+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile Am I The Last One Standing?

I thought it was time for a new thread.

Bought my first I500 in Jan. 2004. Loved it.
    In May 2004 I couldn't get a signal in my home. I later found out the tower near my house was out but I took the phone to Sprint. They said it was not receiving up to spec so the gave me a new one. I used that phone over 6 years.
    The phone has been droped more times than I can remember, many on concrete. It keeps going.
    Using a flip phone has become such a part of my routine as has my use of Palm applications that I need to store information for my business. I like Agendus calendar.
    Although less of an issue each year the ability to receive analog signals has been useful since I spend some time in rural areas.
    The past 2 years I keep looking at the offerings for something to upgrade to and don't like what I see. Customer reveiews aren't encouraging. When I finally think I might settle for something Sprint takes it off the menu.

My phone has had diagnol cracks through two of the application buttons for years but these caused no problem. This year a larger crack developed through a third button that I can see light through from the display.
    Sometimes I have to push a button a few times to get it to work. The middle row of number keys are bulging out even though they still work.
    I finally decided to buy a used I500 on ebay and had it activated last week. It shows almost no wear and works great.
    Will I get another 6 years from this one?
    I am committing to at least another year with this phone I love.

I have never been interested in Texting. When it worked I used to use the web access once or twice a month. With the small screen it was less than easy. It would be nice to have a bigger screen and have useful access but if I did I would spend all my idle time away from home playing on the internet rather than doing something useful. I can live without it.
    It would be great to send and receive email but I don't use email all that much in my business. I'm more than willing to live without that.

This forum proved useful again. I remember when I got the replacement phone 6 years ago I just plugged it in and the old phone software and settings was copied to the new. I couldn't remember how that worked and found the answer here.

Anyone else that refuses to quite their I500?

Ric

given that there are 6 looking at this forum, maybe not.

B B
    That'sssssssss all folks!

I got mine in July 2003, used it heavily for 6.5 years, and finally switched to Android (Sprint HTC Hero) in January of this year. I only came here today to post a followup* for you all on how to handle notes/memos, since that's an area where Android is particularly lacking.

I miss the speed of my old Palm-capable phone, but like having a more modern and capable phone

* migrating Palm notes/memos to Android
    Last edited by ChrisC; 08-27-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Still Standing too!!! Have not succumbed to the pressure :)

My brother, being the "tech-head" he is (works in high profile tech industry), has all the newfangled phones and goodies before they even hit the markets. He along with some of my friends are constantly ribbing me to get rid of "the brick" that lacks the bells and whistles some of the newer phones offer... I've stood strong; I am on my 3rd "new" (to me) eBay purchases now and still love it. Yes, there are a few things I would like that the newer phones have, but not enough to replace it. One of the things I missed was Bluetooth capability, but since I just found the Jabra A210 Bluetooth adapter for non-Bluetooth phones, that is no longer an issue.

Like I tell him and my friends, the day they come out with new a Palm based, touch screen flip phone, I'll be the first in line. I did have the Kyocera M175, which I absolutely loved because, it so much functionality (like removable storage card to store/access songs, ringtones, custom wallpaper, etc) but Verizon caved and did away with it . They tried to cover by attempting to find non-plausible excuses many non-technical consumers would believe, my favorite was because it allegedly "did not have 911 capability". At any rate, I did have some fun slamming them with facts that discredited many of the reasons they tried to give for no longer keeping the phone

I ended up switching to Sprint because the SPH I500 was (is) the only other palm flip phone in existence, which Sprint still activates on their net.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that you are not alone! BTW, have you or anyone figured out a way to upload ringers, or other wallpapers, or a way to SEND text???

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy55 View Post
    I thought it was time for a new thread.

Bought my first I500 in Jan. 2004. Loved it.
    In May 2004 I couldn't get a signal in my home. I later found out the tower near my house was out but I took the phone to Sprint. They said it was not receiving up to spec so the gave me a new one. I used that phone over 6 years.
    The phone has been droped more times than I can remember, many on concrete. It keeps going.
    Using a flip phone has become such a part of my routine as has my use of Palm applications that I need to store information for my business. I like Agendus calendar.
    Although less of an issue each year the ability to receive analog signals has been useful since I spend some time in rural areas.
    The past 2 years I keep looking at the offerings for something to upgrade to and don't like what I see. Customer reveiews aren't encouraging. When I finally think I might settle for something Sprint takes it off the menu.

My phone has had diagnol cracks through two of the application buttons for years but these caused no problem. This year a larger crack developed through a third button that I can see light through from the display.
    Sometimes I have to push a button a few times to get it to work. The middle row of number keys are bulging out even though they still work.
    I finally decided to buy a used I500 on ebay and had it activated last week. It shows almost no wear and works great.
    Will I get another 6 years from this one?
    I am committing to at least another year with this phone I love.

I have never been interested in Texting. When it worked I used to use the web access once or twice a month. With the small screen it was less than easy. It would be nice to have a bigger screen and have useful access but if I did I would spend all my idle time away from home playing on the internet rather than doing something useful. I can live without it.
    It would be great to send and receive email but I don't use email all that much in my business. I'm more than willing to live without that.

This forum proved useful again. I remember when I got the replacement phone 6 years ago I just plugged it in and the old phone software and settings was copied to the new. I couldn't remember how that worked and found the answer here.

Anyone else that refuses to quite their I500?

Ric

Wallpaper, Etc.

