+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I just spent all afternoon transferring my Palm Dektop stuff to the cloud, namely, Google Calendar, Contacts and Docs (aka Palm’s Memos). It’s creepy trusting all that stuff to some hard drive in Paraguay. It’s also not nearly as friendly to use as Desktop.

I get the Optimus Tuesday-ish, will confirm it accesses the correct cloud, then delete Palm Desktop off my PC, poof the i500’s brain, and drop it off somewhere. It and its five dead predecessors, batteries and who knows what. After eight years, that’s pretty spooky.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I know what you mean... switching platforms on something that is that personal is emotional. We seem to be one of the few sites that keep the "PDA" name alive... these devices are very personal because they contain so much of our lives. I went through my iPhone a week ago and decided I would delete all the contacts that are not really part of my world any more. It was like a walk through memory lane as I went through names of old clients, project names, companies, etc. I'm at a stage in life of trying to simplify things a bit, and that is just one of those things that needed to be done. Why scroll through contacts that 2/3 of which I will never contact again. But I'm a packrat trying to shift to being more lean.

I am not a cloud guy though. Our company doesn't let us use public cloud apps for anything related to work, so I just stay off them entirely. I do use Facebook quite a bit for photos and contacts with family and friends, but the rest of my data is staying local for now.

When you get the device tomorrow, please post up a thread in the Android forum and share your experience as you get going on the new device. I'd love to hear how it goes.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I moved the last question to the Android forum... follow here -> How do I manage my Android contacts/calendar on my PC?
    Mike - Been Converged?

Quote Originally Posted by Convergent View Post
    I moved the last question to the Android forum
    Gotcha, thanks. I got The Box yesterday and, out of trepidation, have yet to open it. Didn’t help that Best Buy didn’t have the screen protector they claimed to have, that Sprint and RadShack didn’t either. Afraid to touch the damn thing without a protector. Probably end up ordering one, and may actually leave the box unopened until it arrives, but I doubt it...

Since I've moved from stylus to touch based devices, I've stopped worrying about screen protectors. I'm not sure how the glass is on your Optimus, but the glass on the iPhone has yet to get a scratch with me carrying it in my pocket with no protection. The days of the stylus was different because you could easily get a grit under the stylus.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Very interesting... I never had or worried about a protector on my i500, just want one now on my touch-based -- exactly the opposite of what you just said. But, being that I still haven’t opened the box, perhaps my touch-based fears are groundless. Appreciate your knowledge...

I haven't been on my i500 in years, but still miss it in some ways. It just didn't grow with the times, sadly. Even the 550 never made it here, though I know some had it. You still have one i330?

I moved to a Treo 700, and then to the iPhone, where I imagine I'll stay. Of course, if they would make a flip version...
    It's a pond. My god. It's JUST a pond!!!
    WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE??!??!!???
    -Thoreau, in a sudden moment of realization

The i550 was a great device if it had ever seen mainstream uses. I think that had an OLED display which was bleeding edge at the time. I am not sure if a flip phone is still something that has appeal like it did back then. I liked them at the time, but eventually graduated to sliders and liked them... now the candybar style seems to be what most are going with except for the small number of sliders.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Quote Originally Posted by Convergent View Post
    I know what you mean... switching platforms on something that is that personal is emotional.
    Probably why I still use Palm OS after all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffois View Post
    I haven't been on my i500 in years, but still miss it in some ways. It just didn't grow with the times, sadly. Even the 550 never made it here, though I know some had it. You still have one i330?

I moved to a Treo 700, and then to the iPhone, where I imagine I'll stay. Of course, if they would make a flip version...
    I have a few i550's. All Sprint prototypes. Great phones, shame they were never released.
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

Emotional

I carried my 700 and my Evo for over 3 months till i figured out to get all of my palm 'Apps' and info into my evo.
    It was quite traumatic day when I finaly 'ripped the band-aid off' and officially had sprint switch numbers.
    I attributed it to putting a pet down...That phone, that platform was a big part. It's an interesting study in how we can get married to technology.
    I remember going from my i500 to the 700 wondering how I would ever get over not having a flip. Had laid hands on my i500 just recently. Man that thing was rock solid!

