+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

no CD

I have also go no CD for my i500 (Ebay). I am trying to figure out how to hotsync. Ive got the drivers installed from samsung but the palmone website doesnt reference the i500 anymore? Can anyone help me out in getting the ISO of the original sprint CD or help me find the proper hotsync version?

Thanks

jlv posted this awesome link to the Samsung developer's site: http://developer.samsungwireless.co...spx?id=SPH-i500

There, you can download the iso of the original install CD with Palm desktop, Hotsync, drivers, and Pocket Mirror. You have to register, but it is free and no biggie.

After you download the iso, use Nero or your burning software to burn the image to a disc. There's a chance you'll have to do some tweaking of some files, though. See my previous posts in this thread from yesterday.

Good luck!

jlv

Re: no CD

Originally posted by bvrtulane
    Can anyone help me out in getting the ISO of the original sprint CD or help me find the proper hotsync version?
    A mystic, far-off voice says "Use the FAQ, Luke".

But I think it means, "use the FAQ link": The New i500 Faq List-Please Read This BEFORE Posting!!!

still looking

I appreciate the direction tip but I already have the drivers and I know where the palmone website is. I dont know which version of palm desktop to download. the site makes no reference of the i500. Does a version for one of the Treo's work?

the Palm m515 is fine.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

link

thanks for all who helped out. i know some of the info was in the FAQ and i did read it but still needed some clarification. here is a link for anyone else whos a dumba** like me and needs it spelled out for them.

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do.../palmdt_4.html

just fill in some name and some email address (doesnt have to work) and then download your version (depends if you need expense or not).

Thumbs up Which device to choose when downloading Desktop

Just got off the phone w/Samsung data support. They say you can choose any device that's listed; they all point to the same file.
    R/TK

jlv

Read the FAQ!

Read the FAQ!

Really, try to read the whole FAQ entry! I know it's a few lines long, but the answer is in there.

Did I mention to read the FAQ? It looks like this:
    Download Palm Desktop 4.1.4 here to avoid having to register at the above page):
    http ://www.palmone.com/us/support/d...k414_legal.html
    (that's quoted from the FAQ)

After you follow the link (that's in the FAQ), you get directly to a page that says:
    Download and View End User License Agreement

English
    PalmDesktopWin414EN.zip
    15.7 MB ZIP file
    (to be clear, that's NOT quoted from the FAQ, but it is quoted from the web page you get to when you follow the link in the FAQ)
    Last edited by jlv; 02-08-2005 at 09:48 PM.

jlv

Re: link

Originally posted by bvrtulane
    here is a link for anyone else whos a dumba** like me and needs it spelled out for them.
    Don't use that link. It goes to Palm Desktop 4.0.1. That's old.

(If you read the FAQ, it has the link to the most recent version of Palm Desktop, 4.1.4)

Really, try to read the whole FAQ entry! I know it's a few lines long, but the answer is in there.
    This seems to be a miscommunication. The FAQ I am referring to is "The New i500 Faq List-Please Read This BEFORE Posting!!!" Section 2, Palm/General Questions:

I Lost My CD! Where Can I Find The i500 Drivers?
    Linky
    Linky is all that's there, and it links to the Samsungtelecom.com webpage, which links to the PalmOne download webpage, where we were scratching our heads.

BTW, to which part of the FAQ are you referring?

R/TK

jlv
    That's the FAQ. Read the updates on the bottom of page 1 and the top of page 2. The link I posted above goes directly to the FAQ entry you want to read.

(and while you're at it, send a PM to i330 asking him to update the FAQ TOC.)

Found it; thanks!

R/TK

Unhappy NO SUCH LUCK!

I have tried everything mentioned in the previous messages in regards to loading the software needed for hotsyncing... and nothing seems to be working... please help me!

Did you download the iso from the samsung site and install it as outlined in this thread and the FAQ? Like I already said in this thread, you may have to tweak the file names in the install a bit.

I, too, had problems with the latest driver. However, the driver included on the samsung iso worked perfectly.

What exactly have you done so far?

The CD Image on the Samsung developer's site DOES NOT work. Whoever created the ISO for it, did it incorrectly and the file names are truncated to the old MSDOS 8.3 file naming convention.

If you want to take the time to rename all the files, I have included in this post a text file which includes the "real" filenames as well as the file size.

Extract the CD ISO to your harddrive and using the attached text file, rename the truncated file names.

I would be more than glad to make this ISO available to this board for all to download, if the webmaster doesn't mind.

The ISO is a very small file, only 54 mb when zipped, but too big to email.

Jeff

Unhappy

I am still having problems installing the software even after all the advice on this forum. I have have XP and downloaded the ISO, then extracted it to my desktop because whenever i would try to burn it to disc, i got an error.

so after extracting it to the desktop, i ran the installer and it said it cant find "Samsung SPH-i500 USB Driver and Tools.msi" so then i followed the advice in this thread to rename "SAMSUN~C" to "Samsung SPH-i500 USB Driver and Tools.msi" but it still says it can't find it. any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by waharris007
    UPDATE: Okay, here's what happened. For some reason, when I burned the iso in Nero, it shortened some file names. Therefore, the installer could not find a couple of critical files. If you have this problem, too, here's what I did:

1. Burn the iso to CD. Then, copy all the files from the CD onto a folder on your computer.

2. Open the "install" folder. If you have a file named "SAMSUN~C", rename it to "Samsung SPH-i500 USB Driver and Tools.msi".

3. If there is a file named "ISSCRI~A", rename it to "ISScript8.msi".

4. Start the install program.

5. It will not install the palm desktop because that file name changed, too. So, when the installation tanks, open the Software\PALMDE~2 folder, double click the exe, and install the palm destop manually.

6. THEN, re-start the original CD install, this time unchecking the "Palm desktop" when it asks you what you want to modify. Pocket mirror should then install successfully.

You may not need all this, but I did. Good luck!
    I did exactly as you said, but it still cannot find "Samsung SPH-i500 USB Driver and Tools.msi" file. Any suggestions? After you fix files names do you just click Setup to initiate or I have to launch something else?

When I did it, I just changed those two file names and then restarted the whole program install with the main .exe in the top folder.

I've since seen that there is a version of the palm desktop that includes the conduits to Outlook. That may solve all your problems. Read back and look for jlv's posts.

Originally posted by mchamoy
    I am still having problems installing the software even after all the advice on this forum. I have have XP and downloaded the ISO, then extracted it to my desktop because whenever i would try to burn it to disc, i got an error.

so after extracting it to the desktop, i ran the installer and it said it cant find "Samsung SPH-i500 USB Driver and Tools.msi" so then i followed the advice in this thread to rename "SAMSUN~C" to "Samsung SPH-i500 USB Driver and Tools.msi" but it still says it can't find it. any help would be appreciated.
    I just solved this problem. When you're changing that file name, do not include .msi at the end and it should work. At least it did for me.

Got refurb i500 to replace i330; no install CD

Sprint just gave me a refurbished i500 to replace my problematic i330. The problem is they did not have an installation CD to give me (they are still trying to locate one). I have looked in the faxed and tried to download the i500 drivers, etc. using the links provided, but it did not work. When I tried to open or run the program, i just got a box with question marks. Any other suggestions?

Also, I was not aware until I read the posts here and the online manual that I could not sync my old i330 data to the i500. So I actually gave up my i330 to Sprint without beaming my stuff to the new phone. I tried to get my i330 back from Sprint just to beam, but they already got rid of it. I've read the posts on how to actually transfer my old backup files, so I'll give it a try once I have the driver and Palm Desktop back on my computer. Wish me luck, and please give me suggestions if you know an easy foolproof way to do this.