Thanks for posting. Glad I'm not alone.
    I tried to use my daughters Droid recently and realized how screwed I am if I can't have a touch screen / stylus based phone. I don't want to change.

I don't do texting. I think the work around for texting stoped working. That's part of the reason so many people left.

I haven't tried to find ringtones but there is still a website where you can download wallpaper and better yet create your own based on you pics that you upload. It is at i500 Headquarters. Skins for Samsung SPH-i500 SmartPhone

Now that I look at it they have some ringer app you can download. Also a Texting app. Not sure that works now but the wallpaper does.

Good Luck!

Ric

I so miss my i500 phone. It was hell of a DAMN good phone, tho I've moved on to Blackberry. :-/

Treo Fanatic
    I miss the form factor of my i500 but moved on when the last one I had died and I got a Treo 600 as a replacement. I stuck with Palm-based phones until early this year and finally switched from my Sprint Centro(which I did like!) to the Motorola Droid on Verizon.

Two factors lead to this switch, one of which was that the rural area I now live in is very poor for Sprint service. Sprint did all they could short of a new tower, even giving me an Airave for free, but it just was not enough. The other was that I have a business need to be able to connect to two Exchange accounts for email and the Droid was the best choice for that at the time. Verizon service costs me more per month but the better quality where I live at is worth it for me.

Heck, I think I still have my wife's i500 around here somewhere in perfect condition. I never got around to selling it.

Well well well, looks like Blackberry's new flip phone of Sprint might fit the bill!

Quote Originally Posted by xa0s View Post
    Well well well, looks like Blackberry's new flip phone of Sprint might fit the bill!
    You must be talking about the Style 9670. Funny, that phone would have tickled my flippiness a few years ago, but seeing what the new big-screen candy bars like Hero and Evo can do, Iím starting to think the flip phone idea might have gone the way of Star Wars.

But I still, six years later, have my umpteenth i500 in my pocket, hate it and love it at the same time. It gets a lot of laughs these days but people still ooh and ahh at Diddlebug, of all things.

Luddite Cellphone Puritan.
    Last edited by jefboyardee; 11-07-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xa0s View Post
    Save for not having the classic Palm PIM, it might well replace the I500. It unfortunately cannot replace my Blackberry (9700) for it does not have a GSM radio (SIM card) in addition to the CDMA radio, hence, I cannot use it while abroad.

I have grown attache to WiFi and GPS on the blackberry and may find it hard to return even to my Treo 755p (which the rest of the family uses), when I no longer have a bb from work.

All the best, y'll.

B B

Amazing that all these years later there are still no flip phones out there that I care to have.

Of course with a legacy plan I probably couldn't get it anyway...
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

Quote Originally Posted by i330 View Post
    Amazing that all these years later there are still no flip phones out there that I care to have.

Of course with a legacy plan I probably couldn't get it anyway...
    Nu?

BlazorBoy

Nu?

BlazorBoy
    whats this?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCena83 View Post
    whats this?
    An inside joke to I330, rather ethnic if that gives you a clue.

Any Day Now

Now that its purchase price is zero, I am a breath away from getting an Optimus S and giving my box of i500s and parts to donation. The only hit will be Everything Data 450 vs Fair and Flexible. But the former will offer a lot more services, considering the latter offers almost nothing. Problem is, Iíve lived my whole life without those services so I know I donít really need them. Talking about its online and camera capabilities.

Iím sure that once I get it Iíll wonder why the hell I waited so long, but Iím at the precipice where Iím just about to jump, so naturally unsure. I suppose if there was an approved PAM system that allowed me to ditch my current land ISP, so the new Plan price absorbed the land ISP price, that would do it. But all I hear is that Sprint would look the other way and thatís not approval. So freaking close...

This room is so empty now that I can hear an echo when I type. Anyway, I just ordered an Optimus and presuming I’ll love it and wonder why the hell I didn’t do it sooner, I guess I’m outta here. It’s been a kick... see ya.
    Last edited by jefboyardee; 01-07-2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Government Requirement

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Make sure to share your experience with the Optimus here when you get it... we like to talk about all PDAPhones!
    Mike - Been Converged?

Okay, here’s my experience so far, still waiting for it.

I knew the day would come that I’d have to abandon the clamshell for a candy bar, but never liked the idea of having the screen right out there in harm’s way. So I’m getting a Zagg screen protector beforehand, and installing that will be the first order of business.

I look forward to its audio capabilities and am getting an FM transmitter to send its music to my car stereo with no surgery required. That was a tip from this forum... thanks.

Finally, being wary of The Cloud and storing everything in it, I’m going to try mobisynapse, a Windows app that tries to mimic the Palm Desktop experience we were raised on. I’ll probably realize that was then and this is now, and embrace The Cloud.

Anyway, I see that I’m planning to make the Optimus behave like our ancient i500. I presume that schtick will be abandoned pretty quickly. More later...

Tell you what... I’m scared silly. Not just what the Optimus will do, but the fourteen trillion Android apps that want to climb onto my head. Remember back in ‘03ish when the i500 came out and baffled the universe with its capabilities? Just multiply that by, yes, fourteen trillion. Right now, I want to pull out my mailbox and hide it so they can’t deliver that damn Optimus and I can just Diddlebug my life away. Anyway, I don’t think I can write an intelligent report on the Optimus for several years. And by then the Optimus, superseded by the Brainiac Neural Implant, will seem to be the simplistic box the i500 has become.

Oh wow. It's been real quiet. You are correct.

Well, I'm still eye-balling the new BlackBerry ClamShell phone.