+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Evidence of Demand

The i500 is becoming an antique but some prefer it, the only Sprint/Palm clamshell:

Samsung SPH I500 - eBay (item 190278390582 end time Jan-12-09 10:21:41 PST)

Current bid: US $51.00

Are “they” paying attention? A new Centro is cheaper than that bid! Folks are willing to pay more for an antique. Features like clamshell, graffiti and Palm OS are still sought after.

I’m teetering on giving up on the next-gen i500, looking at the Centro and interested in the new Pre. They have more features, but I still look at the i500 listings... why is that?
    Last edited by jefboyardee; 01-11-2009 at 12:25 PM.

But endless snooping finds proof that the Centro, for instance, offers a lot more than our old pal:

YouTube - pocketnow.com - Palm CENTRO - video review pt1

YouTube - pocketnow.com - Palm CENTRO - video review pt2

Quote Originally Posted by jefboyardee View Post
    The i500 is becoming an antique but some prefer it, the only Sprint/Palm clamshell:

Samsung SPH I500 - eBay (item 190278390582 end time Jan-12-09 10:21:41 PST)

Current bid: US $51.00

Are “they” paying attention? A new Centro is cheaper than that bid! Folks are willing to pay more for an antique. Features like clamshell, graffiti and Palm OS are still sought after.

I’m teetering on giving up on the next-gen i500, looking at the Centro and interested in the new Pre. They have more features, but I still look at the i500 listings... why is that?
    Well asked, Chef.
    B B
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Well, looking at the form factor of the new Pre I would say "they" are listening to the volume of demand for the Iphone more so than ebay sales. I still have my i500 as a backup and sometimes I just really want to put it back into service instead of my Centro. I had the i500 in service for years and the screen never got scratched but my Centro has a couple scratches and a scrape after only one year

Yah, Im having a hard time to let go of my i500, even tho its been off for a very long time (since July when I acquired my BB 8830). I have to say that phone's the best phone I ever had. I dont think it'll still work, since Sprint no longer has PCS Vision plan, correct ?

The phone still works - for email, browsing - using Eudora web and maybe other browsers.

I still use mine - need to install the new text message patch from MB though - that little issue is the biggest drawback.
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

Quote Originally Posted by xa0s View Post
    I dont think it'll still work, since Sprint no longer has PCS Vision plan, correct ?
    No, Sprint Vision is still very much available and is the ONLY data service available for many areas of the country where Sprint doesn't (yet?) have EVDO. In addition, Sprint still releases a number of Vision-only (i.e. non-EVDO, non-"Power Vision" phones), like the Katana LX, the Rumor and the M320. There are many things for which 1xrtt data is quite adequate... And the Xiino browser really isn't that bad for a basic phone browser, although OperaMini does *kill* it (except for downloads)... so the i500 still isn't *that* bad in this day and age...

Converged to near implant level

Still using i500, any internal battery replacement info?

I am with you guys, still using my i500.

The one I have now is great except that I think it needs its internal battery replaced. Any ideas on where to get this done in the NY area? I would try myself if there were a good takeapart instruction on it.

The pre looks like a great step in the right direction. A clamshell would be better than a slider, but I can't wait to try one.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    although OperaMini does *kill* it (except for downloads)... so the i500 still isn't *that* bad in this day and age...
    I checked Opera Mini (Palm OS) - Download, which says, :OS requirements for Opera Mini: OS: Palm OS 5.0/5.2/5.4.” Isn’t the i500 stuck at a lower number?

...then I saw Freeware Palm: Opera Mini for Palm OS v4.2.13216
    Last edited by jefboyardee; 01-19-2009 at 09:23 AM.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that Opera Mini runs on the i500... What I meant was that Xiino on the i500 is generally better than most browsers that come with your average basic phone -- EXCEPT that even many basic phones can also run Opera Mini, which is, in my mind, better than Xiino (except for downloading, which Opera Mini can't do)...

As far as trying to run Opera Mini on the i500, it *might* be possible. I looked into it briefly a while ago... the problem of course is that the state of JVMs for PalmOS has been fairly miserable. But they do exist and I suppose it might be worth a try for the diehards... but also remember that the general Centro community itself has had a hard time getting a stable usable Opera Mini on the Centro... so if I were still on the i500, I think I'd stick with Xiino... at least until that proxy dies...

btw I think your link of Opera Mini for PalmOS v4.2 means version 4.2 of Opera Mini, not of PalmOS... (v4.2 is the most recent version of OM at this point)...

Thanks MB, I missed your point. I found and tried Xiino v3.0 and it works. It says I’m in evaluation mode, but I can’t google their site, so are they defunct and hence this is free?

People have tried to pay for it, but couldn't find anybody to take their money. I think the trial may timeout after 30 days, so you'll need to enter a code to continue using it. Send me a PM to discuss further... (can't seem to find a PM button to send to you...)

Yeah, I settled on Xiino a couple years ago, it's great. Had the same "please take my money" problem, and someone here (probably monkeyboy) helped me out.

5.5 years in, I'm starting to think that I'm just not going to retire this phone until I have to. And since I have a shelf spare (lightly used unit bought off friend), I think that'll be a looong time. I should say, having a blackberry for work on the other hip helps a lot (for web etc.), but the PIM functions and form factor of the i500 can not be beat.

My hope for the future is on the second (or third, or ...) wave of Android devices. SOMEBODY's got to come out with a flip. And by then maybe the PIM functions will have matured to the point of being tolerable.

Winning bid: US $73.00

I rest my case.

this was seriously the best pda phone I ever had. if this only had a <I>slightly</I> improved spec sheet, I'd throw my touch pro out the window in a heart beat. Unfortunately life revolves around exchange email support...

Here’s the latest “pristine” i500, only a buck right now but a week to go:

Samsung SPH - i500 Sprint Cell Phone. Pristine in Box! - eBay (item 280317485631 end time Mar-08-09 15:13:00 PDT)

wow, still going at it, jefboyardee ?

me, i still think its the best clamshell phone, but i've already moved on to blackberry(oh the horror).

seriously doubt i'll use it anytime int he future, so i think i should put it up on the ebay. is there a way to reset the phone to factory specs which erase -everything- i have had on it??

I keep checking i500s on eBay because I’m not thrilled about anything new. All I want is modern-day i500 that no one is developing so I guess a like-new replacement for the original is as close as I can get. Then I’m surprised at the prices these are fetching. Apparently I’m not alone...