The one thing sorely lacking in the Android world is that syncing capabilites. But i dont mean it from a data back up capability.
    I mean the Palm's platform to get you back up and running should you physically lose/break your fone. I could get a new one, re-sync it and all of my 'apps' and application data and configuration would be synced as well.
    That's huge!
    Espically in the android world where you can customize the hell out of your device.
    Lose/break your device...sure, the could has you PIM data covered to an extent but what about all of those apps I installed and time spent configuring and getting things the way I had them.
    I think that to be androids last hurdle, a sync that will get me back up and running.

(Well, that and a port of HandsHigh ThoughtManger outline App and Desktop)

i330 - I was always jealous that you laid hands on an i550 and if I recall I seem to think you got it provisioned somehow..that you were using it? am I remembering that correctly...quite jealous to read you have a couple of i550's. Would love to hear their acquisition story. and the plan for their future as I am a bit of a tech packrat.

Thanks to all

Yep, the Palm Desktop was certainly a nice deal for restoring. Don't expect that kind of thing from Google on your desktop. They may eventually cover it completely in the cloud though. I've found that Apple has similar backup/restore for the iPhone. It even works across devices. I upgraded from a 3G to a 4G and just did a backup/restore and everything was installed automatically on the new one. But then you can customize the heck out of it the way you can with Android.

I am also jealous about the i550 stories. That was a great device that probably came along a little too late. I still like the clamshell form factor but I doubt we'll ever see those days again.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I am told the blackberry will do a hard sync with MS Outlook for phonebook and calendar. Right now I do a hard sync with Lotus Notes. I'm not sure I want to go back to even the 755p given some of the useful (not toy) apps on the blackberry. Also having WiFi and GPS is a great advantage.

B B
    That'sssssssss all folks!

sorry it took me so long to see these

Miss the palm desktop and syncing
    Using HTC TP2 - no problems with phone in pocket - found a good screen protector - after trying 3 of them
    can't remember which one - will check and report back

BB - lost all my emails (problem with Outlook) - so not in touch
    catch up with you later

Steve
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

Quote Originally Posted by stevedrummer View Post
    Miss the palm desktop and syncing
    Using HTC TP2 - no problems with phone in pocket - found a good screen protector - after trying 3 of them
    can't remember which one - will check and report back

BB - lost all my emails (problem with Outlook) - so not in touch
    catch up with you later

Steve
    Good to hear from you Steve. Coming out this way? We are in Rockport MA for much of June/July.

screen protector

the good ones are phantom skinz - works better than all others

BB
    July and August in RI
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

Well, I still miss that i500. Just saw my old i500's when I was unpacking my things at the storage site. Still gonna keep them.

For what it is worth, I succumbed to Blackberry's Style which is a lot similar in terms of clam shell. I like it so far.

Just wanted to drop by to give you guys a shout-out to those i500 fans.

jlv
    I'm still using my i500... I got it 8 years ago!

(although, I'm about to give up the flip and move to an Android brick)

Administrator
    excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by jlv View Post
    I'm still using my i500... I got it 8 years ago!

(although, I'm about to give up the flip and move to an Android brick)
    Impressive; work made me get a blackberry some time ago and it works fine, but I do miss the i500.

Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    Impressive; work made me get a blackberry some time ago and it works fine, but I do miss the i500.
    I still charge up my i500 on occasion, to see if it holds a charge...

And I'm still on WM (a Sprint Diamond), but slowly using more Android...

I *would* like to know, though, if anyone is still using the textmsg app/service that I worked on for the i500... I think it should still work, but one or more versions use a server that I'm still running and I'd like to know if its important that I keep it going...

I'll bet the direct to Sprint website version no longer works though.... (just guessing)...