+ Reply to Thread

i500 Cable Web Tethering-why did it die? - Help

Hello,
    Just can't seem to part with my Sprint i500 cause I LOVE the flip format and can't afford a proper funeral to bury or cremate my 3 ebay i500's and move on..

2 questions:
    1) Is there any way to get on the net anymore with this phone? Webpro stopped working years ago but I was able (believe it or not) to get on the web via the AOL app on my phone till about a year ago? Any holdouts out there still getting their email or web access with the i5's?

2) Until about 4 months ago, (despite no web or "AOL Workaround" web access on the phone) I could still connect my i500 to my Macbook using a USB cable and get a slow emergency net connection on my laptop when i had no other option. I used it during power outages and when visiting my mom where there is no broadband or phone jacks to get on the net. It was just an emergency thing to get basic email but why did THIS stop working recently?

Any ideas?. Thanks!
    Norp - Upstate NY

Quote Originally Posted by Norp View Post
    Hello,
    Just can't seem to part with my Sprint i500 cause I LOVE the flip format and can't afford a proper funeral to bury or cremate my 3 ebay i500's and move on..

2 questions:
    1) Is there any way to get on the net anymore with this phone? Webpro stopped working years ago but I was able (believe it or not) to get on the web via the AOL app on my phone till about a year ago? Any holdouts out there still getting their email or web access with the i5's?

2) Until about 4 months ago, (despite no web or "AOL Workaround" web access on the phone) I could still connect my i500 to my Macbook using a USB cable and get a slow emergency net connection on my laptop when i had no other option. I used it during power outages and when visiting my mom where there is no broadband or phone jacks to get on the net. It was just an emergency thing to get basic email but why did THIS stop working recently?

Any ideas?. Thanks!
    Norp - Upstate NY
    This is something I really do not understand at all. Sorry I cannot help.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Less complicated question?

If people don't know anything about tethering does anyone know if there is ANY way to get on the web in 2011 to check email and lightly browse?
    Thanks
    Norp

Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    This is something I really do not understand at all. Sorry I cannot help.

BB

Administrator
    yes but you wont be able to do it on the i5. the technology and infrastructure is no longer supporting those legacy devices.

could be any number of reasons her. your device could be faulty in some sort of way. its really difficult to diagnose without having the device to play with.

count your stars you have had success with the device this long.

Webpro would have died because it is a proxied server that depends on Novarra, which shutdown their servers years ago.

Xiino was the only half way usable browser that persisted for a while. I have no idea if it still works, but it is worth a try if you don't have it.

I don't know why tethering stopped working for you. There is no reason I know of that 1xrtt tethering should be nonfunctional. Now if you are trying to do analog modem direct dial, there is a chance that Sprint has shut down some/all of the modems, but QNC should be fine. I use Verizon QNC every now and then. Are you trying to dial real modems or just use Sprint's QNC onto the Internet?

Oh and as far as email, the POP3 email clients should still work also (Eudora, Chattermail, etc).

You can also try the text ony Eudora browser to get into Yahoo mail, might work...