious that the Treo Pro will do much better -- both suffer from very intense competition from the tons of great WinMo devices out there, nevermind the onward marches of both RIM and Apple's iPhone. And then there's Android, which really makes yet-another-Linux-mobile-OS, i.e. Palm's Nova, look pointless, even before it ships...

And then there is the ominous OS consolidation efforts that the carriers are beginning to institute. AT&T has been the most vocal about it -- they state that they don't want to support a multitude of smartphone OSs. They want to pick just one, and that one is Symbian, with the possible addition of the iPhone. If this sticks, it even leaves out WinMo. Verizon/Vodafone sounds like they are thinking similarly. So how can a 5th tier new OS like Nova ever make it out of the starting gates ?

We'll see very shortly what Palm has to show, later this month... I'm afraid it will be another Foleo-fiasco though...

really too bad as I truly enjoyed my 13 year relationship with PalmOS... and of course the i500 was a big part of that... the last of a breed...

And just as I was about to order the free Centro just before the midnight deadline... your synopsis clarifies what I’ve been trying to ignore. I only have three hours to find a way to disagree with you.

I probably shouldn’t get it because it’s not really what I want -- I want a new smart Sprint clamshell. But, but, but, a free Centro can use Diddlebug, the most important freeware in my world.

Nu, so what did you end up doing?

And gut yuntuf to you, BB...
    It's a pond. My god. It's JUST a pond!!!
    WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE??!??!!???
    -Thoreau, in a sudden moment of realization

I couldn’t help thinking that, given the sorry state of the economy, they’ll be giving something else away soon that’s even more up to date. So I let it slip and now it’s too late; all I can do is wait and see if I turn out to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    I also mean the Sprint service prices; especially if you have an old program like mine: 3 phones; 2K anytime; >7pm free; free to Sprint; unlimited internet and texting; business connect; etc.; about $110 a month. Would be over $200 on VZN, I think.

Hag Sa'ma'ach.

BB
    That was indeed a great plan! Amazing that Sprint hasn't reintroduced it given their need for customers...
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

I still have the i500 - the other phones are new - 4 phones about 1,500 pre 7PM non-Sprint minutes - the rest is unlimited - total including insurance, taxes, etc about $186. Can I get better?
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright