Closed Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

lawsuit delay?

Will Palm's suit with Xerox affect release date of this phone? Just a thought...

Release Date Clues

Everything is pure speculation right now, but I took a look at the amount of time that passed between FCC certification of the I330 and the release of the I330 for sale on the Sprint network. Using that as a rough guide and comparing that to the date when the I500 was certified, February seems possible for the release of the I500. But, I would guess that March/April would be a more likely target.

Originally posted by mjorange
    :p You guys are so funny . I don't understand how anyone here can attempt to offer informed estimates of when the new Samsung models will be released. The truth is, you have no bloody idea! The I300 was due in August 2001 & the I330 in April 2002. What makes you so sure the I500 will be delivered any differently?
    I am glad I was able to make you, mjorange, smile, at least.

I think those dates you mentioned are even earlier speculations. However, for I500, I am basing on the fact that Samsung formally announced the product at CES last week. I am speculating (I didn't say I knew for a fact) that it will take about 3 months for the field testing to be done by Samsung and Sprint. It could get longer, of course. That's why they've been informally saying "before the summer".

Anyway, the phone will come out when it's ready (that is, 7135 isn't ready for Verizon, yet).

I saw your signature and agree that I330 is a great upgrade from I300 (my friend in Korea, who has one, told me that I330 had been "beta-tested" in Korea :p). But I am so far happy with I300, which I bought in Oct. 2001, and while waiting for I500, it's a fun diversion (at least to me) to speculate and count the days till one becomes available.

Cheers.
    Last edited by kboy; 01-20-2003 at 07:04 PM.
    i have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- edgar allan poe

don't take me too seriously... It wasn't a personal attack. I do recall, however, Sprint reps quoting an April release date for the 330 & likewise for the 300. The 330 was due far before December. I do hope the 500 arrives sooner, but I'm not counting on it! I hope your estimate is accurate.

Originally posted by mjorange
    don't take me too seriously... It wasn't a personal attack. I do recall, however, Sprint reps quoting an April release date for the 330 & likewise for the 300. The 330 was due far before December. I do hope the 500 arrives sooner, but I'm not counting on it! I hope your estimate is accurate.
    Not taken as such.

Well, I will be out of the country for a while, so I guess I can take my mine off of this I500 thingy for a while (but then I am going to Korea, so it may not be). Hopefully by the time I get back, I won't have to wait too long to get one.
    i have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- edgar allan poe

Cool Samsung advertisement for the i500

Don't know if you all already know this, but here is a website link to a Samsung advertisement I saw today.

http://www.testflysamsung.com/

The latest rumor from Sprint and a few other web pages is that the i500 will be due out in the Summer. That probably translates to October 04'.

Question $$$$

Just curious if any you guys that went to the show, asked how much this device is going to cost. I am thinking that it will be the same as the I330 at $500. Comments?

-C

I500 User
    Originally posted by jayzee
    The latest rumor from Sprint and a few other web pages is that the i500 will be due out in the Summer. That probably translates to October 04'.
    Hey Jayzee,

To what other web pages are you referring?

Originally posted by jayzee
    My thoughts exactly...

Probable March release.

I work for Best Buy in the corporate office, and am writing a video demoing the I500 to employees. The head of sales development in Digital, which includes cell phone, told me it was going to be on the shelves by March 1st. This is important, since the video will be shown to the employees the second week in March, and they want them to be able to tell customers the features and benefits. I'm going to be videotaping this phone (or the I700 if we can't get it) in the first week of February. I'll let you know what I find out (that I can pass on). I'm sure more informed people have made more informed predictions, but this is what I've heard.
    Thanks
    Jeff Hopkins

Jeff,
    You have good information. Unfortunately, I have heard that the date was just moved back to April. But it is possible that you have more current information than I, and it is also possible that I was told April just to keep me off my contact's back requesting (demanding really) my new phone.

homer

The Dawn of SmartPhones Tony_ensemble's Avatar
    I'll take April at this point. Sounds better than summer.

where is the phone?

damn this is crazy.... no 7135 on sprint (if any), no i500 yet... what are these people thinking??? comon sprint you are making alot of people angry... any news on the I500 release?

End of Feb/March

I work at Best Buy and the head of Sales Development in wireless phones keeps telling me "end of February, early March."

I just hope I can get one of the first ones, I'm psyched about this phone.

I'll post if I hear anything new.
    Thanks
    Jeff Hopkins

I500 release date

I really doubt it is going to be March 1st. The phone is still in development and testing stages. I am thinking more of a July August release date. Which upsets me, but on the same token gives more of a time frame for competitors products. For the last 6 months I had my heart on a 7135. Do to the fact the 7135 has taken so long to be released, and my needs or tastes have changed, I have switched my preference to the i500. Who knows by August there will probably be something better and the circle will continue. People will keep holding out and holding out and never buy one, because of the long delays in releasing them.

I am one of many who has eagerly awaited the Kyo 7135. In fact, I even jumped on the bandwagon and called the Sprint VP office and spoke with a senior analyst who tried to talk up the i500 as an alternative and mentioned for sure a March release. I would say March is what is in their minds at this moment.

Feel free to verify with

Maria Olmos
    Executive Analyst

at
    1-877-392-9824

But, please also put in a plug for them to carry the 7135. We all stand to gain from competition and it would indeed be good for them to carry both.

I am joining the i700 bandwagon however and am now much more interested in the possible release of this device which I beleive is superior to all the above.

jlv
    Originally posted by irishrjh
    We all stand to gain from competition and it would indeed be good for them to carry both.
    Think of it from a business point of view: what does Sprint or Verizon gain from carrying two nearly identical phones?

You could say they do that all the time (nearly identical Motorola, Samsung, Nokia, LG phones, etc.)

So, qualify the statement: what does Sprint or Verizon gain from carrying two nearly identical, high-priced, smartphones? I'd say nothing, simply because it will cost them more money to offer both phones.

The likelihood is that they are only going to sell N clamshell smartphones. If they carry both the 7153 and the i500, are they going to sell more than N total phones, or will sales of one cannibalize the other? I suspect the later.

I've recently been to South Korea and China; in both places I saw stores with massive selections of phones. The local carriers support almost any phone. The US market is not like that. Verizon and Sprint put too much (work, effort, money) into offering (supporting) what they consider just the right phones.

(FWIW: I'd love to see Sprint offer both, too. I just wish our cell phone market wasn't as backwards as it is.)

I saw an interesting documentary on Japan, China, etc with their technology compared to ours. They will put out as many phones, computers, and gadgets as they can, and the release time is not nearly as long as ours. They went on to say the people over there are extreme techies. For the most part a US computer buyer will purchase an average computer for his needs every few years. He will even opt to upgrade if it is a cheaper solution then purchasing new. The majority of the people over there buy the most expensive gadget with all the bells and upgrade yearly to the latest and greatest.

Good thing you posted this on a very Samsung centered forum. I am not one of the bite your head of 7135 crazies, but I must concede that there really is 2 main substantial differences between the 7135 and the i500. Picture the i500, now add the expandability of a memory card (SD slot) where you can add as many files, movies, pictures, songs, etc. AND, add an MP3 player so you can listen to music through either headphones or an external speaker anytime you like- I mean hours of music not a song or two. Those are really substantial upgrades. Granted, maybe these aren't differences to everyone-but I would sure like that added convergence feature.

The i700 will offer all of the above, albeit on a pocket PC format without the clamshell form factor. I won't even argue palm vs ppc.

Just somethings to consider

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast